• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Animation Consecution (NOW LIVE)

When should the deadline be?

• Late May

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mid June

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Mid July

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Mid August

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
  • Poll closed .
Apologies to everyone for the delay in getting this finished and released.

However, here is a trailer for the Animation Consecution. I am aware there are a couple of instances of artefacting - these are down to Vimeo's encoding rather than the source files provided by the editors.

(Password is "fanedit.org")

I am not setting a hard date for release yet, but am aiming for early June. Release format will be DVD (as the original Consecution spec was SD, although several edits are HD) and accompanying Vimeo upload.

^ Great job with the trailer and I like that track whatever it is.

^ Great job with the trailer and I like that track whatever it is.
Thanks :) The song is called Maniac (although I've shortened it to suit the trailer) by a French band called CUIR. It's from an album called Album from earlier this year.

It's now early June so I figure I should update this. I've decided that I want all the edits in the consecution to have subtitles available, so I'm creating them along the way - while I think the effort is worth it, it's slow going. So early July is the new target release date.

The final release for this consecution is still ongoing. Creation of subtitles for each edit has been more time-consuming than I'd like, so I have been alternating this with other tasks needed to get the project together.

One thing I can show you is the DVD cover:

The slog towards release date continues, although due to Personal Life Intrusions I'm now aiming for an early September release for this.

One question I have for anyone reading this is around release format preference. My thinking is to offer the following:
  • NTSC DVD image
  • Archive download containing all edits as individual files
  • Streamable versions on Vimeo*

* = Assuming this is feasible without a paid account or significant quality degradation.

For the DVD I'd prefer to go for DVD9 as that lets me keep bitrates close to 8Mbps across the board. But it's also an 8.5 GB download and dual-layer DVD for anyone who plans to burn a copy.

Does anyone want me to put together a DVD5 image to go alongside the DVD9 and archive downloads?

The DVD9 image is finally done, at least to the point that I can now preview it for any issues ahead of release. (The DVD layout is probably more complicated than necessary but also allows me to have a bit of fun with things).

Once the DVD is done and uploaded, the only thing left is poster art - a couple of submissions already included this but it's nice to have something for IFDB. Not a blocker for the official release, though, and since we appear to be setting a record with this Consecution already for time taken to release, I won't hold things up for them.

All going well, this should be released in the next few days 🤞

That's great news! Looking forward to the release.

Once the DVD is done and uploaded, the only thing left is poster art - a couple of submissions already included this but it's nice to have something for IFDB.

Which edits need covers? I can put something together.

I made this sorta banner/title card for the consecution based on the really cool Star Wars Visions logo:

animationvisions.jpg

That is lovely work! Is there any chance you could create a version in red?

On the poster front, we need some for:
I was thinking it might be fun to have a Fake Criterion-style themed set of minimalist posters for the consecution, with a single image per poster summing up the theme. Unfortunately while I have first-pass ideas for the general concept getting it to a satisfactory state would probably take longer than I would like, and I don't want to hold things up. Happy to share what I've come up with if anyone else wants to give it a go :)

Last edited:
Oh grud, I can't believe I ended up letting this spill over into '22. November and December got eaten by real-life stuff and I've only really gotten back to looking at what's still outstanding in the last couple of days.

The DVD image is essentially done, I just need to re-check for a few minor bugs I found on my previous test burn. I've figured out a poster theme for the consecution overall and expect to have those done by the end of the week.

Once those are done, it's just uploading and officially releasing. I am hoping it can be released within the next fortnight.

*grumbles to self*

Dang subtitles are still making my life difficult, although on the plus side I finally figured out a good workflow for dealing with them. Once you have a subtitle file created and in the right format you can import it into Architect, and there's a kind of mini-timeline view where you can move individual subtitles around - but because you can also see the waveform of the audio, it's pretty fast work.

On the plus side, I managed to get the minimalist series of poster art for all the submissions done so every short will have at least 1 piece of poster art for release.

I'm still aiming to get this released in the next few days - I should have time to finish tweaking the subtitles and get the uploads started this weekend.

I was hoping to have had all the Consecution files uploaded this weekend and get them added to IFDB, but - of course - things weren't that simple.

On the plus side, I have finished the manual re-check of the subtitles and muxed them into the MKV versions of each short. I've finished the DVD cover artwork as well (I still need to create disc art, but given the theme of the disc cover it won't take long).

The DVD itself is almost certainly done - but I'm having to burn a copy to check if a weird playback issue I'm seeing in VLC is a software bug or an issue with my disc image. (One set of transition menus consistently cut off partway through playback when played within the DVD menu. Weirdly, when I go directly to the VOB file for the relevant transition menu, it plays fine. Hence the concern that it might be structural, so I will test on a PS2 and/or PS3).

I'm burning the DVD image to disc as I type and will do another test watch during the week. All going well I'll be uploading and submitting to info & IFDB before next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom