• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Alternate track listings

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've done a bunch of these but almost exclusively with U2 albums. I won't bore everyone's with all of them, but here's a couple:

An alternate version of The Joshua Tree that's so good it's too good:
1. Where the Streets Have No Name
2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
3. With or Without You
4. Luminous Times
5. Spanish Eyes
6. Running to Stand Still
7. Red Hill Mining Town
8. In God's Country
9. Desert of Our Love
10. Sweetest Thing
11. One Tree Hill
12. Exit
13. Bullet the Blue Sky
14. Mothers of the Disappeared

And then there's an alternate version of Rattle and Hum. Categorize this under "fanfix" because the album version is a total mess:
1. Desire
2. Hallelujah (Here She Comes)
3. Van Diemen's Land [with the dialogue edited out]
4. Hawkmoon 269
5. Angel of Harlem
6. Heartland
7. Silver and Gold [Studio Version]
8. God Part II
9. A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
10. All I Want Is You

Haven't done much in the way of other artists.

I once had a killer Dark Side of the Moon/Wish You Were Here combo album but I lost it when I switched computers.

It probably doesn't constitute as a real alternate tracklist but I've found if you replace Cat People with the single version, Let's Dance goes from a 10/10 to an 11/10.

Also, this is really cool: The Beatles "Black Album." Assembled by Ethan Hawke for his daughter and featured in the film Boyhood. Basically, what if you took the best of the Beatles solo years and compiled it onto a triple album. Here's the link with the full story: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ethanhawke/boyhood-the-black-album#.gt0wPdPXn
And here's the full tracklist:
Disc 1:
1. Paul McCartney & Wings, “Band on the Run”
2. George Harrison, “My Sweet Lord”
3. John Lennon feat. The Flux Fiddlers & the Plastic Ono Band, “Jealous Guy”
4. Ringo Starr, “Photograph”
5. John Lennon, “How?”
6. Paul McCartney, “Every Night”
7. George Harrison, “Blow Away”
8. Paul McCartney, “Maybe I’m Amazed”
9. John Lennon, “Woman”
10.Paul McCartney & Wings, “Jet”
11. John Lennon, “Stand by Me”
12. Ringo Starr, “No No Song”
13. Paul McCartney, “Junk”
14. John Lennon, “Love”
15. Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney, “The Back Seat of My Car”
16. John Lennon, “Watching the Wheels”
17. John Lennon, “Mind Games”
18. Paul McCartney & Wings, “Bluebird”
19. John Lennon, “Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)”
20. George Harrison, “What Is Life”
Disc 2:
1. John Lennon, “God”
2. Wings, “Listen to What the Man Said”
3. John Lennon, “Crippled Inside”
4. Ringo Starr, “You’re Sixteen You’re Beautiful (And You’re Mine)”
5. Paul McCartney & Wings, “Let Me Roll It”
6. John Lennon & The Plastic Ono Band, “Power to the People”
7. Paul McCartney, “Another Day”
8. George Harrison, “If Not For You (2001 Digital Remaster)”
9. John Lennon, “(Just Like) Starting Over”
10. Wings, “Let ‘Em In”
11. John Lennon, “Mother”
12. Paul McCartney & Wings, “Helen Wheels”
13. John Lennon, “I Found Out”
14. Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney, “Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey”
15. John Lennon, Yoko Ono & The Plastic Ono Band, “Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)”
15. George Harrison, “Not Guilty (2004 Digital Remaster)”
16. Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney, “Heart of the Country”
17. John Lennon, “Oh Yoko!”
18. Wings, “Mull of Kintyre”
19. Ringo Starr, “It Don’t Come Easy”
Disc 3:
1. John Lennon, “Grow Old With Me (2010 Remaster)”
2. Wings, “Silly Love Songs”
3. The Beatles, “Real Love”
4. Paul McCartney & Wings, “My Love”
5. John Lennon, “Oh My Love”
6. George Harrison, “Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)”
7. Paul McCartney, “Pipes of Peace”
8. John Lennon, “Imagine”
9. Paul McCartney, “Here Today”
10. George Harrison, “All Things Must Pass”
11. Paul McCartney, “And I Love Her (Live on MTV Unplugged)”

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great thread. I do this all the time. Latest one was the epic unreleased Dream Theater album "Metropolis" that combined elements of Metropolis Part II: Scenes From A Memory and Images and Words. It completely destroys the concept of Scenes From a Memory, but it was pretty dumb to begin with.

1. The Miracle and the Sleeper
2. Strange Deja Vu
3. Fatal Tragedy
4. Beyond This Life
5. Home
6. Pull Me Under
7. Under A Glass Moon
8. Learning to Live

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Still haven't seen 'Boyhood', sounds worth checking just 'cause it's got that mixtape scene. Although there have been Beatles "Black Albums" around for years with the same principle of a solo-years roundup.

I did an album in my late teens that was a similar concept but was a single disc and only featured songs from the ex-Beatles first (and sometimes second) solo records and only songs that were originally recorded by The Beatles e.g. PM's 'Junk', GH's 'All Things Must Pass', JL's 'Gimme Some Truth' etc. So tracks that would have very likely been on the next album after 'Abbey Road' if they hadn't called it a day. I named it 'Hot As Sun' (After the McCartney track), made artwork for it featuring an "oranges" theme and submitted it as an art project at college... and got a D or something :-D but I've since lost the damn thing.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
David Bowie's Young Americans was a perfect album until he started tinkering with it and recorded "Fame" and the pleasant, but pointless cover of "Across the Universe" with a different sound and in a different studio. I get that it's fun hanging out with your heroes and all (and Lennon does a decently inspired performance), but it's a sad fact that this album works a lot better without the Lennon replacements, especially since Fame is the least album-closery track on the whole album and feels like an afterthought after the real album closer "Can You Hear Me".

I don't know if the first Tony Visconti mix ever had a finalized track listing, but I've made one myself:

David Bowie - Somebody Up There Likes Me [a working title for the album]

1. Young Americans
2. Win
3. Fascination
4. It's Gonna Be Me [completed version with strings from the 2007 remaster]

5. Somebody Up There Likes Me
6. Right
7. Who Can I Be Now? [completed version from the 2007 remaster]
8. Can You Hear Me

SatansWaffles

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've always thought it would be a good idea to do a double album of Buckethead's In Search of The... series. The original is twelve volumes, 92 songs, 9.5 hours of music. I think I could narrow it down to two albums, each with 10-12 songs on it. I guess it'd be worth a try.

RaElectrum

Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
David Bowie's Young Americans was a perfect album until he started tinkering with it and recorded "Fame" and the pleasant, but pointless cover of "Across the Universe" with a different sound and in a different studio. I get that it's fun hanging out with your heroes and all (and Lennon does a decently inspired performance), but it's a sad fact that this album works a lot better without the Lennon replacements, especially since Fame is the least album-closery track on the whole album and feels like an afterthought after the real album closer "Can You Hear Me".

I don't know if the first Tony Visconti mix ever had a finalized track listing, but I've made one myself:

David Bowie - Somebody Up There Likes Me [a working title for the album]

1. Young Americans
2. Win
3. Fascination
4. It's Gonna Be Me [completed version with strings from the 2007 remaster]

5. Somebody Up There Likes Me
6. Right
7. Who Can I Be Now? [completed version from the 2007 remaster]
8. Can You Hear Me

Very nice! I tried it like that and it was much more enjoyable. I'm a big Bowie fan and I have my own alternate track list for The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. I think it makes the concept work even better.

1. Five Years
2. Moonage Daydream
3. Starman
4. It Ain't Easy
5. Star
6. Hang on to Yourself
7. Soul Love
8. Lady Stardust
9. Suffragette City
10. Rock 'n' Roll Suicide
11. Ziggy Stardust

I've always found Soul Love out of place at the start and it takes too long to intro the concept with it there. Hang on to Yourself makes for a great middle section as it is the height of the rock star life. After that it goes to the love section Soul Love/Lady Stardust making the impending fall more dramatic. Ziggy Stardust works a lot better as the final song since it is about the rise and fall of Ziggy. You should try it out sometime. ;)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I keep meaning to make my own ultimate alternate mix of The Stooges 'Fun House', culled from the entire sessions boxset.

I was also listening to The Velvet Underground's 'Loaded' today and that is crying out for a "fanedit". Great songs but the running order just never works for me. I swear every time I put that record on, it momentarily takes me by surprise that 'Sweet Jane' isn't the opener and I skip forward to track 2.

Oh and I must go back and re-read the part of 'Revolution in the Head' that talks about the concept album that The Beatles were planning before they just went "Oh f**k it, we can't be bothered" and released the quasi-concept 'Sgt. Pepper' instead :D . It was supposed to be about their childhood in Liverpool, 'Penny Lane', 'Strawberry Fields' etc. I don't think they got very far with it but a fun nostalgia themed mix of Pepper and Mystery Tour material could be good.

E49 Music

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I changed the Beatles abbey road track list to how they were originally going to be before it was changed

1.Here Comes The Sun
2.Because
3.You Never Give Me Your Money
4.Sun King
5.Mean Mr. Muster
6.Her Majesty
7.Polythene Pam
8.She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
9.Golden Slumbers
10.Carry That Weight
11.The End
12.Come Together
13.Something
14.Maxwell's Silver Hammer
15.Oh! Darling
16.Octopus's Garden
17.I Want You (She's So Heavy)

SparkySywer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Back when I still liked Weezer, I came up with this alternate tracklist for Pinkerton:

1. Victory on the Hill
2. Tired of Sex
3. Getchoo
4. I Just Threw Out the Love of My Dreams
5. Walt Disney
6. You Won't Get with Me Tonight
7. Why Bother
8. Devotion
9. Negativland
10. You Gave Your Love to Me Softly
11. Pink Triangle
12. Falling For You
13. The Good Life
14. Defeat on the Hill
15. Getting Up and Leaving
16. Long Time Sunshine

I actually still listen to this tracklist once in a while so maybe I shouldn't say "Back when I still liked Weezer"

HoikDini

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've made several alternative tracklists for Queensrÿche, for their grunge-influenced albums: Hear in the Now Frontier, Q2K, and Tribe. They're posted on reddit as "Queensrÿche Resëquenced". Below is arguably the best of the three I've done, though I doubt many people even remember this album at all:

Q2K - Queensrÿche Resëquenced

1. Sacred Ground
2. Falling Down
3. Liquid Sky
4. Beside You
5. Burning Man
6. Breakdown
7. One Life
8. Wot Kinda Man
9. Howl
10. Until There Was You [bonus track]
11. How Could I? [bonus track]
12. When the Rain Comes
13. The Right Side of My Mind

Catlit

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's mine for Tears For Fears' Songs From The Big Chair, plus assorted B-Sides and alternate versions. A playlist I refer to as "Songs From The BIGGER Chair"
  1. Shout
  2. The Working Hour
  3. When In Love With A Blind Man
  4. Everybody Wants To Rule The World
  5. Sea Song
  6. Mother's Talk (Video Version)
  7. Empire Building
  8. I Believe (A Soulful Re-Recording)
  9. The Marauders
  10. Broken
  11. Head Over Heels (David Bascombe 7" Mix) / Broken (Live)
  12. Listen
  13. The Big Chair
  14. Pharaohs

Red41804

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's my tracklist if Rush had released A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres as 1 album, titled "The Voyage".

I decided to bookend both parts of Cyngus X-1, Pink Floyd style.

LP 1: A Farewell to Kings

Side A:
1. Cyngus X-1 Book 1: The Voyage
2. A Farewell to Kings
3. Circumstances

Side B:
4. Cindrella Man
5. Xanadu

LP 2: Hemispheres

Side C:
6. The Trees
7. Closer to the Heart
8. La Villa Strangiato

Side D:
9. Madrigal
10. Cyngus X-1 Book 2: Hemispheres

Red41804

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes's Close to the Edge and Relayer work pretty well in reverse track order, with the shortest first and the longest last.

Marillion's Marbles 2 CD edition with the tracks arranged like the 1 CD version, but the missing songs are added: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marbles_(album)#Track_listing

CD 1:
  1. The Invisible Man
  2. Marbles I
  3. Genie
  4. You're Gone
  5. Angelina
  6. The Only Unforgivable Thing
  7. Marbles II
  8. The Damage
CD 2:
  1. Don't Hurt Yourself
  2. Fantastic Place
  3. Marbles III
  4. Drilling Holes
  5. Marbles IV
  6. Neverland
  7. Ocean Cloud

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any and ALL Soundtrack/film score presentations should be in the order they appear in the movie...drives me crazy!

Reactions: Mnm

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any and ALL Soundtrack/film score presentations should be in the order they appear in the movie...drives me crazy!
Any solid ideas on why this is done? I can imagine that a popular track or main theme might be featured upfront, and perhaps re-ordering might have been done in the past to efficiently use the space per side of a tape or LP, but this would hardly seem to apply nowadays.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any solid ideas on why this is done? I can imagine that a popular track or main theme might be featured upfront, and perhaps re-ordering might have been done in the past to efficiently use the space per side of a tape or LP, but this would hardly seem to apply nowadays.
"to present the music in a pleasant and auricularly balanced manner, the tracks on this CD do not appear in their film presentation order. Some tracks have been edited together or re-recorded accordingly"

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have the Shrek soundtrack on vinyl, and what kills me is that "All-Star" by Smash Mouth (the song that opens the film, the most iconic song from the film, arguably the main reason for buying the album) is not the first track. It is in fact the ninth track, track 2 of side B. It was a gift from a few years ago and I appreciate it, but I haven't taken it out of the plastic wrap because I'm not particularly interested in listening to the Shrek soundtrack out of order. There's also a couple songs on the album that are performed by different artists than in the movie, and that always frustrates me too even though I understand why.
I got the Pulp Fiction soundtrack around the same time, and now I'm curious about its song order...

Top Bottom