• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ANDREAS presents: STAR WARS - Episode I - The Ancient Lore [TPM Remade]

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well first off, I had the problem of VLC not syncing the audio with the video. I tried to fix it, but I didn't think I'd bd able to get it perfect. So I tried watching it on something other than VLC, but the file format wasn't supported. So I tried putting it on a flash drive to watch on my ps4. First there was the problem of getting an error because the file was too big for the file system thing, so I formatted the flashdrive to NTFS from Fat32. But then the ps4 couldn't recognize a device with an NTFS system, and by that point I had to leave because I was being picked up for the weekend.

I think I might just watch it on my phone.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Given...

jrWHAG42 said:
I had a bunch of technical difficulties, so I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

and

jrWHAG42 said:
I had the problem of VLC not syncing the audio with the video.

and

Andreas said:
CourtlyHades296 said:
Will this appear at IFDB?

Yes, sir. Although it will have a Version II to smooth things out and fix a few errors

...are you quite sure this is ready to release?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Given...

jrWHAG42 said:
I had a bunch of technical difficulties, so I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

and

jrWHAG42 said:
I had the problem of VLC not syncing the audio with the video.

and

Andreas said:
CourtlyHades296 said:
Will this appear at IFDB?

Yes, sir. Although it will have a Version II to smooth things out and fix a few errors

I can assure you, it's all just on my end. VLC always messes up for me in different ways no matter what I'm watching.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A couple things:

1) VLC sucks and has for years. Try MPC-HC instead.
2) The PS4 won't read NTFS. Format your drive to ExFAT instead - that's readable by a PS4 and will get you past the 4GB FAT32 file size limit.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ChainsawAsh said:
A couple things:

1) VLC sucks and has for years. Try MPC-HC instead.
2) The PS4 won't read NTFS. Format your drive to ExFAT instead - that's readable by a PS4 and will get you past the 4GB FAT32 file size limit.

Thank you so so so much, I'll look into this all tomorrow.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Given that about 60-100 other people has experienced no such problems by now, then I would think so.

@"jrWHAG42" I hope you get it working!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
TM2YC said:
Given that about 60-100 other people has experienced no such problems by now, then I would think so.

I wasn't asking the opinions of 60-100 people, I was asking you, the person who made this edit and who just posted this:

Andreas said:
it will have a Version II to smooth things out and fix a few errors

So does it have errors and things that need smoothed out? (It's not a trick question, I simply want to be sure)

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I wasn't asking the opinions of 60-100 people, I was asking you, the person who made this edit and who just posted this:
You quoted @"jrWHAG42" and his VLC problems twice, giving me the impression you were concerned about the state of the project since it seemed like it couldn't be viewed, in which I told you that no other viewers had experienced that problem, therefore solving the question it seemed you had.

No, it does not have any errors or "bugs" that make it unable to watch or enjoy. Version II is simply a future version of said project with feedback in mind, as stated on previous page. If you have further questions maybe we should take them over PMs rather than clutter the thread with confusion? :D <3

Horrifyingly Hillarous

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is sort of unrelated but is there any chance you could to a guide on how you actually managed to mix the audio so well, it really is an impressive feat especially for a SW edit. I think it could benefit other editors down the road when it comes to this type of editing, I'll be watching TAL again when I get a chance to fully absorb the whole thing, also one more thing that sort of confused me plot wise, why exactly did Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan go to the trade federation ship after the council meeting ? speaking strictly in terms of TAL's continuity, wouldn't the Nemodians already know about the Jedi coming to investigate them ? or was it just them allowing them on board to kill them ?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
No, it does not have any errors or "bugs" that make it unable to watch or enjoy. Version II is simply a future version of said project with feedback in mind

That was all I wanted to know.

This edit is now on ifdb. Thread moved to completed.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats, @"Andreas"! The Ancient Lore has joined The Fanedit Lore! ;)

I'll definitely check this out. :)

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really loved this edit, @"Andreas"! Though I have a soft spot to The Phantom Menace, and I prefer some things in the original over The Ancient Lore, TAL is a vast improvement over the original.

I especially loved the added depth to the Neomoidians. Who’d have thought Nute Gunray of all people would be ruthless and threatening, but also sympathetic? I would love to learn more about this guy’s past. The new additions to Darth Maul with the fan film, subtitles, and unused trailer dialogue about fear, Maul becomes even more of an effective villain.

Technically speaking, at the beginning the pan down after the crawl stutters and skips frames which should be fixed, I remember Obi-Wan’s “We haven’t much time” being out of sync; Count Dooku’s hologram at the beginning of the movie is pretty hard to hear; the Neomoidian subtitles misspell “boycott” as “boycotte” and another thing I can’t remember atm, and I couldn’t make out what Padme says at the end of the ship scene. I think it was “Miss your mother” but its use is very abrupt and odd... But otherwise, I didn’t notice any other technical issue.

One small subtitle change I would recommend is making the villains refer to Dooku as Lord Tyrannus so the reveal at the end that it was Dooku that infiltrated the Council and is in kahoots with Sidious is actually shocking.

The ultimate fight of oppressive technology vs mother nature, freedom and independence vs corrupt bureaucracy and fascism, has never been so relatable and engaging. Thumbs way up!

EDIT: I have to be honest though, I really didn’t like the heavy use of Across the Stars. Some references are okay, but it got to the point of replacing Anakin’s Theme which is way more fitting, and the love theme being used for scenes without there being romance was weird.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Holy expletive! @"Andreas" , you really re-worked the dialog a lot. That took a lot of work. Like Yoda, I imagine you hear Qui-Gon in your mind too (over and over and over again). :D

For v2: At 0:07:01 - 0:07:03 the dialog is missing when Padme's advisor says something.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watching this now. 
A bit of audio sync error at the beginning on the ship, but mostly fine after that.
Masirismo is right about that and the Dooku being hard to hear. Also, along with Boycotte, there's also an occurance of him saying "Your people is mine" when I believe it should be Are. No big problems so far. Just taking notes as I'm watching so I don't forget. I'll edit this post as I go on if I remember to.

Edit
Audio sync error when Qui Gon is talking to Anakin at some point at the start of the end battle, telling him to stay safe or whatever. Also audio sync error when Anakin says "Now this is pod racing!".
Fight against Darth Maul at the end starts off a bit choppy. 
Also, a minor complaint, at the very end, after Yoda talks about the rule of two, Windu says "But which one was killed, the master or the apprentice?". The line feels forced to me, and I think he should just say "But which on was killed?" (or which one died, I forget what the line is.) 

Anyways, I finished watching this edit, and I thought it was really awesome. I loved almost everything about it. Maul's character was much more memorable this time around, as was Qui Gon. Obi Wan felt underused, like purely a side character with no purpose until the end, but that was probably a problem with the original as well. There isn't much that can fix that sadly. Also this made me realize that the Tatooine stuff really takes away from the rest of the film, but again, this is in the original too and can't really be fixed. Well, it might help if you use less meaningful music throughout it, but I think it works well enough. This is just my first time watching Phantom Menace with a critical eye, and I'm coming to realize that the source material is flawed. Your edit improves it heavily, and is a great alternative. 

Do you have plans to edit the other prequels down the line?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey @"Andreas" your M2T file is showing up as 1440x1080. This would make it a 4:3? Was this your intent?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Hey Andreas, your M2T file is showing up as 1440x1080. This would make it a 4:3? Was this your intent?

@andre

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Hey Andreas, your M2T file is showing up as 1440x1080. This would make it a 4:3? Was this your intent?

@andr

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
English subtitles are finished.

Having watched Ancient Lore with the proverbial fine-tooth comb, I am happy to confirm that this Phantom Menace edit has the most interesting, balanced narrative and pacing that I've seen!
Technically, there are a few transition glitches but nothing that can't be solved in v2. A noticeable color correction may be harder to perfect (I'm not sure, I'm not great at that).
Musically, some changes are clear improvements, some aren't, and some are a matter of taste. Depending on your taste, your idea of this balance will obviously change.

I'm eager for v2! Until then, v1 is already my preferred edit for Phantom Menace.

Troken

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas, I guess you already know, but there seems to be an issue with your inbox? It's not possible to send you a PM.

Top Bottom