• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Anastasia: Lost Princess Of Russia by Jerick

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
HD MP4 version with Disney Diamond Editon Bluray release titles: Now Available

password is 'disney'

In the years between The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Aladdin and Disney animation's triumphant return to form with 2013's Frozen, Walt Disney Animation Studios had lost their way. It was in 1997 near the beginning of Disney's second marked decline that former Disney directors and animators Don Bluth and Gary Goldman produced a hit movie for Fox Animation Studios that was every bit as magical as these widely regarded Disney animation classics.

Anastasia is the (fictional) story of a young Russian princess who survived the extermination of her family only to be raised in a rural orphanage with no memory of her past life.

This film contains:
1) Astoundingly beautiful hand-drawn animation
2) Equally beautiful (and in some cases very poor) computer animated elements that were way before their time
3) A masterful musical score that will echo through your head for hours
4) An all star cast of voice actors
5) A strong and confident heroine that will shame all pre-Frozen Disney heroines
6) A classic Disney princess tale that your kids will love and that you'll enjoy just as much

Yet you've likely never seen this movie or vaguely remember it ever existed...why is this?
1) It's not actually Disney so it doesn't show up on your radar when you look for classic Disney films
2) Certain plot elements are distasteful for a G rated children's movie and dramatically reduce the appeal of this otherwise amazing film.
3) It blindly follows the Disney formula resulting in a very weak villain and sidekick element that distracts from the beauty of the film
4) It's over reliance on computer generated animation elements results in a climatic scene that is almost unwatchable by today's standards

Please allow me to introduce you and your children to, Anastasia: Lost Princess of Russia!

With this fanedit I have turned 1997's Anastasia into the quintessential Disney princess movie. My goals were to: remove most of the distasteful devil worshiping elements from the movie's central villain, to give the movie a proper villain by removing excess silliness from the characters of Rasputin and his sidekick Bartok, to remove poorly conceived computer generated imagery that clashes with the beautiful hand drawn animation, and to generally redeem a film that deserves a place alongside any Disney princess collection.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds good! but...

jerick said:
In the years between The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Aladdin and hand-drawn animation's historic return to form with 2013's Frozen, Walt Disney Animation Studios had lost their way. It was in 1997 near the beginning of Disney's historic decline...

...sorry, not a word of that is making sense to me, unless you are talking about an alternate-timeline history of Disney :lol:.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Sounds good! but...

...sorry, not a word of that is making sense to me, unless you are talking about an alternate-timeline history of Disney :lol:.

:) Which part do you disagree with? That the period between 1994's The Lion King up until recently was a decline in feature quality for Disney Animation Studios?

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember going to see this on a school field trip, followed by bowling.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jerick said:
:) Which part do you disagree with?

Are you saying Frozen was hand-drawn?
Are you saying they returned to form with it?... The Princess and the Frog was awesome? (Treasure Planet was great too but that's probably more of a niche opinion).
Or that they returned to hand-drawn animation with it?... The Princess and the Frog was the return to hand-drawn followed by Winnie The Pooh
Also the "historic" decline was in the mid70s to mid80s, before the films you mentioned that revitalised the Company.

Anyway, fantastic to see more animated fanedits. I'm looking forward to this one :). Are you gonna put a vintage 1997 Disney Logo at the front and redo the credits etc to make it like it actually was a "Disney Animated Classic"?

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Are you saying Frozen was hand-drawn?
Are you saying they returned to form with it?... The Princess and the Frog was awesome? (Treasure Planet was great too but that's probably more of a niche opinion).
Or that they returned to hand-drawn animation with it?... The Princess and the Frog was the return to hand-drawn followed by Winnie The Pooh
Also the "historic" decline was in the mid70s to mid80s, before the films you mentioned that revitalised the Company.

Anyway, fantastic to see more animated fanedits. I'm looking forward to this one :). Are you gonna put a vintage 1997 Disney Logo at the front and redo the credits etc to make it like it actually was a "Disney Animated Classic"?

Ah I see what you're saying, I worded that poorly. I meant a decline in feature quality and I didn't mean it was the only historic decline just the one relevant to the time period I'm addressing. I'll fix it.

I'm not planning on changing any of the logos in the edit as I think that would be insulting to the creators and possibly piss off both parent companies in question. The idea is just to bring the film more in line with the Disney princess classics.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:

Now that I think about it some, the retro titles may be a fun alternate branching option on the Bluray release. Thanks for the input! Also my artist friend that usually helps me with the cover art has sadly moved away. Would anyone be interested in whipping up bluray size cover art for this release? I definitely need one with Fox styling, but an alternate with 1997 Disney styling would be really neat for those who would like to store the Bluray on their shelf as Disney would have presented it.

I'll be sure to include you in the Special Thanks section of the IFDB listing!

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The comic relief between Bartok and Rasputin was actually most of the film's appeal for me. How much of that did you remove? Rasputin losing an eye and having Bartok pick it up and similar scenes were pretty funny to me. Interested and anxious to find out what you did there :)

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got this movie on Blu-ray two years ago but have yet to watch it.

So I have three years' worth of Thanksgiving / Black Friday purchases to watch - to say nothing of the multitude of other Blu-rays and DVDs that I've bought, some unopened from 2001.

Yeah, I'm bad.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
The comic relief between Bartok and Rasputin was actually most of the film's appeal for me. How much of that did you remove? Rasputin losing an eye and having Bartok pick it up and similar scenes were pretty funny to me. Interested and anxious to find out what you did there :)

That bit is still in as well as all the "corpse humor", things like the dancing conversation in Paris is an example of tension killing content that was cut.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mark Moore said:
I got this movie on Blu-ray two years ago but have yet to watch it.

So I have three years' worth of Thanksgiving / Black Friday purchases to watch - to say nothing of the multitude of other Blu-rays and DVDs that I've bought, some unopened from 2001.

Yeah, I'm bad.

I bought "The Illusionist" (animated) a few years ago on Black Friday and let it sit for over a year before cracking it open. Glad I did though because it was a very beautiful film.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit is now complete. I've created two HD MP4 versions, one with Fox titles and the other with titles that would have appeared had this been a Disney Diamond Edition Bluray release. This will hopefully be released within the next week. A Bluray version will follow later on.

HD MP4 (Fox Edition)
The password is 'princess'

HD MP4 (Disney Diamond Edition)
PM me for the password

Hubunkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A friend of mine has been doing a whole collection of Disney covers for me that use the old early 80s VHS style template. I decided to whip up a Anastasia cover in the same style.
11rcbnr.jpg

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's a great classic Disney cover. I had a friend of mine whip up a Disney Diamond Edition Bluray cover but I'll definitely add that to the listing for anyone who would like a retro VHS cover. Thanks JJE-187!

MovieMaven

Reaction score
Trophy Points
One reason the animated movie may seem familiar is that it draws very, very heavily on the live-action Ingrid Bergman version from 1956. Everything has been kiddified and Disneyized and melodramatized, and just about all of the subtlety and ambiguity of the live-action film has been drained out.

I don't think the 1956 film needs a fanedit! :)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
JJE-187 said:
A friend of mine has been doing a whole collection of Disney covers for me that use the old early 80s VHS style template. I decided to whip up a Anastasia cover in the same style.
11rcbnr.jpg

I haven't seen this yet, but this wonderful cover alone makes it worthwhile. Gotta represent old-school Disney VHS. :)

harrybowls

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So trying to make a Don Bluth animated feature look like it was made by Disney was the point to this cut?

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
harrybowls said:
So trying to make a Don Bluth animated feature look like it was made by Disney was the point to this cut?

Not quite, the movie already is very Disney, the title changes in the Disney version are just for aesthetics. The point of the cut was to make a version of this movie that fans of traditional Disney princess movies and little kids would find more approachable and enjoyable than the original cut.

harrybowls

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jerick said:
Not quite, the movie already is very Disney, the title changes in the Disney version are just for aesthetics. The point of the cut was to make a version of this movie that fans of traditional Disney princess movies and little kids would find more approachable and enjoyable than the original cut.

Nice can't wait to check it out.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
harrybowls said:
Nice can't wait to check it out.

Let me know whether you or your kids enjoy it I'd love to hear some feedback

Top Bottom