• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ANDREAS presents: STAR WARS - Episode I - The Ancient Lore [TPM Remade]

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
                    Star Wars - Episode I: The Ancient Lore

Episode I is the best-looking of the three prequels, with a lot of devotion put into them from both the crew, actors as well as the director himself before he went all ludacris on digital moviemaking. It is also the most dull of the three prequels, with little to no character motivation or even plot explanation! It has to be remade!

So moving on from my Harry Potter Revisited franchise, it was time to tackle my other childhood film. The Phantom Menace will not resemble what you have seen before. There is a completely new narrative, and with that a completely new beginning, middle and an end. 

[PREVIEWS]

[The Plan]

[PLOT EXPLANATION]
The Nemodians have gathered political supporters, systems, planets - and most importantly - techonology and intelligence - through the co-operation with Palpatine, aka. Lord Sidious, for years. Naboo is the movie's target for invasion, because this is where Palpatine sees fit to create his Clone Army; Naboo has everything they need - the huge space travel gap between them and the Republic, and all the resources needed. But this plot is not known to anyone but the Nemodians and Palpatine himself, which is something they only discuss in great secrecy.

It is not before the defeat of The Trade Federation (the separtists) on the Planet of Naboo, that Sheev Palpatine realizes his recklessness and executes his plans far beyond the reach of the Republic, in the dark corner of the galaxy on the planet of Kaminoo, with the help of corrupted Master Syfo-Dius and Count Dooku - plotting for even more years to come - which is what leads into Attack of the Clones.

[The Changes]

• There are more new visual effects than i can count, and many alterations to both audio (voice and alien language) as well as music and sound effects.
  • The movie is heavily re-scored.
  • The movie is about 50-60% replaced with a self-created audiomix for a lot of different scenes.
  • Story narrative completely altered. The beginning of the movie in the Trade Federation Ship now takes place in the middle of the movie, and the story now starts with a Space chase, Naboo and the saving of the Queen.
  • Appearances of Lord Sidious will have his hologram face hidden for a duration of the beginning to create mystery, as well as his hologram voice altered and new plot points given.
  • The Nemodians (Nute Gunray & Co.) speak in foreign Alien language, to give of new and menacing voices, as well as completely new plot points for the story.
  • The Purple saber of Mace Windu will be removed in my trilogy, and given to Qui-Gon. It makes him more important, and fits his rogue style as he choses not to be on the Jedi Council. Mace Windu will get green.
  • Jar-Jar Binks has a altered voice (might consider a re-dub of the character before an initial release).
  • Battle Droids has a new voice, but hardly ever speak.
  • Jar-Jar Binks will serve as comic relief, although appearances or voice from him that diminish an important character or story moment, will be removed or decreased. His presence is that of C-3PO in A New Hope; he’s there, but he doesn’t take up screentime that he does not deserve.
  • Qui-Gon is the main character of the story. This is very clear throughout. Obi-Wan and Anakin are side-characters that will get to shine a little bit throughout, but are part of a bigger puzzle to occur in the later entries of the trilogy.
  • Anakin has, to the very best of my ability, become a very strict, grown-up kid with a lot of personality. This comes across in his dialogue with Wattoo and Sebulba, as well as his lack of stupid lines or groans or unecessary screentime. There are neither any accidents in his actions.
  • Anakin is not any chosen one, and his father died gambling. His mother is all he has. Anakin and Padme’s love theme is given to Anakin and his mom and their relationship.
  • Darth Maul has a lot more screentime and presence throughout.
CREDITS

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]- [/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif]DigModiFicaTion[/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif] for an amazing opening crawl - which he has many times revisited for me (and now again), and encouragement.[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]- [/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif]Masirimso17[/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif], [/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif]Zamros[/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif], [/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif]Canon Editor[/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif], [/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif]Smithers[/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif], [/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif]ssj[/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif], and [/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif]Nic[/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif] for continuous support, ideas, suggestions and criticism to make this a better edit every time, and challenge me for the better.[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]- [/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif]theryaney[/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif] for encouraging and contributing to a poster for the edit.[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]- Freesound.org for giving me the amazing ability to create my own soundmixes, which is now done for over 50% (!) of The Ancient Lore.[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]- MlutiMedios3D on YouTube for amazing visuals and models for me to use for background events, free of charge.[/font]
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]- My girlfriend for encouraging me to do this.[/font]

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lots of great ideas, Andreas. I loved your work on the first two Harry Potter films, I'm looking forward to this as well!

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bold words! I'll see them through. Looking forward to this.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OOoooo, interesting. Very interesting. I found TPM quite a good start to the prequel trilogy, but the constant chatter of trade negotiations bogged down the story, and as you put, made it a bit dull. What you're proposing to do is very brave. I'll keep an eye on this one.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you can pull off the things in the OP, then I look forward to the first test clip :)

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
OOoooo, interesting. Very interesting. I found TPM quite a good start to the prequel trilogy, but the constant chatter of trade negotiations bogged down the story, and as you put, made it a bit dull. What you're proposing to do is very brave. I'll keep an eye on this one.
Yes, absolutely.

During some of the debating on Coruscant, there is now the action setpiece on the Trade Federation Ship with our two Jedi friends so we don't get bored to shit.

Also, starting the movie with the focus on character development instead of action and politics like in the theatrical, the movie starts much stronger and the actions happening later in the movie will affect us much more as we actually care for Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Anakin.

yoshif8tures

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm looking forward to this! Will you post any clips anytime soon?

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yoshif8tures said:
I'm looking forward to this! Will you post any clips anytime soon?
Uploading one as we speak.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[BETA - PREVIEW] :: The Nemodians talk to their Lord

Things are not done. Nemodians will have voice altered.

The idea is that Sidious is altering his voice to be careful, for the sake of safely pulling the strings without the Jedi knowing. Later on, in the third act of the movie, the hologram transitions into The Emperor with his original voice for the big reveal as he gives Maul his orders.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[Update 2] Qui-Gon - The Rogue Jedi Knight, saving the Queen.

Though the previous clip is not finished, this one is. Now you can see how a purple-sabered Qui-Gon Jin looks.

And to those with an ear for attention, you will notice that a Force Push soundeffect has been added to when Qui-Gon pushes the two battledroids, as well as alteration to the sound of them being pushed.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
And to those with an ear for attention, you will notice that a Force Push soundeffect has been added to when Qui-Gon pushes the two battledroids, as well as alteration to the sound of them being pushed.

Point of clarification - the original has a force push effect as well, but it's more subtle. In fact, it may be LFE only if I remember correctly.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Point of clarification - the original has a force push effect as well, but it's more subtle. In fact, it may be LFE only if I remember correctly.
It's so subtle it sounds like a soft breeze of wind, so I put in a new one to resemble the same strength as the Force Push Maul does.

Smithers

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think that anyone has really re-arranged the movie this much before, this could turn out pretty awesome! Since I have already seen your work, I am confident that this will be quite well done. The Nemodians will be a lot better with the new dubbing and I like it that Maul and Sidious' reveal will be more of a... well... reveal.

IMO Qui-Gon shouldn't have a purple lightsaber (nor should anybody actually). I find it to be a strange and out of place distraction to the films, I don't really see how it makes anyone "more special" in any way, although of course you don't have to listen to me :p I think that a yellow lightsaber would be easier on the (my) eyes and brain while also being pretty cool.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In an ideal edit, everybody would just have a blue saber and that's it. Doable for TPM but a pain in the balls for AOTC.

Smithers

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
In an ideal edit, everybody would just have a blue saber and that's it. Doable for TPM but a pain in the balls for AOTC.
Haha I do like the idea that there were no green sabers until Luke and I think it would look pretty kickass on screen but the green sabers don't bother me at all. In AOTC I would just cut down the arena battle since it sucks anyway [emoji14] but I wouldn't got the extra mile just to pull all those effects off.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The "they're uncivilized" soundbit when Obi-Wan strikes down the droids is a bit distracting. It doesn't mesh well.
The saber looks great though :)

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Smithers said:
I don't think that anyone has really re-arranged the movie this much before, this could turn out pretty awesome! Since I have already seen your work, I am confident that this will be quite well done. The Nemodians will be a lot better with the new dubbing and I like it that Maul and Sidious' reveal will be more of a... well... reveal.
Appreciate that, man! I hope I will be able to please you once gain. :)

I think revealing Sidious slowly will benefit the story greatly, because it maintains the suspense throughout the entire movie. "Who IS that hooded jackass?!" And then, mind blown! It's The Emperor himself!

Smithers said:
IMO Qui-Gon shouldn't have a purple lightsaber (nor should anybody actually). I find it to be a strange and out of place distraction to the films, I don't really see how it makes anyone "more special" in any way, although of course you don't have to listen to me :p I think that a yellow lightsaber would be easier on the (my) eyes and brain while also being pretty cool.
1. Well, I'm thinking distractions is good. We all know how The Phantom Menace plays out, and we all have this firm picture of it in our heads, so when I change the narrative of the story, as well as some character traits we are used to - like Qui-Gon wielding a green lightsaber - you change people's perception of the story they already know, and things become new and fresh and exciting again. It's more of a way to tell the audience "expect things to be very different". This is one of the reasons I find this change to be good.

2. Qui-Gon Jin was debeatably one of the strongest Jedi Knights out there, but he disagreed with the ways of the Jedi Council and therefore did not want to be in it. In many ways, I think he disrespected them. Therefore, since Qui-Gon was neither in the Council nor fond of their policy, I'm thinking a great way to distance Qui-Gon from their ways and emphasise his character trait as a rogue Jedi is by giving him a Purple saber. Only reason it is purple is since It's already established as a canon color, and I don't want to go ahead and make up new ones.

3. Qui-Gon is the main character of the story, and his only appereance is in this movie. I think it is a great way to make Qui-Gon even more memorable, as this 'powerful, rogue Jedi Knight' was put through an untimely demise.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Smithers said:
In AOTC I would just cut down the arena battle since it sucks anyway
In AOTC I would just cut the entire movie really, and film it again if I could. Which I could. I'd just need some blue and green sheets and ILM behind my back.

Kal-El said:
The "they're uncivilized" soundbit when Obi-Wan strikes down the droids is a bit distracting. It doesn't mesh well.
The saber looks great though :)
I agree. Glad to hear about the saber.

Questions

1. What do you guys think about the ending bits of The Phantom Menace? Do you think the 3 different plots going on together mashes well in the theatrical, or would you like to see one of them more coherent or finished off before moving on to the others?

2. Should the Sith not have red lightsabers, or does it fit well do you guys think? Narratively, I can imagine how much stronger it would be if the first time we ever see a red lightsaber would be in the hands of Darth Vader in Episode III, after Anakin turns bad. But then on the other hand, it would make no sense for Darth Maul and Dooku to have blue or green sabers, so I'm thinking no.

3. What are your thoughts on the musical score of TPM? Do you want more nods to the original? As of right now, I'm thinking The Imperial March version for the Emperor should be there from the get-go. It would create a nice bridge between all the six movies I think, as it is the same guy pulling the strings. It is a powerful, commanding soundtrack that fits very well with the new narrative.

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
...it would make no sense for Darth Maul and Dooku to have blue or green sabers, so I'm thinking no.
that's a cool idea, the first red one is Vader's. what if Maul's was white. because he's a soulless killer. Dooku's color, i dunno. gold maybe to match the opulence of having a curved hilt.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
1. As most will agree, the Gungan battle can be left out completely, especially since most edits aim to trim or remove Jar-Jar's influence completely. The Gungan battle is a direct extension of that. The only reason they gain the upper hand (if only temporary) is because of Jar-Jar's bumbling. If anything has to go, I'd do away with that. That fight is completely isolated from the others and serves no direct purpose, really. You can easily leave that out completely (including its buildup) and not have to tie up any loose ends at all.

2. Keep the red sabers. Think back to when you saw Darth Maul coming through those big gates, lower his hood, and extend his lightsabers. That feeling of pure awesomeness dripping off the screen was only augmented by the dual RED lightsaber. Giving the Sith any other color is going to take away from that, especially compared to Maul's red skin.

3. Replacing the soundbites, like njvc did, will be more suited. The jet and TIE fighter sounds, lightsaber sounds, blasters, etc... Use OT sounds wherever you can. The entire Star Wars cinematic saga was scored by Williams. I'm sure he already put in enough nods to the original himself.

EDIT: baileym43 might be right about Dooku's saber. He's a fallen Jedi after all. Give him a green saber to indicate that. I wouldn't touch Maul's saber, but that's up to you, I suppose. If you can, and want to follow bailey's example, perhaps a black saber with white core, but other than that I can't possibly see anything match Maul's persona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=BE&v=8ypeSSIlVoU[/video]

If you make it black with a white core, Star Wars devotees might actually think you've put in a nod to a Forcesaber.

Top Bottom