• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Alien Covenant Extended / Alien V

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi all

Well its been 6 years since I've released an edit (though many have been made), but here we go.

A couple of years back I made two edits of Alien Covenant. 

The Extended version restores a true 3 act structure by adding in the material where the crew train and are tested for their emotional responses. This section ran near 20 minutes. I tightened it up and added in audio and music from Jerry Goldsmith to give it an original ALIEN feel. I also added back many other deleted portions but again, tightened them up and added ambience and music where needed. The rest of the film has a variety of tweaks to improve character, dialogue, delivery and continuity. There is a fair amount of tweaks towards the end as well to keep things both logical and tense, plus a new coda derived from supplemental publicity material publicly available. Additional material from 2010: The Year we make Contact was used to create establishing shots for the newly created first act. Additional caption work to match the font and style of the original movie was also made. This runs 154 min. EPIC

The Alien V version takes the above, and tightens it all up to run 132 min. Why? I wanted to prove that the 3 act structure could have been preserved in a near 2 hr run time. I hated Alien Covenant when it first came out because you could feel that the first act was missing. Why have James Franco in it for 2 scenes to just rub him out? That is now fixed. And this version PROVES that the extra 30 minutes COULD have been kept if the rest of the movie was tightened up.

Job done....

I hope that these two edits redeem this flawed entry to the francise which I hope is NOW a worthy prequel to  A L I E N  .

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Other materials  used include:
2010: The Year we Make Contact. 
ALIEN Collectors Edition and Anniversay CDs to use many unused and alternate versions of the Jerry Goldsmith score
Alien Covenant Score CD
Public Domain Sound effects from Free Sounds.org
Alien Covenant Trailers (for pieces NOT in the movie)
She Wont Go Quitely (pre-release viral publicly available)
PHOBOS (pre-release viral publicly available)
ADVENT (pre-release viral publicly available)
PROLOGUE (pre-release viral publicly available)
SUPPER (pre-release viral publicly available)
MEET WALTER (pre-release viral publicly available)
11 deleted scenes from the Official Blu Ray

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The BD includes the unaltered versions of the Phobos prologue, the Walter Report coda and the "she won't go quietly" trailer which are NOT on the commercially released BD but are publicly available. The BD contains both versions of the edits namely the 154min and 132 min cuts.

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This sounds really interesting, I haven’t seen anything that utilises the pre mission training scenes. Are they available yet? Is there a cultist for what fat you trimmed to get down to the two hour mark in version two?

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I do normally keep a meticulous list but I originally did this for myself, so did not. I will pull one together. Thanks for your interest.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
IN fact, i do these lists now for all my unreleased edits since I end up never watching the original again and over time I forget what I did...like that, I can look back and see what i did. So its the only one without a cutlist....(already loading the edit file to compile the list)

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cuts and additions ready.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Detailed cut list added to listing BUT major spoilers within....you really need to see this COLD...REALLY!
You have been warned....
ALIEN V additional trims (to go from 154min to 132 min) being compiled (a few people have already asked)...

greenturnedblue

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
not trying to sound rude but am I missing something, this was up on the ifdb for like a day then it was deleted right?

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched the extended cut yesterday. Very impressive from a technical standpoint and adds a lot of depth to the film. For example, it’s shows the build up in tensions among certain members of team from the training stages over the issues of faith and the different outlook that brings. The supplementary material is also integrated perfectly to enhance the narrative. I thought some of the material on the training ship could be left out as it dragged & much of the CGI didn’t appear up to scratch. Finally, I can’t believe how little use they made of James Franco- I thought the additional material would flesh this out a bit, but unfortunately not. In summary, highly recommended. Next, on to the more condensed Alien V version

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
greenturnedblue said:
not trying to sound rude but am I missing something, this was up on the ifdb for like a day then it was deleted right?

Not deleted...I added a detailed cutlist and it is being moderated...should be back soon and here is the link anyway[font=Calibri,sans-serif]https://ifdb.fanedit.org/alien-v/[/font]

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
stferguson78 said:
Watched the extended cut yesterday. Very impressive from a technical standpoint and adds a lot of depth to the film. For example, it’s shows the build up in tensions among certain members of team from the training stages over the issues of faith and the different outlook that brings. The supplementary material is also integrated perfectly to enhance the narrative. I thought some of the material on the training ship could be left out as it dragged & much of the CGI didn’t appear up to scratch. Finally, I can’t believe how little use they made of James Franco- I thought the additional material would flesh this out a bit, but unfortunately not. In summary, highly recommended. Next, on to the more condensed Alien V version

So pleased you enjoyed it, and yes Phobos is long which is why I trimmed it. It is further trimmed in the Alien V version. I did do a version that had another 2 minutes reoved but it was too short IMO...I think the viewer needs to feel as worn out by at as the crew...or at least that was my interpretation....
Thanks for the comments[font=Calibri,sans-serif]https://ifdb.fanedit.org/alien-v/[/font]

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll be posting a video of all the deleted material taken out of the extended version to make ALIEN V....There are a couple of moments I removed which I would have preferred removing from the Extended version, but I was talked out of it by my son. I'll let you know which after you see ALIEN V...best leave it a few days before you watch it. 
Thanks again...OH and re the CGI, lets just pretend it was made in 1981 ish as an ALIEN Prequel
:)

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ps to ALL
watch to the VERY end of the credits?

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Trailer coming........... TOMORROW!!!!

gortat

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've watched extended version a week ago or so. So, it's like with your AVP Outbreak fanedit, something can be improved (AVP) and something is unredeemable (AVP:R). So, with Covenant you improved the structure and reconstructed the first act from the virals and deleted scenes, it doesn't feel chopped anymore. You cut out some bits here and there, but the crew's stupidity was unsavable unless you wanted the film to be much much shorter.

So, the movie is still very stupid and Darwin award-worthy (especially medbay sequence), but has some time to breath, we get to know something about the new characters and something new about the old characters. I think the epilogue and what Weyland-Yutani showed the crew on Phobos confirms it was all planned by them and David from the beginning, it's the same story as with Ash and Bishop.

Technically I have nothing against it, perfect, and the enjoyment was top notch - I liked the movie more than the theatrical cut, it was really fun, very dumb and very fun.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank for that...I can't agree more in regards to the crew stupidity..."stupid is as stupid does", and as you say, it would be unwatchable short if the stupidity is taken out so this is what happen when you polish a turd; it still smells, but at least we are a tad more engaged. At least the crew of the Nostromo were a bit smarter. Lets hope that the apptitude testing for future outings has an IQ test for potential crew members....

THANKS FOR WATCHING

Top Bottom