• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Amadeus - TM2YC's HD Theatrical Recreation

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I fancied doing a quick project over a couple of weekends, as a change from more complicated fanedits and recreating the original 'Theatrical Cut' of Milos Forman's much admired 1984 film 'Amadeus' is it.

The 20-minutes longer 2002 'Director's Cut' is freely available on blu-ray but the 8x-Oscar-Winning original is only available on a quite poor (Laserdisc/VHS transfer?) 1997 "flipper" PAL DVD. Thankfully, unlike something like 'THX-1138', where half the film is missing, the DC for 'Amadeus' features 99% of the footage needed to remake the TC. The small quantity of missing DVD-only TC footage will be upscaled and graded to blend in as best as can be.

Here is a 2-minute demo of what the cut will be like...

Once the video has been conformed to the DVD's runtime, editing of the audio tracks will begin. I'll include the TC's 5.1 mix and Isolated-Score and possibly a shortened version of the DC commentary. I understand the commentary is an extended version of a rare Laserdisc TC commentary. If anybody has that, it'd make things easier.

I'll prbably do this as a large 1080p blu-ray compatible mkv, or an actual 25GB blu-ray. It won't be quite the same quality as the 50GB DC disc but storage has it's limits.

skyled

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've never actually seen the Director's Cut, but looking through the differences at movie-censorship.com, it seems the two scenes where Salieri humiliates Constanze by trying to have sex with her explain a lot about her anger towards Salieri at the end. I never understood why she was son angry at seeing Salieri at the end of the movie but now it makes sense. Reading around a bit, most people agree that those scenes should not have been cut, but the rest of the Director's cut is filler. Perhaps you could make a BD25 with seamless branching that has the theatrical, and the theatrical plus those two scenes?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
skyled said:
Perhaps you could make a BD25 with seamless branching

LOL no. Too much work my friend. That's what fanedits are for.

Hubunkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have never seen the Theatrical version of this at all. I have the Blu-ray and watched it but this interest me

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Curious. I haven't scrolled through the OT thread, but I'm curious why you are also doing this project. Are there some issues with the jimbotron235 version? How are you hoping to upgrade?

It's been years since I've seen this film.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Curious. I haven't scrolled through the OT thread, but I'm curious why you are also doing this project. Are there some issues with the jimbotron235 version? How are you hoping to upgrade?

That version seems to have frames and partial shots missing, at least one entire shot missing (which might, or might not be on purpose), one shot missing (on purpose because it says in the cutlist) and replaces whole shots when only parts needed replacing. Also some of the shot overlays are noticeable to me and the Orion logo at the start is a later one (but only nerds like me would spot that difference :D ). It's very small stuff to be sure.

So because it's not that time consuming to do, I decided to make my own "frame accurate" version. I also wanted to include the commentary track (in an edited form).

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
cool. I figured there were significant enough issues to justifying you doing it.

kidjupiter92

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am actually very interested in this. I haven't seen the theatrical version of Amadeus in a very long time, and the last time I saw it was a viewing of the VHS as a wee child.

I own the Director's Cut, but I have yearned to own a proper HD transfer of the original film for years.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wonderful - only just watched the DC again a  couple of weeks back. Had a day of Amadeus and Immortal beloved as i do prefer Beethoven :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
'Immortal Beloved' is my jam.

blu-ray menu is being constructed. Adding menu buttons to change the audio track wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be (touch wood).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Artwork is done. Based mostly on an Italian theatrical poster, combined with elements from the US poster.

35498114780_f9b3b38b2a_o.jpg

Fanedit Details:
Original Runtime: 180 minutes
Fanedit Runtime: 160 minutes
Time Cut: 22 minutes (Excluding credits)
Time Added: 1.5 minutes (Excluding credits)

Sources:
Director's Cut 2009 blu-ray / Theatrical Cut 1998 PAL (Flipper) DVD

Audio Tracks:
1. 5.1 Theatrical Soundmix (From DVD)
2. Milos Forman and Peter Shaffer Commentary (From DC blu-ray. Edited to fit)
3. Isolated Score (From DVD)

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
'Immortal Beloved' is my jam.

blu-ray menu is being constructed. Adding menu buttons to change the audio track wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be (touch wood).

You and me both. its an annual event for me .

That cover is a stunner. I'm looking forward to the release.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hubunkey said:
Will there be an mp4 version available?

I might do. A small 720p one maybe.

The blu-ray is done and uploaded. The menu turned out nice and is designed to match the artwork...

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Hubunkey said:
Will there be an mp4 version available?

I might do. A small 720p one maybe.

The blu-ray is done and uploaded. The menu turned out nice and is designed to match the artwork...

off subject i know but what software do you use for your cover design and bluray menu. For the cover design i was going to look at GIMP as photoshop is a monthly subscription now ,and i know i would only use now again, so it doesn't justify the cost.

Thanks

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last Impressions said:
off subject i know but what software do you use for your cover design and bluray menu.

Jasc Paint Shop Pro 6 (1999) and Sony DVDArchitect (2011).

Just finished watching the (new) blu-ray through to double-check. Damn this movie is perfectly paced and structured at this length. I've never known 2-hours and 40-minutes to fly by so smoothly.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Last Impressions said:
off subject i know but what software do you use for your cover design and bluray menu.

Jasc Paint Shop Pro 6 (1999) and Sony DVDArchitect (2011).

Just finished watching the (new) blu-ray through to double-check. Damn this movie is perfectly paced and structured at this length. I've never known 2-hours and 40-minutes to fly by so smoothly.

Thank you, i'll take a look

Top Bottom