• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Amleth's Saga - The Northman Extended Edition Edits by Fran Garcia (COMPLETED)

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi everybody!

This edit is in the early stages right now.

I have just identified the places in where to insert all the deleted scenes. All the of them will be colour graded and enhanced and with music from the original soundtrack whenever possible.

My intentions with this fan edit are the following:

- Colour grade the full movie, maybe I will add some B&W scenes or shots.
- Restructure the original movie with some flashbacks and new Acts.
- Reinstate all the deleted scenes.
- Trim some scenes.

Please lose the green tinting! If I never see another movie with green skies, it'll be too soon.
Totally agree with you. One of the things I’m doing first is getting rid of the awful green tint and also the darkness in some scenes.

Maybe it is me, but I think that nowadays most of the movies are too dark and nothing can be seen on screen even with the lights off, together with the awful tinting some movies look like crap.😅

How I miss the 80s!😃

Totally agree with you. One of the things I’m doing first is getting rid of the awful green tint and also the darkness in some scenes.

Maybe it is me, but I think that nowadays most of the movies are too dark and nothing can be seen on screen even with the lights off, together with the awful tinting some movies look like crap.😅

How I miss the 80s!😃
This! Eggers has admitted that this film was greatly influenced by Conan the Barbarian. So, why couldn't it actually look like Conan the Barbarian?

This! Eggers has admitted that this film was greatly influenced by Conan the Barbarian. So, why couldn't it actually look like Conan the Barbarian?
I think he has not watched Conan the Barbarian since long time ago or the copy he owns is one with a bad colour grading 😅

Anyway, he says that there are a lot of nods (intentional and unintentional) to Conan. I think he missed one of the most important, the tint 😆

I think he has not watched Conan the Barbarian since long time ago or the copy he owns is one with a bad colour grading 😅

Anyway, he says that there are a lot of nods (intentional and unintentional) to Conan. I think he missed one of the most important, the tint 😆
Probably executive meddling, though. Studios push that look because for some reason they decided it's the most appealing palette for the human eye. And everything that doesn't look like this is written off as "looking dated". There are exceptions to the rule, The Neon Demon for example, but mostly every movie is required to look like this...

Probably executive meddling, though. Studios push that look because for some reason they decided it's the most appealing palette for the human eye. And everything that doesn't look like this is written off as "looking dated". There are exceptions to the rule, The Neon Demon for example, but mostly every movie is required to look like this...
You are right, the ones who pay are the ones who push the green tint look in all the movies. It all started with The Matrix, it was the first time that the colour grade of a movie was done by computer, and after that movie almost all of them have the green tint.

Yes, The Neon Demon is the exception to the rule, but I think that also Valhalla Rising (also directed by Nicolas Winding Refn).

Valhalla Rising did mostly avert the green tinting thing, but still had a bit too obvious digitally filtered grade, with the usual pissy yellows on skin tones and such. Guess the era of doing the color palette mostly on camera is gone...

Valhalla Rising did mostly avert the green tinting thing, but still had a bit too obvious digitally filtered grade, with the usual pissy yellows on skin tones and such. Guess the era of doing the color palette mostly on camera is gone...
Yup, too obvious digitally filtered grade, specially in the dream sequences and in the "ACTS", pink and strange colours everywhere.

Agree, the colour palette done in cameras and with lights era is gone...

I have been working on the first 3 minutes and a half of the edit with a new colour grade.

As I previously said, I have restructured the First Act with a new name, and now the movie starts with a grown up Amleth. I have preserved the style and runes of the titles from the original movie.

Also, I have added a location map overlay. This one is just a preview of the first rough cut, and I am still not sure if I am going to leave it on the final cut.

Finally, I have reinstated a deleted scene when Amleth and the Vikings hide the long ships.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Gosh darn it Fran, now I have to buy another movie!!!

While I have not seen The Northman yet, you concept sounds great and the New Colour Grade looks great to my eye!

80's cinematography, how I miss thee..... :cry: 😁 ;)

I have been working on the first 3 minutes and a half of the edit with a new colour grade.

As I previously said, I have restructured the First Act with a new name, and now the movie starts with a grown up Amleth. I have preserved the style and runes of the titles from the original movie.

Also, I have added a location map overlay. This one is just a preview of the first rough cut, and I am still not sure if I am going to leave it on the final cut.

Finally, I have reinstated a deleted scene when Amleth and the Vikings hide the long ships.

What do you think?

The color is a HUGE improvement. But... maybe it's a tad too bright? I think it should look a bit more somber to fit the feel of the story.

Gosh darn it Fran, now I have to buy another movie!!!

While I have not seen The Northman yet, you concept sounds great and the New Colour Grade looks great to my eye!

80's cinematography, how I miss thee..... :cry: 😁 ;)
Haha! It is a good investment, one of the best movies released this year.

The damn green tint and the modern colour grading, every day I hate it more and more. With this edit I just want to improve it a little bit and make it a bit appealing to the eye. Thank you, Bob!

Yes... Nothing like the 80's cinematography... 😃😉

The color is a HUGE improvement. But... maybe it's a tad too bright? I think it should look a bit more somber to fit the feel of the story.
Yes, I was thinking the same, maybe I have increased a bit too much the brightness, I have prepared a new version with less brightness and more contrast together with a bit of blue tint.

New version:

Hi!

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I had to deal with some family issues, but finally I had time to work a bit on this edit.

Here it is the Mound Dweller scene, in the movie, Amleth starts to fight with him but at the end it looks like that there was no fight at all, so in my edit I have tried to fix that and keep the "magic or fantasy" component.

I have edited two versions.

Original Scene:

Version A:

Version B:

Hi!

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I had to deal with some family issues, but finally I had time to work a bit on this edit.

Here it is the Mound Dweller scene, in the movie, Amleth starts to fight with him but at the end it looks like that there was no fight at all, so in my edit I have tried to fix that and keep the "magic or fantasy" component.

I have edited two versions.

Original Scene:

Version A:

Version B:

I don't think I like the fade, from one part of the room to another. It just doesn't feel right. If anything, I'd cut to black right after he cuts off the dweller's head, then cut back to him holding up the sword after a moment. So there's something to separate the two moments.

Of if you don't need the scene of him holding up the sword, you could go straight from cutting the dweller's head off to outside.

I don't think I like the fade, from one part of the room to another. It just doesn't feel right. If anything, I'd cut to black right after he cuts off the dweller's head, then cut back to him holding up the sword after a moment. So there's something to separate the two moments.

Of if you don't need the scene of him holding up the sword, you could go straight from cutting the dweller's head off to outside.
Thank you!

Yes, you are right, I was thinking the same with the fade, at the end it is not working very good, I just was trying to keep the footage of Amleth with the sword, but I think that at the end it is better to cut after he cuts the Dweller's head straight to outside, after holding the sword for a few seconds.

Anyway, I have made two versions:

Version C - Cut to outside after cutting the Dweller's Head and holding the sword for a few seconds:

Version D - Cut to black after cutting the Dweller's head and then the close up with Amleth holding the sword:

Last edited:
Version D is my favorite, but both in versions C and D the music fadeout when it cuts to outside is a bit too abrupt. Would need to be a bit longer, I think.

Back
Top Bottom