• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ANDREAS presents: STAR WARS - Episode I - The Ancient Lore [TPM Remade]

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
This might actually come in handy. I'll give you a shoutout if I need any voice work done, which I probably will.

This is a crazy idea - and it would require tremendous amount of unpaid work from your parts, but if any of you would be up for the challenge to do the voice of Jar-Jar as a more serious and less annoying creature, that'd be awesome. I'd hate to do it myself.

In a worst case scenario, I'll just change the pitch and reverb of Jar-Jar's voice to make him sound more mature and intelligent.

Well yes, I'd be interested, but a lot of work will have to go into that from your end as well.

For instance, I'd need to know more detail about what you'd want the character to really be, or at least sound like. If his personality is going to be different to the one in the film. Maybe some examples of actors or characters you like that you think would work?

The other tricky thing is making your new dialogue scripts fit to the pacing of the scene and also the lip movements of the Jar Jar character. This is process is slightly less fun than having an alligator bite off you leg.

But yes, I'm up for the challenge if you decide to go down that road!

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spence said:
Well yes, I'd be interested, but a lot of work will have to go into that from your end as well.

For instance, I'd need to know more detail about what you'd want the character to really be, or at least sound like. If his personality is going to be different to the one in the film. Maybe some examples of actors or characters you like that you think would work?

The other tricky thing is making your new dialogue scripts fit to the pacing of the scene and also the lip movements of the Jar Jar character. This is process is slightly less fun than having an alligator bite off you leg.

But yes, I'm up for the challenge if you decide to go down that road!
I think the story would benefit greatly from it, but I will have to finish my rough cut first so that the big picture is very clear. Then, with the rough cut done, I could send it to you and we could discuss the character and the story and how we think his personality would benefit it all and dicuss dialogue there after. This could be big. :)

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can offer my services for voicework as well if you need another voice. I know I'm not a very active or involved member of the community so feel free to turn me down, I won't be offended.

darth_ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have always wished for a little greater development of Darth Maul as a character. It certainly is a bummer he had so little dialogue, because while many consider his fight the best of the bunch, it carries very little emotional weight. If you wanted to use the original Maul voice, there is some dialogue in one of the TV spots that might be useful, though I'm not sure how you'd slip it in.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
I can offer my services for voicework as well if you need another voice. I know I'm not a very active or involved member of the community so feel free to turn me down, I won't be offended.
Definitely. Thanks. Apart from Jar-Jar, I might need voicework on Boss Nass and some background Gungans talking. I'll give you a shoutout on PM if/when I could need this done? :)

darth_ender said:
I have always wished for a little greater development of Darth Maul as a character. It certainly is a bummer he had so little dialogue, because while many consider his fight the best of the bunch, it carries very little emotional weight. If you wanted to use the original Maul voice, there is some dialogue in one of the TV spots that might be useful, though I'm not sure how you'd slip it in.

Already had this one, but as you said - hard to slip in. The dialogue is 2-channeled and with loud music playing in the background, so it was pretty noisy, but - problem solved, because:
TM2YC said:
Comedian Peter Serafinowicz (The voice of DM) did this interview with fellow comedian Richard Herring...

http://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/richard_herring_lst_podcast/episode_12_peter_serafinowicz/

...where he talks about his experience of voiceing DM. It's hilarious! But he also reads out that "Tone Poem" thing ^ at about 19.5 minutes in, obviously it's clean of music. Might come in handy.
Brilliant! Just brilliant, man! Thank you! You have no idea how hard I tried to find the poem without any sound and with a clean and clear sharpness in the voice. This is credit-worthy. Now I'll certainly bring even more texture to that scene.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You could always look at other roles that Peter Serafinowicz has played, as his voice is pretty similar to what he did with Maul in most films.

For instance, if you wanted him to call the Jedi "a bunch of A-holes" you could use Guardians of the Galaxy!

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spence said:
You could always look at other roles that Peter Serafinowicz has played, as his voice is pretty similar to what he did with Maul in most films.

For instance, if you wanted him to call the Jedi "a bunch of A-holes" you could use Guardians of the Galaxy!
Haha, I think I would go for some more menacing lines than such. Does he have any other initmidating characters up his sleeve that resemble the exact same voice as Darth Maul?

And by the way, removal of midichlorians, chosen one and virgin birth are all but removed. I might preserve the Midichlorian Count scene on Tatooine, and change the name of it. I just don't want Anakin to be thought of as a great Jedi before he has even started his training. It diminishes his growth as a character throughout, and presents him as Jesus to the story. Anakin should, in my opinion, be this humble soul that makes one bad decision after another, not realizing it, and gets pushed over the edge after watching his mother die on Tatooine. I hope this is comforting for anyone who wondered how i would tackle this.

Feel free to disagree if you think one of the subplots should be kept in though, and why.

yoshif8tures

Reaction score
Trophy Points
All good ideas, always hated the Virgin birth.
Do you think your edit will take as long as adywan takes?

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
Haha, I think I would go for some more menacing lines than such. Does he have any other initmidating characters up his sleeve that resemble the exact same voice as Darth Maul?

And by the way, removal of midichlorians, chosen one and virgin birth are all but removed. I might preserve the Midichlorian Count scene on Tatooine, and change the name of it. I just don't want Anakin to be thought of as a great Jedi before he has even started his training. It diminishes his growth as a character throughout, and presents him as Jesus to the story. Anakin should, in my opinion, be this humble soul that makes one bad decision after another, not realizing it, and gets pushed over the edge after watching his mother die on Tatooine. I hope this is comforting for anyone who wondered how i would tackle this.

Feel free to disagree if you think one of the subplots should be kept in though, and why.

Personally I think these are all good changes. The Virgin birth and Midichlorians make everything very pre-determined, making it Anakin's destiny to become what he becomes. The problem with that is it removes a lot of the choice from Anakin as a character, so he's less involved in his own story. It's much more compelling to watch him struggle with what's happening than feel like it has to happen no matter what.

Admittedly, this is just a problem with being a prequel, as it DOES have to happen to him. But making it more of an internal struggle is much more compelling to watch.

The "chosen one" thing is just bunk anyway, as the prophecy ends up not working out the way it is expected to. And since we've all seen Star Wars, we know that's how it'll shake out, so why even bother?

I don't know that the rest of the footage will support this, but anything you can do to strengthen Anakin as a character is most welcome.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yoshif8tures said:
All good ideas, always hated the Virgin birth.
Do you think your edit will take as long as adywan takes?
Yes, the virgin birth subplot is horrendous! I'm out of angry words when I think about Lucas' approach to the character of Anakin. Luckily, Jake Lloyd is a tremendous actor when you remove horrible dialouge he has been given or to much screentime. He works as a character pretty good when he doesn't do shit like thank the queen, cry about being cold or asking silly questions. There really is a strong character in TPM.

I also noticed how much stronger Qui-Gon and Anakin becomes, when we get to know them - in this edit - at 10-15 minute marks, instead of at 40-50 like in TPM. The difference is that we're not bored and confused when we get to know them now, because character development and audience caring transpires early, as it should.

It really depends on so many things, that it'd be hard to say. There are two things clear though:
1. It will not be released before it is near perfect, as nothing is.
2. I AM gonna travel for four months from August to December, so if it's not done before that, a Spring release for 2016 would make sense.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas, going back to the voice acting idea, I had a thought. If you have trouble fitting new lines to the mouth movements/syllables of Jar Jar and other characters, you could have your voice actors record gibberish that matches the syllables and just use subtitles.

I think this would be a more elegant solution than 1, having new lines that don't match the mouth of the speaking character, or 2, using a real foreign language track that might make an uncomfortable viewing experience for any to whom the language isn't foreign. Plus, it alleviates a lot of the problems that come with dialogue replacement, and it wouldn't be out of place, since it's Star Wars.

As long as the person recording the gibberish is somewhat consistent, this should sound pretty close to a "language" that you could further distort with audio editing if you wanted. But anyway, that's the idea: subtitles! WITH voice acting! A real double-whammy.

Another idea, regarding your most recent post. Helping Anakin's character. It would be great if Anakin was actually shown using the force. Maybe he could be the reason the bet works out, or he could be shown closing his eyes before doing something impressive in the pod race, maybe with some Qui Gon voiceover of "use the force" or something.. this one is obviously a far less fleshed out idea.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Another idea, regarding your most recent post. Helping Anakin's character. It would be great if Anakin was actually shown using the force. Maybe he could be the reason the bet works out, or he could be shown closing his eyes before doing something impressive in the pod race, maybe with some Qui Gon voiceover of "use the force" or something.. this one is obviously a far less fleshed out idea.

You're onto something interesting there. Perhaps a rather direct call back to the "Use the Force, Luke" moment from ANH? That would be pretty fantastic, especially if it was used during the Pod Race or something.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
spence said:
You're onto something interesting there. Perhaps a rather direct call back to the "Use the Force, Luke" moment from ANH? That would be pretty fantastic, especially if it was used during the Pod Race or something.

Precisely.

Assuming the space battle was used and inspiration was taken from L8WRTR so Anakin's actions are not accidents but deliberate good piloting, there could be a call-back to "use the force" again toward the end of the film if the seed of the idea is planted early enough.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I prefer l8wrtr's battle to the theatrical version but I like Q2(?)'s version where Anakin isn't even in the battle even better.

Smithers

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:

There is a scene in the pod race where a piece of anakin's podracer comes loose and he has to fix it with a magnet. Is it possible to rescore the scene to have more emotional music and make jake Lloyd just fix it with the force? And maybe have the "use your instincts" line in the background too. That would really reflect ANH and show how strong anakin is with the force even as a child.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Andreas, going back to the voice acting idea, I had a thought. If you have trouble fitting new lines to the mouth movements/syllables of Jar Jar and other characters, you could have your voice actors record gibberish that matches the syllables and just use subtitles.

I think this would be a more elegant solution than 1, having new lines that don't match the mouth of the speaking character, or 2, using a real foreign language track that might make an uncomfortable viewing experience for any to whom the language isn't foreign. Plus, it alleviates a lot of the problems that come with dialogue replacement, and it wouldn't be out of place, since it's Star Wars.

As long as the person recording the gibberish is somewhat consistent, this should sound pretty close to a "language" that you could further distort with audio editing if you wanted. But anyway, that's the idea: subtitles! WITH voice acting! A real double-whammy.

Brilliant ideas, really. Great thinking. Both on the Jar-Jar, and the part about Anakin using the force. This is a must now, and will be looked into later tonight.

The other ideas about creating a parallel to ANH, and create a bridge between Anakin's forcepowers at the Pod Race and the Spacebattle at the end of the movie, are great suggestions. I already envision right now the force theme playing as Anakin is stuck into Sebulba's Pod, Anakin closing his eyes, and then the Pod's releasing from eachother and Sebulba dying. Oh, and did I say dying? Well, yes. Hehe. Let me explain:

As I started creating the rough cut for my edit early March and ideas were bobbeling, I implented the Force Theme on a close-up at Qui-Gon before the following shot of Anakin releasing himself from Sebulba's Pod, as if Qui-Gon used some of his force and helped Anakin. It turned out very powerful, and then I thought: a boy, who has been a slave all his life - witnessing his mother and himself having to do things no human should be told and ordered to do, would leave him a little scared and is probably one of the reasons he is able to do the evil things he does later on in life. He doesn't have a full understanding of wrong and right, and might do things out of boundaries for the people he love.

So in my edit, when Anakin - under the force theme - pulls himself from Sebulba's Pod, he intentionally pushes him so hard away that - with the lust for finishing the race, making his mother proud and getting the money to the Jedi he looks up to and promised to obtain for - kills Sebulba doing so. I thought this was very powerful, and kinda teases and showcases Anakin's lack of compassion for the people he dislikes, and what he is capable of doing for the people he loves.

Now, imagine that; but removing Qui-Gon force implications, and instead the showcasing of Anakin using the force to relieve himself from Sebulba's Pod and then killing him. I think this is going to be a very powerful scene, with the premise of a darker future ahead - when you look back at it from a standpoint where you know his fate.

Smithers said:
There is a scene in the pod race where a piece of anakin's podracer comes loose and he has to fix it with a magnet. Is it possible to rescore the scene to have more emotional music and make jake Lloyd just fix it with the force? And maybe have the "use your instincts" line in the background too. That would really reflect ANH and show how strong anakin is with the force even as a child.
I think the scene would be more powerful if it happens the way I mentioned up above.

However, the 'Use your instincts' line would be a great addition as it would make it clear for the audience that the force is what helped him out of the situation and that he is strong in it, and would also - as you pointed out - reflect upon what happens to Luke in ANH when Obi-Wan tells him to use the force.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
Brilliant ideas, really. Great thinking. Both on the Jar-Jar, and the part about Anakin using the force. This is a must now, and will be looked into later tonight.

The other ideas about creating a parallel to ANH, and create a bridge between Anakin's forcepowers at the Pod Race and the Spacebattle at the end of the movie, are great suggestions. I already envision right now the force theme playing as Anakin is stuck into Sebulba's Pod, Anakin closing his eyes, and then the Pod's releasing from eachother and Sebulba dying. Oh, and did I say dying? Well, yes. Hehe. Let me explain:

As I started creating the rough cut for my edit early March and ideas were bobbeling, I implented the Force Theme on a close-up at Qui-Gon before the following shot of Anakin releasing himself from Sebulba's Pod, as if Qui-Gon used some of his force and helped Anakin. It turned out very powerful, and then I thought: a boy, who has been a slave all his life - witnessing his mother and himself having to do things no human should be told and ordered to do, would leave him a little scared and is probably one of the reasons he is able to do the evil things he does later on in life. He doesn't have a full understanding of wrong and right, and might do things out of boundaries for the people he love.

So in my edit, when Anakin - under the force theme - pulls himself from Sebulba's Pod, he intentionally pushes him so hard away that - with the lust for finishing the race, making his mother proud and getting the money to the Jedi he looks up to and promised to obtain for - kills Sebulba doing so. I thought this was very powerful, and kinda teases and showcases Anakin's lack of compassion for the people he dislikes, and what he is capable of doing for the people he loves.

Now, imagine that; but removing Qui-Gon force implications, and instead the showcasing of Anakin using the force to relieve himself from Sebulba's Pod and then killing him. I think this is going to be a very powerful scene, with the premise of a darker future ahead - when you look back at it from a standpoint where you know his fate.

I think the scene would be more powerful if it happens the way I mentioned up above.

However, the 'Use your instincts' line would be a great addition, and would - as you pointed out - reflect what happens to Luke in ANH with Obi-Wan telling Luke to use the force.

It's an interesting suggestions so long as the tone supports it. It may be very difficult to turn that moment into a dark one. A triumphant one, sure. Anakin uses the force to free his pod. But to go from that to Sebulba being killed to celebrating finishing the race seems like the darker moment will get lost in the shuffle.

Not that I don't think it could work, I just think it'll be tricky!

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spence said:
It's an interesting suggestions so long as the tone supports it. It may be very difficult to turn that moment into a dark one. A triumphant one, sure. Anakin uses the force to free his pod. But to go from that to Sebulba being killed to celebrating finishing the race seems like the darker moment will get lost in the shuffle.

Not that I don't think it could work, I just think it'll be tricky!
Oh, I love when things are tricky! That's why I do this. I already have many different ideas of how I could pull it of, and one of the strongest right now is:

After freeing his Pod from Sebulba's, Sebulba crashing and dying, Anakin stops at the field to take in the celebration and cheering for his triumphant victory.
Then, as the cheering slowly fades out in the background of the next shot - which is this; we zoom in on Sebulba's Pod laying broken in the dirty sand with a slow and soft ambience of the Imperial March in the background. Then the screen fades to black, holds it there for a second, and we open in on a new shot.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
Oh, I love when things are tricky! That's why I do this. I already have many different ideas of how I could pull it of, and one of the strongest right now is:

After freeing his Pod from Sebulba's, Sebulba crashing and dying, Anakin stops at the field to take in the celebration and cheering for his triumphant victory.
Then, as the cheering slowly fades out in the background of the next shot - which is this; we zoom in on Sebulba's Pod laying broken in the dirty sand with a slow and soft ambience of the Imperial March in the background. Then the screen fades to black, holds it there for a second, and we open in on a new shot.
That could work! Maybe go straight to Watto and Qui gon settling the bet and leave out the celebration at the end of the race.

Top Bottom