• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ANDREAS presents: STAR WARS - Episode I - The Ancient Lore [TPM Remade]

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spence said:
That could work! Maybe go straight to Watto and Qui gon settling the bet and leave out the celebration at the end of the race.
Yeah! Good idea! It would help to transfer the tone of that particular ending to stick more over in the next shot.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
Yeah! Good idea! It would help to transfer the tone of that particular ending to stick more over in the next shot.

That could also be a good place to put Darth Maul arriving on the planet, assuming he's still doing that in your version. You could go from the understated imperial march to a full version as Maul's ship lands in the desert.

Sorry I'm responding so much, I'm quite excited about your ideas! I was looking to do something drastic with TPM and was hitting a brick wall. Your ideas are definitely in the direction I was hoping to figure out.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, this is actually really cool and making me interested in Episode 1 again.

Smithers

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
As I started creating the rough cut for my edit early March and ideas were bobbeling, I implented the Force Theme on a close-up at Qui-Gon before the following shot of Anakin releasing himself from Sebulba's Pod, as if Qui-Gon used some of his force and helped Anakin. It turned out very powerful, and then I thought: a boy, who has been a slave all his life - witnessing his mother and himself having to do things no human should be told and ordered to do, would leave him a little scared and is probably one of the reasons he is able to do the evil things he does later on in life. He doesn't have a full understanding of wrong and right, and might do things out of boundaries for the people he love.

So in my edit, when Anakin - under the force theme - pulls himself from Sebulba's Pod, he intentionally pushes him so hard away that - with the lust for finishing the race, making his mother proud and getting the money to the Jedi he looks up to and promised to obtain for - kills Sebulba doing so. I thought this was very powerful, and kinda teases and showcases Anakin's lack of compassion for the people he dislikes, and what he is capable of doing for the people he loves.

That actually sounds really awesome! Anakin uses the force and his instincts against those who hurt him! That's actually pretty dark, especially for TPM which isn't really dark at all. This edit is going to kick some serious ass.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Comedian Peter Serafinowicz (The voice of DM) did this interview with fellow comedian Richard Herring...

http://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/richard_herring_lst_podcast/episode_12_peter_serafinowicz/

...where he talks about his experience of voiceing DM. It's hilarious! But he also reads out that "Tone Poem" thing ^ at about 19.5 minutes in, obviously it's clean of music. Might come in handy.

spence said:
You could always look at other roles that Peter Serafinowicz has played, as his voice is pretty similar to what he did with Maul in most films.

For instance, if you wanted him to call the Jedi "a bunch of A-holes" you could use Guardians of the Galaxy!

I'm filing these under "posts that could have helped me four years ago."

;)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought about how good it would to use that Darth Maul bit (Given his lack of lines) then thought where? If you can figure out a way to use it, I'll be interested in seeing the result.

TV's Frink said:
I'm filing these under "posts that could have helped me four years ago."

;)

Here is some more Serafinowicz just for you (NSFW) which could still be used in the Ridiculous OT (From 1.28)...

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
*opening teaser saved for another time*

judgmentalpigeon

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw your opening tease before you took it down, along with what you said. I had some thoughts. For the most part I like your changes, and I think that idea you are playing with in the middle is very clever.

However, i disagree with you on the opening shot. I think it might be stronger if you didn't see the royal ship from behind as your first shot, and instead see it from the front, coming away from the planet - the exact opposite of a new hope. This might also introduce it better, as I don't believe the first shot from behind which you used showed the trade federation.

Loved what you did with the dialogue. I can't wait to see what you do next. :)

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Smithers said:
Oops, already watched it [emoji6] [emoji15]
Motherf----

judgmentalpigeon said:
I saw your opening tease before you took it down, along with what you said. I had some thoughts. For the most part I like your changes, and I think that idea you are playing with in the middle is very clever.

However, i disagree with you on the opening shot. I think it might be stronger if you didn't see the royal ship from behind as your first shot, and instead see it from the front, coming away from the planet - the exact opposite of a new hope. This might also introduce it better, as I don't believe the first shot from behind which you used showed the trade federation.

Loved what you did with the dialogue. I can't wait to see what you do next. :)
Great idea. I'll see what I can cook up when I come back home from work today.

Brett Nelson

Reaction score
Trophy Points
spence said:
That could also be a good place to put Darth Maul arriving on the planet, assuming he's still doing that in your version. You could go from the understated imperial march to a full version as Maul's ship lands in the desert.

Sorry I'm responding so much, I'm quite excited about your ideas! I was looking to do something drastic with TPM and was hitting a brick wall. Your ideas are definitely in the direction I was hoping to figure out.

Agree that this is a good place to do at least something sith related, either the arrival, or if he's already there, something else.

Project sounds awesome. I'm an audio engineer, if you need help tweaking any sound effects, I could give it a shot.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Damn this is exciting stuff!!!! :) Never thought I'd be interested in a TPM edit again. I love how radical your changes are! :clap2:

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brett Nelson said:
Agree that this is a good place to do at least something sith related, either the arrival, or if he's already there, something else.

Project sounds awesome. I'm an audio engineer, if you need help tweaking any sound effects, I could give it a shot.
Agree on it being perfect timing for the arrival.

And I'll definitetly note down your set of skills. They will probably come in handy one way or another. Thanks.

By the way, you wouldn't happen to give a try at creating a sound for a sinister communication transmission? One to use for the Sidious scenes. It would be cool to give those scenes an extra little edge to them, maybe even an ambience. Maybe even a little danger to some of the sounds, as if something might break or attack. Uneasyness, really.

Kal-El said:
Damn this is exciting stuff!!!! :) Never thought I'd be interested in a TPM edit again. I love how radical your changes are! :clap2:
Hehe, glad to hear. I think it will be amazing when it's done. The involvement and interest in this project from all parts is going to create something very special, I think.

Brett Nelson

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
By the way, you wouldn't happen to give a try at creating a sound for a sinister communication transmission? One to use for the Sidious scenes. It would be cool to give those scenes an extra little edge to them, maybe even an ambience.

Any examples or more specific ideas?

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brett Nelson said:

Brett Nelson said:
Any examples or more specific ideas?
Let's say we have three different sounds.

Nr. 1 is a sound of a communication transmission coming through (like when Sidious' hologram shows up).
Nr. 2 would be a background ambience of the communication transmission being online.
Nr. 3 would be the communication transmission being turned off (the hologram disappearing).

And maybe even a little danger to some of the sounds. Some sort of uneasyness, really, to give the scenes some extra edge and punch. Especially the ambience.

ShortRound24

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit it shaping up to be something quite unique, I really like the ideas presented in this thread. If I may chime in with some extra thoughts.

While Peter Serafinowicz is the original voice for Maul, (learning this makes Spaced even funnier) I can see it being hard to cleanly add more lines of his.

Unless you want to recast Maul's voice with a another actor, The Clone Wars series has five episodes that feature a fleshed out Maul played by Sam Witwer. What's even better, is that The Clone Wars centre channel is completely clean from music.

Smithers

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ShortRound24 said:
What's even better, is that The Clone Wars centre channel is completely clean from music.

I didn't know that, that's actually really good news to me as I'm recasting Grievous with Maul in the PT

ShortRound24

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Smithers said:
I didn't know that, that's actually really good news to me as I'm recasting Grievous with Maul in the PT

Yeah, I was playing around with the final episodes from Season 5 and found that the centre channel is clean from music while dialogue is being spoken. There's still sound effects though.

Interesting choice with the Grievous switch. There's definitely a lot of Maul dialogue from Clone Wars that could suite this change, especially in regards to Maul seeking revenge on Obi-Wan.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So a couple of updates for you guys...

[UPDATE 1: The Dark Lords speak]
The Darth Maul on Tatooine sequence, although not yet finished, is framed and done. You will notice new changes, Darth Maul close-ups and new dialogue, a new Sidious' voice (that will be replaced by Spence's excellent Sidious voice later on in production) and much more.

[UPDATE 2: A Powerful Climax]
I'm also working on the scene where Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan is confronted by Darth Maul, telling the others ''We'll handle this''. In that scene now, before Maul reveals his double-bladed saber and takes off his hood, he says 'Fear. Fear is my ally,' and then he has a little smirk on his face. And then, music kicks off and the saberfight begins! It's really badass, and I think it adds more soul to his character when we understand that - at the end, that this guy - he simply just wants to kill. He's a murdering madman, a puppet for the Dark Lord. It kinda reveals his whole arc in one, single sentence and leaves no doubt about his need to inflict fear and death upon others.

[UPDATE 3: Anakin using the Force]
So as I talked about on the previous page(s), Anakin using the force will add to his character. As mentioned before, in my edit Anakin purposefully kills Sebulba to free himself from his enemy's pod, using the force. I think it has become a really powerful moment, and I managed to get it pretty dark, which I think fit the new scenery perfectly. It still needs some tweaking (read: rotoscoping) as one shot zoom's in on Sebulba's Pod and dead corpse, and some more audio for the clip, but otherwise it is really impactful and dark.

[UPDATE 5: Peter Serafinowicz]
I've sent two emails to this beloved man in the hopes of him recording a few lines as Darth Maul for me, and told him briefly about the project. If I get him to do four-five lines which I have in mind, it would help make Maul a stronger character, a greater understanding of the Sith and some more Maul screentime.

[UPDATE 5: Opening]
The opening has gone through many changes, and has been extended with about fifteen seconds of extra screentime. Some banter between characters, some more flying, some more shooting. Literally some more Star Wars, really.

On a more general note, apart from these last big updates mentioned just above, I've done some general audio work and keyframing. I also, in the opening shots of the movie, had to remove Obi-Wan in a shot standing next to Qui-Gon, because he in this moment had just been seen sitting down, talking to Mace Windu on the Com. Rotoscoped him out.

Top Bottom