• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Antinatalism (The Tree of Life Fanedit)

Lolwut0

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A n t i n a t a l i s m

What is life? Is it desireable? Is imposing life moral? These are questions that are being explored in this short documentary. It starts with the beginning of the universe and ends in our modern times. It explores how life functions, what its tools are and how it applies to humans.

Facts:
- Footage from The Tree of Life
- Added Narrator who explains the Antinatalist Argument
- Complete New Soundtrack
- 24 Minute runtime (credits excluded)

The documentary is edited to fit the narration. Therefore most of the original film is cut.

Structure
- Creation of the Universe (Atoms -> Matter -> Planets - > Earth - > DNA molecule -> Dinosaurs -> Humans)
- Baby Stages of Humans (interaction with environment, sensations, comfort, discomfort)
- Adolesence (hunger vs. fear, senses, memory, learning, language)
- Adult Life (desire, sex, social groups, politics)
- Modern Life (humans as vessels of DNA molecule, life is competition, asking the antinatalist question)

3n8RNzQ.jpg

Lolwut0

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've finished the edit and I'm looking for test viewers.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lolwut0 was kind enough to give me a copy for preview, so here is my review.

A/V Quality - 10/10
Superb. 1080p MKV, crystal clear.

Editing - 10 visual / 8 audio
No issues on the visual end. Very clever cutting with the dialogue and music.

The only problem I had with the editing was the music was too loud. At times I would struggle to hear what the speaker was saying, or the louder notes would drown out certain words. Lower the music a decibel or so.

Narrative - 9
Wonderfully condensed and enhanced by the new audio lecture.

2 small suggestions. Cut the opening production title cards and add a little title card for yourself. And you don't need to run the full end credits. These are my opinion, doesn't really affect the content itself.

Enjoyment - 8
This was quite trippy and informative. What I could understand was amazing and mind-blowing. Unfortunately because the music was a little too loud (and I was high) sometimes I would zone out and just trip along to the visuals and melody, then go "Oh yeah the dude's still talking, shit what'd I miss."

Summaration:

While I suggest a few simple tweaks should be done, those don't stop me from approving this.

c5acc718e61b448866701be9ffbbbceac6041ae0768d7681fdbf958feabff873.jpg

Lolwut0

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for your review.

I will take care of the audio issues. I was also thinking of removing the title card and replacing it with a fanedit title card. I will also replace the credits with a simple "Antinatalism" at the end. I think it's necessary to cut to black because of the way the narrative ends.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congratulations on the approval. :) Would you like to start a new thread or have me move this one to the fix/mix forum?

Lolwut0

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks.

I've just finished uploading the fixed version. And there is already another one who will review it. So I'm not sure where I go from there.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No problem, just let me know when you're ready.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lolwut0 said:
Thanks.

I've just finished uploading the fixed version. And there is already another one who will review it. So I'm not sure where I go from there.

If the issues I brought up are all fixed, send a PM to TM2YC and he'll tell you the procedure for submitting your fanedit to the database. It's approved, you don't need a new review, but of course if you want to have it reviewed again before submitting, by all means.

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have just seen the edit.
Excellent edit on all levels, loved the visuals, loved the music score.
Did not like the narrator. there are narrators, and then there are narrators, My favorite narrator is Sir David Attenborough, I also like Morgan Freeman. They both have passion and love for their subjects.
The narrator you have chosen sounded to me like a bored lecturer addressing bored students about a subject that he does not really care about.
If you have a music score without the narrator, I would happily listen to that and immerse myself in the visuals.
Perhaps you can add another audio track without the narrator and give the audience a choice.
I hope my comments are not harsh, they are given with the best of intentions.

Lolwut0

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks again, for your honest review.

Yeah, I know the narrator is not a professional one. It's just a guy from youtube that gave a speech that blew me away and that's how I've got the idea for this edit. You can listen to the original speech here: (SPOILERS).
I will provide a second audio file that is just the soundtrack. So people can download it if they want to. However, I won't mux it with the actual documentary, because the narration is important for the actual documentary.

I've send TM2YC a PM, so I'm ready to go through the process.

Top Bottom