• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Any Video Converter

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is currently what I'm using to convert MP4s. Despite the converter listing the files as 16/9 upon conversion, I got feedback on one edit I submitted that the aspect ratio was still heavily squashed. This particular edit was a 720p version also. The only other options on the aspect ratio menu are 4/3 and "Auto".

Sorry if I come across as a bit under-educated on these technical issues, but I was wondering if this was a reliable programme for editors, or if I'm just not using it properly.

I've never tried that program but I can reccomend Handbrake for making mp4s. It's free, it's super-easy to use, has a vast array of options and the results are excellent even on low bitrates and stunning on the higher settings.

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl:)

I have Handbrake now, and it seems to be working out for me a bit better.

I looked up some of the ideal settings for AVC via a tutorial, and the best size rate for vids on it is 1280x720

I've used Handbrake, then I get mad because it might fail on a particular title.
Then I try DVDFab, Wondershare or RipBot264 - invariably I get mad at them, too.
Handbrake is my preferred converter, but it does futz up the rare title, as do all converters.

Hey Zarius just out of interest what was the recommended bit rate for 720p? I usually have Handbrake set about 3000kps for 720p with 2 pass conversion switched on and the output is usually good, but am interested in what you've learned.

I have also recently started experimenting with "constant quality" instead and leaving it at the default of 20. I understand the principle of this option/setting but not sure how it makes its determinations...

Avid4D said:
Hey Zarius just out of interest what was the recommended bit rate for 720p?

I believe it was 5000 KPS on my program

I use plenty. Handbrake, Wondershare, MPEG Streamclip, ...
If one doesn't do it, the other one will :p
[MENTION=4825]Zarius[/MENTION] maybe you should try MPEG Streamclip? I'm sure a lot of other convertors can do it too, but this one I like in particular because it lets you select the clip you need from a DVD and rip only that single scene/part. Saves HDD space that way :-D

Handbrake and AVIDemux are excellent, another very good app is XMedia Recode, very versatile with lots of options, the recent versions have some bugs, specially with AAC audio, I stopped at version 3.0.0.0
You can read comments and get the current and older versions here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/XMedia-Recode
you will also find lots of useful tools on viedohelp.com

One issue I have about my version of Handbrake (version 10.0) is that the advance settings seem to be missing, I'm trying to use it to shrink down my vids for streaming purposes without losing the overall quality and every tutorial I see for it lists the advance settings

Another weird issue with AVC is that whenever you're converting the file, it actually increases the size of it

Zarius said:
One issue I have about my version of Handbrake (version 10.0) is that the advance settings seem to be missing,
What is your OS?
Handbrake v 10.0.6534 windows 64bit. On the video tab there is a tick box labeled "use advanced tab instead" (lower left side). if you tick the box, the advanced tab becomes populated with all the parameters. This only applies to H264, (MPEG-4, MPEG-2 and H265 do not have advanced options)
You can also try XMedia recode (windows only), I would recommend using version 3.0.0.0 you can download the portable version from videohelp.com

Zarius said:
Another weird issue with AVC is that whenever you're converting the file, it actually increases the size of it,
If you really want to shrink the video size and maintain quality, you may consider H265 or VP9, you can reduce the size by more than 50% without any perceived quality loss. See:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/h-265-vs-vp9-4k-video-codes-explained
http://www.streamingmedia.com/Artic...ke-UHD-Video-Possible-HEVC-Vs.-VP9-96926.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding
Handbrake is not very good with H265 and does not support VP9 yet, XMedia recode has reasonable support for VP9 but not H265, however there are other alternatives if you are interested. (GIYF;-))

So I got done talking to TomH1138, and it turns out he's been using AVC for his edits and seems to have had the same problems as I did with it, (squashed looking presentation when converting), I've asked him what settings he used.

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but hopefully over my work weekend (which is Wednesdays and Thursdays), I'll try to find time to do so.

I tried my luck again with this and used AVC to convert my "Trial of a Time Lord" edit and, as TMTYC pointed out, it came out too wide and squashed, I had left it on the 16/9 setting, but I did try it out with "Auto" and "4/3" the picture was fine

Having a bit more success with this now. Managed to convert my full-length files to levels acceptable for Vimeo hosting and will make smaller versions of the full HD edits easier to upload.

For Handbrake make sure you are using the 64bit version. It makes a world of a difference.
For the advance settings, Tools > Options. General > User Interface > Check Show Advanced Encoder Options Tab.
After that restart HandBrake and under the tab Video make sure use advanced is checked.
I find I generally get better results using the Optimized settings. If you aren't worried about compatibility: x264 Present very slow, x264 Tune Film, H.264 Profile High and H.264 Level 5.2 do some amazing work. As for RF setting (Quality) I find 22 works well for most HD content and 18 for DVD quality content. Lower is higher but not always better.

[MENTION=4825]Zarius[/MENTION] Sorry that I still haven't gotten back to you about AVC! Things at home have just been too hectic to have any editing time. It sounds like your problems might be resolved with Handbrake, though. (Let us know if that isn't the case.) I just downloaded Handbrake and I'm going to give it a try myself at some point!

Well I've had feedback on other edits I used with AVC on another forum I frequent (a Power Rangers edit), and apparently there were stretching problems as well as pointing out the frame rates per second were wrong for the cut. I was given the right information to correct it and used handbrake to achieve a better version.

Hope you're not too swamped by your workload mate, take it easy.

A friend of mine is using this now, and he got excited about me doing remounting that Wedding of Sarah Jane edit , and he wanted to do a companion piece for it based off the other SJA/DW crossover story from the following season of SJA, "Death of the Doctor". He used AVC to attain the necessary files but, unfortunately, the lip synching on the files was slightly out of sequence. At first we thought something went wrong with the rip and assumed it'd be fine on the other go around, but then it rendered it exactly the same way. I recommended Handbrake to him though, so maybe he'll have better fortune.

Found another option on the converter: "Sony TV H264", I've tried it out on a Batman v Superman fan trailer. Quality looks pretty good.#

Update: ROFL, Well, that shows I'm no sound judge of quality, I just ran it by an evaluator and he said it looked terrible, mainly because it was lifted off the Internet. I'll run this through a proper DVD file next time.

Back
Top Bottom