• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ANDREAS presents: STAR WARS - Episode I - The Ancient Lore [TPM Remade]

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Troken said:
Andreas, I guess you already know, but there seems to be an issue with your inbox? It's not possible to send you a PM.
Yes, sorry for the inconvience. This happen when my inbox gets full. It should work again now.

Galahaddulac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are there any news or updates on version 2? jsut curious to know when you are planning to release it! thanks!

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[UPDATE]

A lot of people has asked me about V2 and Star Wars, and I've thought a lot about the Star Wars community as a whole. This video, from Ahmed Best - the actor of Jar Jar Binks, has completely changed my mind about a lot. And especially the Star Wars community.

I did not know or ever choose to think about what love, passion and care there has to be, both involved but also shared, among a lot of certain individuals to create a character like Jar-Jar Binks. How much emotion and love you put into something you expect to be loved back only to get crushed in the most emotional and heartfelt of ways.

I have never been a monster towards anything Star Wars related. I've criticized - maybe even been a little rude at times, but I've never attacked the actor or the director or anyone who has ever poured their soul into the making of a film, or a project, or a "thing". Seeing now, as an adult nonetheless, how the SW community is acting towards the creative people involved in the making of Star Wars - just like back in 1999 and onwards, and how much the monster backslash might hurt the actors, the costume designers, the lightning technicians, and the smaller people involved is a terrifying thought. Some research into the topic and you will find horrifying articles. And I'm not speaking about criticism. I'm speaking about personal attacks, death threats - hell, even stalking and harsh, verbal language (and/or mocking) both in private as well as in public.

Fanediting for me has always been about either improving or altering something to what I consider to be a better, more interesting and perhaps more emotional product. The Ancient Lore adopts this exact philosophy.

I have for many days thought about discontinuing The Ancient Lore and Star Wars overall. I do not feel passion for the universe going forward (faults of both the community as well as Disney). I do not support the fanbase at all as most of them have turned into a mob - and I do not support how I am a continuing force of negative critique of the Prequel era, and importantly The Phantom Menace, be it inside the fanediting community or beyond.

I choose to leave Star Wars behind, proudly doing so, keeping what fond memories I have from EP I - VII. I also applaude every Star Wars fan that both love and care for the universe with decency and respect, regardless of how you feel about the movies from the past, present or maybe even future. Having our voices heard is crucial, but the manner of how you speak can sometimes be even more important than your message. 

I simply choose to distance myself from the toxic community it has become.

The Ancient Lore will still be be obtainable out of respect for the work done, and V2 will come to finish it down the line - but I hope that with this post I at least make my intentions clear. I have loads of respect for Ahmed Best and everyone ever involved with TPM and so should you all. This edit was only ever intended as a love letter to a movie I always felt had much more in it. Thank you, to George Lucas and LucasFilm and all the brilliant people involved!

Please view this work as a sign of respect and love for the universe, and not as a hate speech (which so many unfortunately seem to think it is).

Please close this thread.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Andreas" , I'm sorry to read that the inhuman behavior of a small group of Star Wars fanatics overshadows the (less vocal) joy of millions and ruins your enjoyment of the franchise.

For myself, your work into the Ancient Lore stands as an unmistakable labor of love. Your narrative changes (e.g. strengthening Qui-Gon's role and expanding Darth Maul's story and screen time) and technical care (e.g. cleaning up dialog) show that you love and respect the source material. If anyone interprets your fanedit otherwise, I believe it says more about them then about you.

I hope that you eventually return to the Star Wars universe, because I enjoy your work on it and it's obvious from the quality of your edit that it's given you enjoyment too.

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
@"Andreas" , I'm sorry to read that the inhuman behavior of a small group of Star Wars fanatics overshadows the (less vocal) joy of millions and ruins your enjoyment of the franchise.

For myself, your work into the Ancient Lore stands as an unmistakable labor of love. Your narrative changes (e.g. strengthening Qui-Gon's role and expanding Darth Maul's story and screen time) and technical care (e.g. cleaning up dialog) show that you love and respect the source material. If anyone interprets your fanedit otherwise, I believe it says more about them then about you.

I hope that you eventually return to the Star Wars universe, because I enjoy your work on it and it's obvious from the quality of your edit that it's given you enjoyment too.

Seconded. Hope you come back someday.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is really sad, but I do understand your decision. 

I don't think I'm going to close the thread, it will still be open if anyone wants to ask about the edit or something. However, you can make a note in the OP to state that you won't be making a V2/Episode II edit.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:

Thank you for sharing this video. It was distressing to watch, but I'm glad I watched it.
Fanedits are meant to bring out the best of a film, and I think you accomplished that with The Ancient Lore, and you and others have done that for Star Wars in general (and tons of other films obviously). I still don't like Jar Jar, but I would never tell that to Ahmed. He gave that performance his all, and the character's failures aren't his fault. If anybody is to blame, it's George Lucas, who I would also never dream of berating. He made the movie he wanted to make. There's no reason to tell an artist you don't like their work except to hurt them. Unless you're a director or acting coach giving constructive criticism, it's just not a good thing to do. Rian Johnson and Daisy Ridley don't deserve any of the hate they've gotten either, regardless of people's opinions of TLJ (which I love except for Canto Blight) or Rey (who I love wholeheartedly).

nodeerforamonth

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats on winning fanedit of the month!  

I sure wish I could find a way to get it, but it's not in any of the "usual" places, as far as I can find.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nodeerforamonth said:
Congrats on winning fanedit of the month!  

I sure wish I could find a way to get it, but it's not in any of the "usual" places, as far as I can find.

Pssssst
Have you messaged the creator about it, and posted about it in the Trade and Request forum?

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nodeerforamonth said:

Do not make requests in the forum except for the Trades & Requests section. The editor, @"Andreas" I is pretty active and should point you to the edit.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
Andreas said:
There's no reason to tell an artist you don't like their work except to hurt them. Unless you're a director or acting coach giving constructive criticism, it's just not a good thing to do.

jmdOMKdl.jpg

Parenting is pretty much a constant redirect at times. The key is to do so with pure intentions and returning with kindness.

Progress is most often achieved via a constructive feedback loop. The key is tact. The issue here is that many people don't employ it. I don't like Jar Jar as a character. I don't care for the directions Lucas took his movies. As a consumer of their product, it is perfectly appropriate to say such. As a fellow human being it should be my focus to share such with tact and understanding. Fanediting itself can be a tactful endeavor as it can express gratitude for the source and a rebuttal in its variance.

I hope people never stop expressing their preferences. I just hope that we all can learn to do so without invalidating the humanity of others.

I think Andreas achieved that with his Ancient Lore edit.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for your kind words and understanding, guys. 

If everyone had this line of thought and support for what a director and his actors do and did - whether they liked it or not; but expressed their opinion with care, tact and perhaps a sprinkle of humor - damn, what a world.

But unfortunately most Star Wars fans today are filled with hatred (i feel everything is a pun) and lack of respect due to the backlash after TLJ and Solo, which is causing major damage to the community. As an example, I've received several PMs over at OriginalTrilogy where (i suppose young and immature teenagers) applaude me for fixing the garbage that is TPM, that they hope George Lucas sees this so he can understand proper filmmaking (come on, dude), that Jar-Jar Binks actor should never act again, and even people mocking myself for even trying to "fix" the film. Haha, when thinking about it - it's a massacre over there.

But I don't want to end this project on a negative note, nor this post - so V2 will come, but just give people some time to calm down and some passion to come back, and we'll all be better of.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Asking Lucas to “understand what filmmaking really is” is absolutely ridiculous.  He may not be a good screenwriter or director, but, if only people knew he was considered the main experimental director of Hollywood’s New Wave, they would give that a second thought.  The man hasn’t only done Star Wars, and you know, it’s also pretty well directed.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
But I don't want to end this project on a negative note, nor this post - so V2 will come, but just give people some time to calm down and some passion to come back, and we'll all be better of.

Personally I think the greatest thing you can do is continue your work and promote the positive approach you've taken. There is toxicity out there, but the greatest way to fight back is to take a positive tone. @"CathyFulcherBaker" is a prime example of this. She takes the high road when others go low. Go for V2 and even Episode II, not because people think the story is trash, but because you see something spectacular in the source.

two-cents.png

somethingsamatter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
does anyone have the link to this please i have been looking and searching for days and no one will respond. Please somebody help me and send a link!

Capta1nKrunch

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am dying to see this yet it seems to be impossible to find. Qui Gonn is an underappreciated Star Wars character and I definitely want to see how Andreas handles him as the primary protagonist.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Capta1nKrunch said:
I am dying to see this yet it seems to be impossible to find. Qui Gonn is an underappreciated Star Wars character and I definitely want to see how Andreas handles him as the primary protagonist.

Welcome @"Capta1nKrunch", 

The long rectangle on top of FEOTM and below the secondary menu bar said:
If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

You should be able to acquire the edit through PM to the editor. @"Andreas" is usually pretty active and should point you to the edit soon. If not, you can also check the Edit Request Resource Form. Do not post requests in the forum except in the Trades/Requests forum.

Muffy

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi Andreas,
After watching your edit heres a review, simply put very well done  :D

Review:
When it comes to watching Episode I I've personally avoided watching it for so long I barely remember the film and as such also avoided the many fanedits over the years for fears of bring back those bad memories. As its been so long I finally gave in and watched Andreas edit and I'm glad I did.

What drew me to this edit was the reimagining of the narrative and using other source material to expand on much needed character development while omitting offensive scenes throughout some examples *SPOILERS* like expanding on the trade federations backstory to strengthen their motives, allowing the villains more screen time to give a sense of peril and also better introducing Dookus character to the storyline and reintroducing Jar-Jars as a member of the Jedis original crew sent from corusent. Is this film perfect? no. can the few issues be fixed? yes, quite easily.

The main issues are really only technical ones like Mauls sabre changing orange in some scenes, although you get the narrative point better with Dookus hologram throughout it still looks out of place in some scenes eg Jedi council scene @ 00:56:23 and some clunky subtitles one example of this is during the original films opening scenes on the trade federations ship which is now shown later in the film when Qui-Gons using his sabre to melt the bridges blast doors these are the new lines:

Nute Gunray: "close the blast doors... Were you born stupid?"
Rune: "this guy just wont give up!"
Nute Gunray: "shut up, your encouraging him" – encouraging? Should read something more like "shut up, stop admiring them!

Also something out of place is the heavy metal rift first heard at Tattooine when entering Mos Espa and the Maul scenes which brings you out of the Starwars film. Lastly Qui-Gons close up death scene @ 01:27:56 repeats itself but not sure if its intentional though.

Overall a very good edit from Andreas and a definite improvement over the theatrical, looking forward to the improvements version 2 of the Ancient Lore will bring.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can see why this won fan edit of the month! I was not expecting such an over hall on this movie. I LOVED IT! I hope you do the other 2 episodes so there is a complete trilogy that is consistent from one to the next. Looking forward to v2!

Top Bottom