• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ALIEN-ATE by TMBTM

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Starting to download this right now. Just a head's up but the links from Uploading.com are already dead. They must set a limit of downloads per file or time limit or something because I can't imagine them being dead already otherwise.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Starting to download this right now. Just a head's up but the links from Uploading.com are already dead. They must set a limit of downloads per file or time limit or something because I can't imagine them being dead already otherwise.

Yep, I saw that even before the release, but as the main hosts were online I thought it would be okay.
Thanks for reporting it anyway.

johnnythewolf

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Seen it. Interesting take on A4, indeed.

I like how you managed to alleviate my only two gripes with the original movie, namely a few plot contrivances and Pitof's horrendous SFX. No more Alien bullet-time, yeah! Too bad you couldn't do anything with the crappy acid spit FX. Oh well. Also, the colour correction does help make the film feel more gritty, and the making-of extra is a welcome and very informative addition, especially for neophytes like me.

However, I have a few nitpicks:

1- While it was very well-executed, I'm not too sure I understand the ending: why is the Queen emerging from the ground, all of a sudden? Just what happened to Ripley? If it is what I think it is, then why is the Newborn killing Brad Dourif's character and DiStephano? AFAIK, "it" had no real beef with the former, and the latter was an ally.

2- Although I understand why you chose to do it, it's a shame that you got rid of most of Jeunet's zany black humor. Thankfully, you kept the scene where the Doctor gets a taste of his own medicine.

3- There seems to be a sound issue at the end, when Ron Perlman kisses Dominique Pinon. Why does everything sound so muffled, except for the seatbelt noises?

4- Really, the AVP footage really isn't necessary. Besides, you can tell right away that it is not taking place aboard a ship, as the floor and walls are clearly made of stone.

All in all, a commendable job. It's always good to see A4 getting some love nowadays.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi, johnnythewolf.
All valid points. I 'll try to answer you the best I can, hopefully without sounding too much like trying to explain the unexplainable, lol.

Please do not read the following reply of you did not see the edit:

- It is what you think it is. Indeed.
I could have skip the death of the scientist, but I wanted to show that the "newborn/Ripley" is still an hybrid like in the original movie and so act part alien, part human.
To me "she/it" wants to takes revenge on the scientist that took part in her creation. A creation that turned bad in the end, she's not a "perfect"clone at all.
She was a "butterfly" waiting for her transfomation. Her angriness is mulitply by this transformation.
Distephano 's death is another thing: I HAD to have blood on the window. So I made Distephano injuring the newborn FIRST then the newborn killing Distephano.
Of course the newborn takes Distephano's head in its hands, but it do not kill Distephano until this one shoot the newborn. That is the best I could do: an "answer" of the newborn to this shooting.
Plus, after that, the newborn is watching its hands, full of blood, like "what the fuck I just did?" I know it's not perfect and sound a bit like I'm telling stories to myself but well,
watching this awfully bad actor having his head explodes is a personnal pleasure of mine anyway! lol
And the queen appears from the floor because I just could not make the queen appearing behind the newborn without a proper "introduction" shot. It would have been lazy editing to me. I felt the need to make the queen apparition a "BAM!" shot.
2 - Well, Jeunet's black humor is fun, but I know most people would have prefered their Alien 4 without that kind of humor. (like Brad Douriff's scene with the alien in it cell).

- The sounds in this scene have been remade. The movie is about to end, and I wanted the quiet final music to be heard very well to make a smooth audio transition with the final Winona Rider scene.
I did not want to had sounds of the spaceship, or sound of wind etc... I wanted the quiet music to be heard. So I only remade the sound of the kiss and the seabelt
(the sound dealing with the characters only and not their environment.) But you noticed something wrong, so I guess I failed somewhere on this scene. ;)
4 - Yes, the stone floor of the AvP footage.... Of course I thought about it and I would have prefered something else, I spent alots of time cropping the frames on those scenes,
because in the original AvP footage you can see even more the stone environment (the walls etc...) I did my best. In the end it do not bother me much. And most people I know who have seen the edit did not complain about it.
But completely I understand your point.

Thanks for your feedback! :)

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching it and thought it was another solid edit. You really cut to the chase and I liked that. You did however leave in one thing I would have liked to have seen removed. There's a short scene with Reese and Call where Reese is working under the hood of something and he asks Call "What has two thumbs, one eye, a pink tongue and fucks like a god?". She says "What?" and then he uses his thumbs to point to himself. Those jokes always annoy the hell out of me because they're not funny and they're painfully obvious from the start. Why did you choose to leave that in?

Oh and I loved the Making Of you did. Very informative and it really makes you appreciate all the work that went into making the edit.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
You did however leave in one thing I would have liked to have seen removed. There's a short scene with Reese and Call where Reese is working under the hood of something and he asks Call "What has two thumbs, one eye, a pink tongue and fucks like a god?". She says "What?" and then he uses his thumbs to point to himself. Those jokes always annoy the hell out of me because they're not funny and they're painfully obvious from the start. Why did you choose to leave that in?

That bit does make me smile every time. However, other attempts at humor that were left in annoy the hell out of me. "I'll give you holes, you slimy bastard!" UGH. Totally what you or I would say when confronting an Alien. Or "Must be a chick thing". Rimshot. The non-removal of lines like those is the only thing I didn't like from this otherwise brilliant edit.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks frantic Canadian :)
- "the Two Thumbs" joke works for me every time, I don't know why, I think it's the way the actors are playing this scene (a scene -that is not in the theatrical cut, so in fact I did not let it in my edt: I added it! With proud, lol)

Dwight,
-I kept most of the of the one-liners because I think most of them works okay. I mean they do cheapen the movie, but in a nice Arny's Comando way. Some quotable lines in the middle of all those uninteresting dialogue can't hurt, IMO.
Howerver I have a problem myself with the "I'll give you holes, you slimy bastard!", it's not the line itself, it's that in the original movie he says that because the acid of the alien just made holes in his leg and hear, so the line is a answer to that, in my edit its just on more one-liner with no purpose to begin with. But I need this shot where Dominque Pinon Rotates his chair to shot more bullets on the alien.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also, about the "two thumbs" scene:
I use it in another part of the movie (in the original this scene is way earlier in the movie). To replace the drunk Winona's scene. I needed a scene to give the sens of time passing a bit. So I thought having those two characters that we did not see very well in my edit before, and a bit of ther relationship was needed.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's a lot of hard-ass comments in the other films as well, so I don't see the problem, personally. It's not a family film after all. :D As long as the delivery is good, it fits. I've yet to see this edit myself (waiting for the .avi release).

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM, I just want to say: wow!! You have some major balls doing what you did with the new ending for this edit, it came as a total surprise to me and the impact was quite high... my first reaction was blasphemy and then as the last minutes rolled by I saw the huge way it fits; and well, I believe that this will be my go to version of Alien 4.

The general clean up of crap was stellar as usual, and my only gripe was the second "unwarranted" death that johnnythewolf mentioned earlier - but I certainly have no beef with the first. Your explanation for it makes it clear that it is necessary so... no way around it.

Oh and a nice touch you slipped in with the access code from the Betty ;)

10/10 = this is the shit people...

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent edit, once again TMBTM thinks outside the box to deliver a stunning piece of work. Also loved the extras of how the changes were achieved.
Well done TMBTM and thankyou for sharing.

johnnythewolf

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been thinking about a way to improve the penultimate scene (Perlman kissing Pinon) with the reconstructed audio. Maybe that's just it: there's no need for sound effects! The dramatic music alone works just fine.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Xvid version (along with the "making of" about the special effects, and the french and english subtitles, srt) can now be found on the .info page. :)

johnnythewolf:
yeah maybe just removing all the sound effects could have worked, but I felt something was missing. So I just added the few sounds I wanted. In the end its all a matter of what you think works the best when you're editing, and I thought it was the right thing to do. It's clear that it's not perfect since you noticed it, but I usualy do not make version 2 of my fanedits; unless it's something that change the project a lot, like the "dusty" versions of my silent Star Wars. And even those "dusty" versions were something I thought about when I released the first versions. In fact I wanted both versions to be available, so I don't count them as "version 2" anyway.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Going the extra mile… every now and then you experience a fanedit which reminds you how much you can actually alter a film and keep a coherent storyline intact. Such is the case for TMBTM’s Alien-Ate.

I’ve been a fan of his edits ever since I saw his infamous take on Spielberg’s Jaws and my respect grew further still with his quite excellent Harmonica, which for me is still one of the best fanedits out there. Turning his hand to the Alien franchise therefore certainly had me intrigued and excited to see what magic he could come up with this time around.

The fourth Alien movie has always fascinated me. Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s somewhat avant-garde visual style feels at odds with the Hollywood system which surrounds the picture. It certainly does not feel like a normal Hollywood movie and Joss Whedon’s quirky, if uneven script only contributes to this odd, but effective atmosphere. Sigourney Weaver is excellent as the Ripley clone, and there’s a fine support cast with notable turns from Ron Perlman, Michael Wincott and Brad Dourif, amongst others. And then there’s um, Winona Ryder… ah yes, well you can’t have everything.

Despite the positives outweighing the negatives however, Alien Resurrection still has enough problems to prevent it from being anywhere near as impressive as Ridley Scott’s Alien or James Cameron’s Aliens. Whedon’s script can’t seem to focus the action enough to engage the emotions of the viewer, the underwater scene almost kills the movie due to how long they are able to stay underwater with no oxygen, and Winona Ryder really is quite awful in a pretty key role. TMBTM, by trimming certain scenes and in particular by changing the ending of the film, attempts to lessen these problems as much as possible and in doing so he’s created a film which certainly outclasses the theatrical cut and leaves one almost applauding at the screen with the work which has obviously been put into the final product.

Video: Some impressive if subtle colour grading makes this appear more in tone with Ridley Scott’s Alien, which can only be a good thing in my book. 9/10

Audio: As is usually the case with TMBTM, there are no drop outs, varying volume level problems or anything like that. A nice punchy mix. 10/10

Editing: Excellent choices which get rid of some of Whedon’s more annoying dialogue moments, and the finale which involved a ton of work to change the way the story concludes is quite superbly handled and will have everyone wishing they had access to After Effects! However, I personally would have liked to have seen some trimming of the underwater scene. Making it shorter would have improved the plausibility no-end. Also, some of Winona Ryder’s annoying lines are still there for all to hear, but then there’s no way she could be successfully removed from the film entirely so I can’t really criticise too much for this. At the end of the day, these are personal annoyances to me, so I would still class this as a very strong 9/10.

In conclusion, Alien-Ate is another reminder if one were needed, that TMBTM is one of the very best fan editors out there. Any fan of the Alien franchise needs to see this as it totally revolutionizes the fourth Alien film for the better.

I’m already looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next. No pressure mind
icon_wink.gif

Overall I would give Alien-Ate 9/10, whereas the theatrical cut I would give 7/10.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks lastsurvivor :)

yeah, I could have trimmed the underwater scene... Specialy when I heard Jeunet telling the actors to make a lots of bubble to make it more graphic and to add tension.... It do not add tension Jean-Pierre! It just look like everyone have an impossible amount of air in their lungs!
The only one that appears to be breathing under water is Ripley. Look at how she is opening her mouth in some shots, like she uses water to breath, like a fish would do.
I only cut a CGI shot of the two coming aliens in that scene, and also half a second of the explosion of one of them (to make the action a bit more sudden). I could have cut Di Stefano opening the door (underwater) for everyone to escape, but this character already do almost nothing in this movie (exept bad lines with bad acting), I thought I could let him actualy do something that help the others.
PS: I also cut some shots of the eggs, that were shown before they really reach the surface. To make it more like a surprise and not like a poor suspens, IMO.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The DVD version of this edit is now on usenet (.nzb).

Trilaanus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It took me a while to understand what you did, I liked the original alien hybrid story very much, but the uber shapeshifting/transformation fan in me is delighted now!. Kudos!

S

steFANedit

My review of ALIEN-ATE by TMBTM
I guess I’m one of the few that actually likes the original cut of Alien 4, the theatrical cut that is. IMO the director’s cut of Alien 4 or the DC/SE of either of the Alien movies are inferior to the theatrical cuts. TMBTM have used the director’s cut as the source (update: I was corrected, he only used 4:30min) for this fanedit but considered that this version is so different from any official version it becomes easy not to compare and instead just watch and enjoy. The color correction that has been done also helps the viewer separate this from the other versions.

Audio/Video was excellent and the added special effects are excellent and places TMBTM alongside with Adywan IMO. Speaking of special effects; everything that has been added has been so so that TMBTM can push the story in a different direction (or maybe I should say; give the story a different meaning) The end result is fascinating but not something I agree with and IMO makes less sense than before. But I did enjoy this cut and the presentation was excellent so I can’t give it anything but a 10out of 10. The dvd has a special feature were TMBTM shows what special effects he made and why, that made me appreciate the edit even more.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The DVD version of this fanedit is now available at rapidshare.

Top Bottom