• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Any Pro-Version Davinci users familiar with .DRPs (got locked out of a project)?

Silver Screen Samurai

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello everyone!
Asking for help regarding an edit I've started, but haven't public announced yet. Due to current financial limitations at the moment, I'm working with the free version of Resolve without the ability to upgrade in the immediate future. Unfortunately that's lead to me getting locked out of a project, but I might be able to fix that with the help of a pro user willing to take a look at the DRP file (details on the issue below).

So I'll sometimes use the still-grabbing function of the software to create pieces of (or elements of) poster art in the application itself, rather than an external software like Adobe or Canva (to take advantage of the full range of tools in the fusion tab). On this occasion I decided to try something new, just to experiment, and create the poster for this edit fully in Davicini, rather than assembling it in an external software like Adobe/Canva (to see if it would make any difference in overall result). In doing that, I also decided to set the timeline's dimensions to be an aspect ratio of a 27x40 movie poster at <4K resolution, so that I could grab it as a still and export the finished poster directly from the project.

However, since doing that and exiting out of that project, I can now NO LONGER OPEN IT AT ALL. After some digging, a 27x40 movie poster's dimensions at a <4K resolution is outside of Davinci Resolve's "standard aspect ratios" (and therefore something only intended to be permissible in the Pro version). As a result, every time I attempt to open it I'm told I have to upgrade to the Pro version before I can do so. Currently I don't have the funds to do this, so that's a bit of a problem. Essentially, by creating a <4K timeline in a non-standard resolution, I've been locked out of my project unless I pay for an upgrade. So that's almost two months of work potentially gone because of a paywall.

HOWEVER, all is not lost. If I export the .DRP, and an editor with the PRO version were to import it, they'd be able to go in and DELETE the pesky "movie poster" ratio aspect timeline (realize that's a great poster that I spent a lot of time on gone, but the trade off is worth it), then send the NEW .DRP without it back to me (which would allow me to open it again). Anybody who's a pro user, familiar with .DRPs, willing to do this (I can PM the file)?

Not a pro user so cant help but good luck!! Sounds like an easy enough fix

Have you tried emailing Blackagic about it?
II'm not sure what their customer service is like, but they might be willing to fix it for you or give you a day of Pro so you can fix it.
Alternatively, there is a solution that shall not be named that wouldn't technically be unethical if used for this purpose and nothing else.

@Silver Screen Samurai, in case someone has this problem in the future, can you detail how it was fixed?
I exported the .DRP and private messaged it to somebody who had the Pro version. They were able to import it, and go in and change the offending timeline to an aspect ratio that's accepted on the free version. Once they did that, they exported the new .DRP and sent it back to me, allowing me to open it.

Back
Top Bottom