• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

ANDREAS presents: STAR WARS - Episode I - The Ancient Lore [TPM Remade]

CourtlyHades296 said:
Andreas, how far in are we when we meet Anakin in this edit?
Around the 17 minute mark, with a complete running time (with credits) at about 1 hour and 42 minutes.

Hello again, people! And thank you for last time! Your input was greatly appreciated, on what I think is now a very well-crafted and strong scene in the senate hearing and with the overshadowing of Maul on Naboo.

Now, I have good and bad news.

From August of, I'm beginning to compete in bodybuilding as well as starting school again. This will mean little to no time to do anything, with any of my edits - especially this massive beast.

To finish it due to the end of summer, I will need help. And not just any type of help! It's rotoscoping help! The funniest fun stuff in all of fun! If i could get help to rotoscope Qui-Gon's saber (to purple like the rest of the movie) from right after Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Maul clash sabers in the generator room (you know, that cinematic stare they give eachother before cut to next scene) and all the way to the end of the battle. Everything else I have done and completed, as far as rotoscoping goes.

Credit will of course be given.

If someone could help me do this, I will have time to finish audio transitions, dialogue problems, visual color grading tweaks, sound effects and all the other little things that will complete the full picture in time for a summer release. The edit is very much finished, but there are these little details left to nitpick - and this last rotoscoping nightmare.

I'd appreciate the help, seeing as I've been very strict about doing eeeeverything myself that I could do myself. But this is a fanedit for the fans, and I'd be honored to have a fan help me out. 

You can either send me a PM or respond here, that's completely up to you.

Thank you! Thank you all! I think this edit will be worth the wait, and I hope to blow you all away. It is an honor my friends.

It will absolutely be worth it!  I hope it.  
Unfortunately, I have no experience in rotoscoping and therefore cannot lend much help.  I do support in all possible ways!

Things I was not expecting upon opening this thread:

1. Andreas is a bodybuilder
2. The Ancient Lore is almost done
3. A fan editor is a bodybuilder? Holy shit!

Edit for serious: Good for you, man! I get how life and fanediting needs to be balanced, I seriously underestimated how much this semester would eat into my fanediting time. I could have a go at the rotoscoping of lightsabers, but I'm worried I couldn't make it look consistent with yours.

We all have our real life to worry about. :(

I could also have a go at the rotoscoping, but I'm not exactly sure how that works... :D

Canon Editor said:
It will absolutely be worth it!  I hope it.  
Unfortunately, I have no experience in rotoscoping and therefore cannot lend much help.  I do support in all possible ways!
Thank you, brother! Well, you can always have a go at a CD disc art if you'd like. I already have a beautiful cover art from @"theryaney". Hehe!
Zamros said:
Things I was not expecting upon opening this thread:

1. Andreas is a bodybuilder
2. The Ancient Lore is almost done
3. A fan editor is a bodybuilder? Holy shit!

Edit for serious: Good for you, man! I get how life and fanediting needs to be balanced, I seriously underestimated how much this semester would eat into my fanediting time. I could have a go at the rotoscoping of lightsabers, but I'm worried I couldn't make it look consistent with yours.
Haha! Yeah, it must be a little shocking. Fanediting doesn't necessarily strike the broad stripes of the bodybuilding world, but we all have our hobby's. :p

And yes, it's getting there! Finally!

Yes, school is more time consuming than i want to admit to myself sometimes. Unfortunately. But that's how the world works. Sometimes you gotta do not what you want, but what you need. Bleh.

I'd love for you to have a go! If you're worried about the color, just look at my earlier clips. If you're more worried about the rotoscoping details around the saber (getting it right), it's just all about rotoscoping the outline of the laserbeam, add some fade, and play with the colors when the lighting change. All help is good help! Please feel free to try, brother! <3
theryaney said:
We all have our real life to worry about. :(

I could also have a go at the rotoscoping, but I'm not exactly sure how that works... :D
Yeah :/ I really want this finished for the summer! For all of us!

Haha! It's actually not that hard for the sabers, it's just time consuming. A video tutorial or two at YouTube (go for the short ones) should seriously teach you everything you need to know in a short amount of time. I'd love all the help I can get!

[Video Update]

So, a while back I disbanded the idea of having Dooku show up on the Jedi Council. Simple reasons were:
1. He's showing up in a telecom at the beginning of the movie.
2. He's showing up twice at the end of the movie.

It felt like this would be baby steps enough to set him up as a villain for EP II, and these scenes work. So why bother?

However, if any of you feel to suggest something to make it work, feel free to do so. Here is the completed work before disbanding it:

The clip works well.  I'm not sure about Dooku's "The enemy is defeated" though...
Furthermore, there is a frame that shouldn't be there at 0:58. 
Lastly, Mace Windu's position towards the end of the clip (after Dooku's second line) seems to be jumping around, and I found that distracting, but I don't remember if that is the same in the original film or if it is a consequence of your additions.

Overall, except the first line of dialogue, Dooku's addition works, in my opinion.  Well done, as... always! :p

My thoughts:

• There is a flash frame 0:57
  • Dooku saying "that's absurd" is random, almost to the point of being comical. It feels like something out of one of Frinks "ridiculous" edits. 
  • Generally, I would say Dooku dialogue needs work. I don't feel like his presence currently adds anything to the scene, and it feels like he is there just for the sake of him being shown on the council - I know that's kind of the point, but it shouldn't feel that way. Even if he only has one line, that one line needs to add to the scene and not be superfluous. 
  • Visually, it's weird only seeing him with close shots and him not being there when we see wider shots of the council. Placing him in background shots would work wonders and make his presence seem more natural. 

Don't disband Dooku. Only having him show up at the beginning and the end runs the risk of people forgetting he was in the movie and then accusing him of coming out of nowhere. Plus having him, Maul, and Palpatine being characters that first/only show up as holograms plays very well into the idea of them being "phantom menaces" (even if that's no longer the title of the movie).

I would look for more dialogue, but the stuff you have right now is serviceable. I would take @"The Scribbling Man"'s advice and make it so that Dooku has a seat at the council.

Here's my take on how you could possibly add him into the scene; it's a very rough version mind you (did it in only a few minutes), but I feel that this helps get the idea across.
iO259pCl.jpg

Wow, you guys never fail to amaze me! Always great feedback!

1. The flash frame is the product of rendering a scene I didn't intend to work any more on. Sorry about that. Looks lazy, I know.
2. I agree about Dooku's dialogue. It's stiff, pointless - and just there for the sake of him to be there and his presence felt. I needed something for him to say to make it feel authentic whilst editing it. All ideas for potentinal Dooku dialogue is welcome!
3. And yes, I will indeed have to have him in the background! As some of you might have noticed, it is intended for Yoda and Windu to look at him at his last piece of dialogue, and they look at a direction which was/is carefully planed, here's why;

So in all angles throughout this scene, the one that lends itself most supportive for Dooku to sit in is the seat in which that female Jedi sits in, the one that looks at her male Jedi friend when Qui-Gon says "Sith Lord" and everyone is shocked. This is because it doesn't make it necessary for Dooku to;
a) be in almost every shot
b) this is the only eyeline in which both Yoda and Windu look at. I can, of course, change the position of the eyes at which they look - but I don't deem it necessary with this addition.
c) It places Dooku a little bit in the shadows of the council, which I think is pretty fitting.

And @nic - you make a good point. This is actually exactly the reason why I chose to preview this (currently disbanded) scene. I felt that the first and two last scenes with Dooku might make people forget him, and the most crucial thing about him; he is a Jedi, and betrays them for the Dark Lord of the Sith. This is the most important puzzle piece for his character going into EP II, that and that he had a friendship with Qui-Gon (which is clear by the first Dooku scene in the movie).

@"SoboFilms"  Beautiful work. Inspiring! And useful! I will, as stated above here on a, b and c, put his seating near the entrance door on the far right side.

@"Canon Editor" I can see what you mean. I will try to smoothen that out, if it doesn't ruin what I'm going for.

You guys are honestly the best! This gave me inspiration enough to try and tackle the scene again. Let's see what I can cook up these next hours of freetime.

asterixsmeagol said:
Does Dooku actually need any dialogue?
Well, yes and no. He could just be sitting there and observe, but that might seem confusing and even more pointless.

Not finished, but something that could work.

^^^That works much better. I'd lose that last shot of Dooku though. His open-mouthed about-to-druel face looks bad enough without being shown twice. Is there a shot you can use of him looking a bit more thoughtful and a little less clueless?

Andreas said:

Not finished, but something that could work.
The Scribbling Man said:
^^^That works much better. I'd lose that last shot of Dooku though. His open-mouthed about-to-druel face looks bad enough without being shown twice. Is there a shot you can use of him looking a bit more thoughtful and a little less clueless?
Cheers, brother. And yes - I agree. I think it works the first time, not so much the second.

I'll cook something up, but man is there little footage of Dooku to work with - especially whilst sitting still or not doing something massive with his face. Great suggestions, brother! Thank you!

I think (if you like the idea) you could use the line "Absurd!" somewhere between 12 seconds and 15 seconds into the above video (maybe replace Mace or Obi Wan), because the first response to Qui Gon seems to take a long time. Dooku could let his emotion overcome him and impulsively respond first, filling the gap of silence.

@"Nic" @"addiesin" @"SoboFilms" @"Canon Editor" @"asterixsmeagol" @The Scribbling Man
I think we are getting there. Tell me what you think.
- Added Dooku as hologram in wide shots and background close-ups where his silhouette should be.
- Added "Absurd!" as first line of dialogue and response to Qui-Gon's Sith Lord statement.
- Made more focus on Dooku as an observer rather than an engaging party.
- Altered his previous line "The enemy is defeated" and replaced it with "The Sith is defeated".

NB[!] The constant flickering in two of the background shots i now noticed is a rendering fault. Don't mind it. Will be gone by release.

Back
Top Bottom