• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Anyone else feels kinda disappointed of how most content from streaming services aren't getting a blu-ray and DVD release?

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, and not only shows but movies too. This is also discouraging when we talk about buying movies - for example - the fact that I can't put on my shelf whole MCU makes me less interested in buying movies that are available (cause If I cant have all of the MCU, then I will skip some of movies too - like Eternals). On the other hand, the quality of those shows isn't that good anyway, most of them looks like something that would work better shortened to 2,5h movie, some of them (Loki) doesn't even feel like something I'd like to revisit and there are some that I am not even interested in watching for a first time (Moonknight, Ms. Marvel).

But I would probably buy physical releases of "Hawkeye" and "Falcon & Winter Soldier" (and then cut them down to movie form.)

I wanted to buy "Greyhound" with Tom Hanks, sadly, it landed on one of streaming platforms and I've never heard of any plans of releasing it on the disc.

theomega

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree, there's for sure some digital content that deserves a physical release. I'm am afraid that by not release physical copies the shows/movies might get lost forever. Sure, the owning company will have a copy, but there won't be a copy in the hands of the people. If the company decided to never release it again, that show/movie might never be available anymore.
I think this also extends into the gaming community, but that's not a discussion for this forum.

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another big problem is that the companies can change and/or censor their movies and shows as they please and you can't get your hands on the original version if it ever gets a physical release (not legally anyway).

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has stalled on season 5....

I want a refund...

PLUS...a lot of content that does get released and is made in HD, gets just a DVD release...this will only encourage inapprpriate aquistion by some....

NOt to mention the many off-air recordings of rare movies that have never been released on DVD and now won't be televised and are not on streaming either...
Example, The Brothers Kamarazov...STarring Yul Bryner and William Shatner....YES...It is a thing!

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I held off on buying Caprica until I found out that there was a Scandinavian Blu-ray with English audio options. They only ever released the series on DVD in the US. I also ended up buying digital copies of Stargate Universe because they didn't release Season 2 on Blu-ray until this year! Those were both cable shows from the early 2000s, not streaming, but it's the same problem.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I've been buying more from iTunes now than ever just because Blu rays aren't being made for everything anymore. With enough time everything will probably be up for purchase but man it's frustrating to have a subscription as necessary part of a complete collection of anything.

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hate it.

I used to be a big collector. I can't tell if my interest dropped or the options did, but I rarely pick up home media anymore. It started with a general decline in effort for home releases. I took the DVD boom for granted in terms of extras and presentation. Bare bones releases are boring, but then a lot of my recent favourite things didn't even get that. I too mourn Daredevil season 3. Legion never got a blu ray release either which stung. As things have progressed, I've just had to get used to it.

I can't imagine being a Marvel or Star Wars collector now. I stopped actively caring about either property, owning a couple of films from each, but I'd be livid if I wanted that collection. I'm not paying Disney indefinitely for access. I wonder how South Park will move forward with home releases. They kept up for a long time, but the show is split between 2 streaming service exclusivity deals now ha.

Hoping the market will eventually adjust, and blu rays will emerge as more of a collectable with some care and attention again.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hate it.

I used to be a big collector. I can't tell if my interest dropped or the options did, but I rarely pick up home media anymore. It started with a general decline in effort for home releases. I took the DVD boom for granted in terms of extras and presentation. Bare bones releases are boring, but then a lot of my recent favourite things didn't even get that. I too mourn Daredevil season 3. Legion never got a blu ray release either which stung. As things have progressed, I've just had to get used to it.

I can't imagine being a Marvel or Star Wars collector now. I stopped actively caring about either property, owning a couple of films from each, but I'd be livid if I wanted that collection. I'm not paying Disney indefinitely for access. I wonder how South Park will move forward with home releases. They kept up for a long time, but the show is split between 2 streaming service exclusivity deals now ha.

Hoping the market will eventually adjust, and blu rays will emerge as more of a collectable with some care and attention again.
The problem is the demographic for content mapping and the window to entice collectors will close...

Example: The MASSIVE Clint Eastwood Set collectin ALL his films that he starred in or directed, on Blu Ray sold out. I can't imagine a Bob Hope or Humphrey Bogart BD set set ever emerging .....

Many of the TV shows emerging from the 60s are also passing their windows for sale and seeing them emerge on Streamers with a fee, is aborhent to me...luckily I own or receorded what I wanted over the past few decades and burnt to disc. I'm not paying to watch Hogan's Heroes as an example.

And where the F*** is M*A*S*H*??????????? The Tv series...it was shot on film and could easily be rematered and in fact has turned up on streamers...at least a a season or two. I WONT PAY IN PERPETUITY to lease it as you say ....I want to own it on BLU RAY or not at all (without the laughter track PERRLLEASE!!!!!

Ans then there are the cancelled series shich if they do not have an ending, who would want to go on the journey? Farscepe comes to mind which thankfully did get a conclusion after cancelation, but many others, will never be wrapped up and then their value in both markets becomes questionable long term.

I would like to see the powers that be for Star Trek have the balls to commision and event series for ENTERPRISE and skip over that dire finale frankly.

I'm still holding out for a bLu RAy release of Columbo...given it is being streamed and broadcast now in HD

Editzilla

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And where the F*** is M*A*S*H*??????????? The Tv series...it was shot on film and could easily be rematered and in fact has turned up on streamers...at least a a season or two. I WONT PAY IN PERPETUITY to lease it as you say ....I want to own it on BLU RAY or not at all (without the laughter track PERRLLEASE!!!!!

I'm still holding out for a bLu RAy release of Columbo...given it is being streamed and broadcast now in HD
MASH is in the hands of Fox/Disney so the DVD releases are probably all we're gonna get outside of a miracle.

There is a complete series Blu-Ray release of Columbo in Japan but it's ludicrously expensive.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MASH is in the hands of Fox/Disney so the DVD releases are probably all we're gonna get outside of a miracle.

There is a complete series Blu-Ray release of Columbo in Japan but it's ludicrously expensive.
I watche d1 episode of MASH on D+, and it was ok, but had the laughter track, which I detest...

and you are right on Columbo of course...Nearly $900!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd pay $125...TOPS!

Instead, I diligently recording COLMUBO on my PVR/BD Burner and burning to disc....so far I'm 60 % there on the randomly broadcast episodes, with adverts edited out of course...about 12 -15 eps on one BD 50....nice!

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Unless the streaming model drastically changes, I wouldn’t expect the lack of physical releases to change. It’s all about exclusive content and the streaming companies don’t want you to have other options. As a non-faneditor, it’s a shame because the need for content has also created series that are bloated. The Kenobi series is a perfect example. There just hasn’t been enough story there for six episodes. I’d love to see trimmed down versions of some of these Star Wars series. But alas, I doubt that will ever happen (at least properly).

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Unless the streaming model drastically changes, I wouldn’t expect the lack of physical releases to change. It’s all about exclusive content and the streaming companies don’t want you to have other options. As a non-faneditor, it’s a shame because the need for content has also created series that are bloated. The Kenobi series is a perfect example. There just hasn’t been enough story there for six episodes. I’d love to see trimmed down versions of some of these Star Wars series. But alas, I doubt that will ever happen (at least properly).
ONce the Kenobi and Mandalorian are released on a persistent download or disc I would imagine we can expect a 2hr movie for each...that is what they deserve, though I won't be doing them; I'll leave that to more invested talents to execute.

I also think we will see the services consolidate at some point...I for one am not going to pay for Netflix, Prime, Paramount + (which I wont any way), Disney, HBO, Showtime, Bravo (which I don't and is full of poo)...HAYU ( more poo) in perpetuity...I'm more likely to go with one for 3-6 moths at a time, exhaust what I want to watch and then move on...and rotate through them since I do not have time to watch the discs I own, some still being shinked wrapped...

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ONce the Kenobi and Mandalorian are released on a persistent download or disc I would imagine we can expect a 2hr movie for each...that is what they deserve, though I won't be doing them; I'll leave that to more invested talents to execute.
But that’s my point. I don’t believe we will see them released in an own-able format. I believe Disney would remove all physical copies of the Simpsons from existence if they could and I doubt you’ll ever see another physical release. They want your persistent subscription money, not your one-time purchase money.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
But that’s my point. I don’t believe we will see them released in an own-able format. I believe Disney would remove all physical copies of the Simpsons from existence if they could and I doubt you’ll ever see another physical release. They want your persistent subscription money, not your one-time purchase money.
I agree wholeheartedly...the question is...at what point does inflation and economic stress force the model to change and adapt? I don't think the prolifertion of streamers is sustainable in the long term...

What will consolidation look like...? HBO and SHOWTIME merge? Disney do a deal with Prime or Netflix....?

In the UK SKY TV is already bundling Netflix at no extra per-se charge and my overlapping netflix subscription was refunded with a drop in my Sky package too...it is already beginning...

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The only good thing about some of this is that many of the decisions on which older or more obscure movies make it to free to view broadcast TV are forgotten gems, since they are not triggered by the algorithms for streaming and end up on regular tv… which means I get an HD version onto a disc for free..

On the other hand, the Brothers Grimm ( original version) was released on Blu ray recently…a film believed to be unrestorable…and it looks magnificent!!!!

I’m also waiting on my crowdfunded restoration of Abbott and Costellos Jack and the Beanstalk…. So there are pockets of good physical releases still out there.

drvrjon

Reaction score
Trophy Points
honestly, i hate streaming and digital only content. i am a tactile person i want the physical media. if not for my kids having and paying for streaming services i wouldnt have any.

Pedantic Contrarian

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would say this enrages me more than disappoints me as it clearly shows that companies just want to milk there customers dry of there cash and considering all of the budget cuts especially in the UK there are gonna be those who end up heavily in debt or perhaps even homeless, saying that though I know a lot of people who have abandoned there subscriptions due to rising prices and the limitation of potential future physical releases which may eventually cause said companies to realise the error of there ways and release physical media of there products again.

Unfortunately said company practice will very likely give rise to pirating vigilantes and the companies who forced some of there consumers down those dark paths will find a way to absolve themselves of there cause and effect well blaming there customers and continuing to rack in money either way this Welshmen is not a happy chappy.

Top Bottom