• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ANDREAS presents: STAR WARS - Episode I - The Ancient Lore [TPM Remade]

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
Should the Sith not have red lightsabers, or does it fit well do you guys think? Narratively, I can imagine how much stronger it would be if the first time we ever see a red lightsaber would be in the hands of Darth Vader in Episode III, after Anakin turns bad. But then on the other hand, it would make no sense for Darth Maul and Dooku to have blue or green sabers, so I'm thinking no.

I don't think it's a good idea to change the Sith lightsabers because it makes no sense. Why should Darth Vader have red while Darth Maul, Count Dooku or Darth Sidious doesn't? At least Qui-Gon's new lightsaber serves a purpose. It never made sense with Mace Windu having one either. Why does he have one again? Oh right, because Samuel L. Jackson wanted one. :-?

In my opinion, since Mace Windu is a Jedi Guardian, he should have a blue lightsaber instead of purple or green. I would change some of the lightsabers from the background (unimportant in any Star Wars media) to yellow because Jedi Sentinels have yellow lightsabers. Maybe you could make some of the background Jedi into Jedi Sentinels as well. But, if it's too hard to correct it in the Arena battle, you don't have to do it. It's your choice. And yes, yellow is a lightsaber color. It just doesn't appear in the films or TV.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent feedback, guys. You've given me something to think about. As of right now I've settled on Maul having red, possibly a black saber. I will try the black and see how it looks and feels.

As for the Gungan battle, it will not be removed because my whole new narrative is held up by it - in a good way. Jar-Jar's clumsyness will be removed though.

Instead of talking about my new narrative, I can show you something :) Hold on for ten minutes.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
In my opinion, since Mace Windu is a Jedi Guardian, he should have a blue lightsaber instead of purple or green. I would change some of the lightsabers from the background (unimportant in any Star Wars media) to yellow because Jedi Sentinels have yellow lightsabers. Maybe you could make some of the background Jedi into Jedi Sentinels as well. But, if it's too hard to correct it in the Arena battle, you don't have to do it. It's your choice. And yes, yellow is a lightsaber color. It just doesn't appear in the films or TV.

Don't mix it up...

Jedi Guardians can have both green and blue lightsabers. Jedi Sentinels have yellow lightsabers and Consulars have green lightsabers as well, although they scarcely used them.

Although those are the broad terms, in practice it's rather well defined:

Blue: Jedi Guardian (physical Force use)
Green: Jedi Consular (Force knowledge, passive use)
Yellow: Jedi Sentinel (combat and educational balance of skills)

That makes Mace Windu hardly a fit for a Jedi Sentinel (at least in the way he's portrayed on screen in TPM). Qui-Gon on the other hand would be much more suited for that, since he's much more adept at trying to resolve conflict through speech. The problem with Mace Windu is that his views and actions change dramatically throughout the trilogy. In TPM you'd say Consular. In AOTC you'd say Sentinel since he joins the Geonosis attack and in ROTS you'd think Guardian since all he does is fight (and lose). Overall he'd be suited with a yellow lightsaber as a Sentinel but he hardly acts like it at first.

The 'general consensus' is that green was for Jedi Masters, blue was for Jedi Knights or Padawans and red was for the Sith.

I suggest the following:

Qui-Gon: yellow.
Obi-Wan: blue.
Anakin: blue.
Yoda: green.
Mace Windu: yellow.
Dooku: yellow or red.

Qui-Gon and Mace would get yellow since, of all the Jedis we see they seem to be the most knowledgeable and better combatants. Yoda is in an entire category of his own and would therefore get green (also since he fits the Consular role the most).
Dooku, also the formidable opponent, would get yellow or red, being a special case as a fallen Jedi.
Vader (not Anakin but Vader specifically), Palpatine and Maul would all get red.

That way you create a clear distinction between the Jedi that also signifies their importance:
-Yoda
-Mace and Qui-Gon (in that order)
-Obi-Wan, Anakin, and all of the others.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[UPDATE] Narrative Changes

There is audio there that is not fully completed and will need tweaking. This is only to show you the premise of how changes in story occur throughout my edit.

As the Jedi enter the Trade Federation Ship, the storyline of Palpatine and Queen Amidala in the Senate hearing will occur in-between. This is to create a suspenseful middle-act for the movie, and to not fall asleep watching politic blabla and actually be interested in the story. Also, having changed this to a suspenseful middle-act situation also alters the story greatly:

1. The Jedi are going offensive, trying to find out about this mysterious 'Sith Lord'. Much more is now at stake and their motivations clear, because Naboo has already been taken and the Senate is already rebelling.
2. The Nemodians think that the two Jedi, dressed as the Chancellors's Ambassadors, are actually Ambassadors that Palpatine has sent to oversee them. This is explained later, and explains why the Nemodians let the Jedi enter their ship.
3. Following their escape, they meet back down on the planet with the Queen and Jar-Jar, where Jar-Jar suggests for the Jedi to follow them to Gunga City so they can negotiate the Queen's plans.
4. The Jedi swim down to Gunga City with Jar-Jar to talk reason with Big Boss Nass. After persuation from Obi-Wan, Boss Nass sees this as an oppurtunity, and tells Jar-Jar that he has brought the Naboo and the Gungans together.

All of this is cut together smoothly, and flows perfectly together.

Obi-Wan and Jar-Jar's roles now also gets significantly more important, as they play a huge part in the persuation of the Gungan Army. Also we get the feeling that Obi-Wan actually plays a bigger part now as well, as there is a lot of action for him forward after sitting out the opening act of the movie much.

Masirimso17 said:
I don't think it's a good idea to change the Sith lightsabers because it makes no sense. Why should Darth Vader have red while Darth Maul, Count Dooku or Darth Sidious doesn't? At least Qui-Gon's new lightsaber serves a purpose. It never made sense with Mace Windu having one either. Why does he have one again? Oh right, because Samuel L. Jackson wanted one.
Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_25.gif

-----

I agree with you. And the retardation of Lucas about the purpose of the purple saber is moronic. Just imagine what would happen if L. Jackson asked for Mace Windu to be incorporated as a force ghost in the Originial Trilogy. "Luuuke! Luuukh! I'm Mace fucking Windu!"

As for the arena battle and Count Dooku, all those things can be changed. But I'm not working on it now though, and I probably won't before after Christmas due to a long backpacking throughout Indonesia.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Very interesting. Ideally you'd have a tweaked FX shot were it's the Red Jedi cruiser thing on the platform rather than the Naboo royal starship. However an easier fix would be to switch the blue cruiser that pulls into shot to red.

yoshif8tures

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting ideas. I'm just disappointed that you'll be away from your work while you're backpacking [emoji12]
Re: lightsabers, I'd prefer it if mace had blue and qui gon purple, but all Sith red, but dooku kinda half way and more like a dark Jedi, probably blue or green.

Re: Alien language, they're really hard to hear and maybe a bit more volume would be better.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
From Wookieepedia

Blue indicated a Jedi Guardian, a Jedi who used the Force on a more physical level. Green indicated a Jedi Consular, a Jedi who preferred to reflect on the mysteries of the Force and fight the dark side at its heart. Yellow indicated a Jedi Sentinel, a Jedi who honed their skills in a balance of combat and scholarly pursuits.
This distinction fell out of practice in later years when most Jedi used blue or green crystals from Ilum Caves based on personal choice, and then the use of crystals coming from various source worlds became marginal. Purple, yellow, and orange crystals were still used by some Jedi until the fall of the Jedi Order, but they were exceedingly rare, and often passed down through generations.

I originally based my answers on the Knights of the Old Republic game but according to Wookieepedia this fell apart in a few thousand years. So let's just forget the whole Jedi Guardian-Blue, Jedi Consular-Green, Jedi Sentinel-Yellow and Sith-Red thingy. Mace should have a blue lightsaber and Qui-Gon should have a purple lightsaber for his rouge style.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yoshif8tures said:
Interesting ideas. I'm just disappointed that you'll be away from your work while you're backpacking [emoji12]
Re: lightsabers, I'd prefer it if mace had blue and qui gon purple, but all Sith red, but dooku kinda half way and more like a dark Jedi, probably blue or green.

Re: Alien language, they're really hard to hear and maybe a bit more volume would be better.
Hehe! Hopefully I will get this done before I leave, but damn is there much to do. Been rotoscoping sabers and implenting alien language for five hours straight now, and I'm not even near 10 percent done with all that.

As for the volume on the aliens, it has been given greater volume now.

Also, Darth Maul will have a red saber like in the theatrical. I tried black, and it didn't look like a lightsaber anymore, more like a painted sword. I'm actually kinda reliefed I didn't like it, else I would have to rotoscope more - as if I didn't have enough.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
^ Very interesting. Ideally you'd have a tweaked FX shot were it's the Red Jedi cruiser thing on the platform rather than the Naboo royal starship. However an easier fix would be to switch the blue cruiser that pulls into shot to red.
I missed out on this post. Saw it now.

I'm thinking this is quite impossible without model work. I'd actually need a replica of the platform and the Red Cruiser to pull your first idea of, or I'd have to do the biggest rotoscoping work man has ever seen. Released in 2048.

As for your second idea, I am unsure what you ment by switching color of the blue cruiser?

However, right now I'm trying to alter existing footage to remove the Naboo Cruiser. In a worst case scenario though, there needs to be no change. The Jedi could simply be waiting on that particular platform for their transport to arrive, and the Naboo Cruiser just happens to be in the background and on the same platform. It's probably the closest platform from where they spend the night.

Things like these I can make clearer with dialogue. Like Obi-Wan saying "Our ship arrives soon, Master".

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
I'm thinking this is quite impossible without model work.

For a shot like that with a virtual camera moving in 3-Dimensions, altering it would be near impossible. But creating your own static shot in the style of a traditional matte painting (Like was used on the OT), is more manegable. I found a few hi-res SW images on google...

Radiant_VII_docked.png

SW_Coruscant.jpg

East_Platform.png

...and combine. This is a very rough 15 minute job...

17129207089_2ee44a55c9_o.jpg

...but you get the idea. Combine the foreground and background with a subtle camera move and you've got the illusion of movement. It might just be possible.

Andreas said:
As for your second idea, I am unsure what you ment by switching color of the blue cruiser?

We see a similar-ish blue/grey cruiser pull up to park behind Gui-Gon. If you could recolour the markings to red/grey. Then it might be just enough to give the feeling that the jedi cruiser as arrived.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
For a shot like that with a virtual camera moving in 3-Dimensions, altering it would be near impossible. But creating your own static shot in the style of a traditional matte painting (Like was used on the OT), is more manegable. I found a few hi-res SW images on google...

Radiant_VII_docked.png

SW_Coruscant.jpg

East_Platform.png

...and combine. This is a very rough 15 minute job...

17129207089_2ee44a55c9_o.jpg

...but you get the idea. Combine the foreground and background with a subtle camera move and you've got the illusion of movement. It might just be possible.

We see a similar-ish blue/grey cruiser pull up to park behind Gui-Gon. If you could recolour the markings to red/grey. Then it might be just enough to give the feeling that the jedi cruiser as arrived.
Very good ideas. The matte painting is a hard job without any Photoshop skills from my part, so I tried to alternate with a mattepainted platform and a live-action Coruscant background from Episode II. It's not a good shot, but it could work out with some more work.

I also tried to alter the color of the ship coming up besides Qui-Gon, and that worked wonders! I'll work more on both and see what I can do.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Mace should have a blue lightsaber and Qui-Gon should have a purple lightsaber for his rogue style. Yellow, purple and orange crystals became rare so Yoda, as the most powerful of the Jedi deserves a rare yellow lightsaber. Maul and Dooku should remain as having Red lightsabers, and Sidious, as the most powerful of the Sith should have a rare orange lightsaber.
Now we're talking :) Now to get Andreas to agree with it :p

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[VIDEO TEASER] Maul contacts his Master on Tatooine

It is a rough cut, with lots more of work to do. But it gives you the premise :)

This helps develop Maul as a better villain, and gives the connection between Master and apprentice more soul. You never see them in a personal space talk as Master and apprentice (except for the boring scene on Coruscant), and I thought it really necessary in the development of Maul as a character.

JDubyew

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Holy... Whoa. After your Revisited edits I never thought you'd go down a completely different route like you have with a completely different film. VERY much anticipating how this turns out, hats off to you for being so ambitious and for having such a unique idea.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It needs a bit of polish to be honest, but I can see the intent and I like it a lot. I know the scene is very short and you have little to work with, but sometimes it feels as if Palpatine interrupts him.
The one question I had was that his voice sounds a bit too distorted perhaps?
I get that doing that allows you to create your own dialogue, but to me personally it doesn't really strike me as a language but more as gibberish with a deep voice. Have you tried reversing his dialogue, or something like that? Just throwing suggestions out there, nothing but constructive criticism here :)

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
It needs a bit of polish to be honest, but I can see the intent and I like it a lot. I know the scene is very short and you have little to work with, but sometimes it feels as if Palpatine interrupts him.
The one question I had was that his voice sounds a bit too distorted perhaps?
I get that doing that allows you to create your own dialogue, but to me personally it doesn't really strike me as a language but more as gibberish with a deep voice. Have you tried reversing his dialogue, or something like that? Just throwing suggestions out there, nothing but constructive criticism here :)
Yes, it really does. It was only to show the premise, and I am happy you liked it. It has already been improved greatly since the posting of that video and up until now. I've even rotoscoped Darth Maul into the shot speaking lines, and it's gonna be pretty sweet once it's all cleaned up.

Also, as for the language, I personally think it works fine. It's not really a known language, so it shouldn't really be understandable. I think it takes some getting used to, because you know how it is supposed to sound like with the original voices. However, if you don't think this is the case, I could probably look more into it and make it sound more coherent if possible.

And the interruption is gone as well. It was all really rushed to showcase the idea, but I think it was a bad decision as it creates more confusion for you guys than pleasure.

I will try reversing the dialogue. Don't know why I haven't thought about the simplest of solutions. I'll give a heads up when I've tried it. Thank you for feedback! It's always appreciated, and takes the head out of the sand ;)

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You're welcome about the voice reversal tip, if it helps at all. If you like the voice, keep it. Don't change it just because one person doesn't like it. I'm sure when I watch the edit I won't even notice or even grow to like it :)

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1. I am very excited about this concept, and would like it now please.

2. I and a few of my friends are trained and experienced actors. If you need any voice work for any of your changes, let me know, I'd be delighted to assist any way I can.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spence said:
1. I am very excited about this concept, and would like it now please.

2. I and a few of my friends are trained and experienced actors. If you need any voice work for any of your changes, let me know, I'd be delighted to assist any way I can.
This might actually come in handy. I'll give you a shoutout if I need any voice work done, which I probably will.

This is a crazy idea - and it would require tremendous amount of unpaid work from your parts, but if any of you would be up for the challenge to do the voice of Jar-Jar as a more serious and less annoying creature, that'd be awesome. I'd hate to do it myself.

In a worst case scenario, I'll just change the pitch and reverb of Jar-Jar's voice to make him sound more mature and intelligent.

Top Bottom