• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ALIEN-ATE by TMBTM

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The edit is released!
(A Xvid version will be available in a couple of weeks.)

ALIEN-ATE_3dview.jpg

INTENTION:
I’m one of those who quite liked Alien Resurrection when I saw it in theater.
Maybe because the director is also french, I don’t know, lol.
Still, there are plenty of nonsens, weak suspens and a kind of poor ending in this movie,
and multiple viewings do not help.
Do not hope to see a completely different movie, it is still the same story and events (mostly), but I think the new cuts make the whole thing go at a nice pace (I could have cut even more lines, as it is a very talkative movie, but 1h30 is short enough for an Alien movie, I feel).

EDITING DETAILS:
2003 version: 4 minutes 30 seconds added.
Alien vs Predator: 57 seconds.
18 shots with added special effects: total 1 minute 27 seconds.
behind the scene footage: 14 seconds added.

CREDITS:
Thanks to Uncanny Antman for providing honest and useful feedback on my workprint. I also use one of his idea for a major change in an action scene.
Thanks to Q2 and Throwncpr for technical help.
I forgot to credit user AVP in the edit but he also provided technical help. Thanks Paul!

DO NOT WATCH THE MAKING OF BEFORE THE EDIT: MAJOR SPOILER.

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats on releasing this! I've been looking forward to watching since you first announced it, downloading right now to see if I can get to watch it soonish :)

PS - I hope the hybrid is better presented somehow :p

Stepstone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's an excellent trailer!

I was doing my own edit this film to remove all the weird and quirky stuff, to try and make it a bit more like the other films. So I'm really looking forward to seeing this to see how you dealt with certain things. Can't wait.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks guyz.

Well, Stepstone, I maybe removed some weird and illogical actions but I kept most of the one-liners (because well, there are no real interesting dialogue in this movie anyway, so why not keep some fun "schwarzy-like" quotable lines!) and the mood of the movie IS Alien Resurrection anyway. Not to mention some things I added that could alienate some fans.
I think it's an interesting edit "fanediting-wise", and I'm sure some people can enjoy it, but I think the definitive "make Alien 4 like the other movies" edit is still a Grail to find (if doable... and I 'm not sure at all of that!)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jeepers between this, northwest passage and a workprint i have my fill of great stuff to watch this week/weekend! congrats on what i'm sure will be another top shelf release TMBTM!

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looking forward to finally seeing this one TMBTM. What workprint are you planning on watching elbarto?

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey, the link on .info points to the DLC for your Conan fanedit, not this one :( hope it can be fixed soon

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
havok1977 said:
Hey, the link on .info points to the DLC for your Conan fanedit, not this one :( hope it can be fixed soon

You beat me to it :D

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Thanks a bunch L8 :)

This review is based on my opinions and my viewing experience. Nothing is meant as an attack. Spoiler warning.

AUDIO: Sounded just fine to me, no complaints! 10/10

VIDEO: You know, i think i like what you have done to the look of the picture more
than i like the look of the original. It is quite elegant. 10/10

EDITING: Here's where this edit shines, TMBTM seemed to have an endless bag of tricks, very creative and clever.
The attention to detail really is something to behold. 10/10

ENTERTAINMENT: This edit is put together in such a way that you really do get a new ride, the story is coherent
and the new spins are alot of fun. I was not dissapointed. 10/10

10/10 overall!!!

SIDE NOTES: This edit is a must see. It has it all, slick editing, georgeous menu's, seamless effects and plenty of suprises. Check it out right now!!!

Waslah

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As I told you earlier TMBTM I thought this was about as good as any edit of this movie could be and your ending in particular is what really makes it. I haven't gotten around to actually writing up a review yet, but yeah, this is truly a great edit in my opinion.

Waslah

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought it'd be fine to double post in order to place my review here:

To start with a brief rundown of where I’m coming from with this edit, I started it with a little bit of trepidation. I think like a lot of people I was a fan of the Alien trilogy before this movie came out and while I had had my issues with Alien3 overall I enjoyed it and thought that it worked as an end to the series, but then this movie came out. It looked drastically different; a lot of it was very goofy, Ripley – though understandable to some extent as it wasn’t really the Ripley we knew – was very out of character, and just over all the film just felt like it didn’t quite fit the series. All of that was capped off by an ending that was just too strange, hokey, and utterly goofy. So to say that I was curious to see what TMBTM had done with this is very much an understatement.

Before I get into any of the actual content I just want to talk about the technical for a minute. The presentation here is excellent. Menus, bonus features, etc. all look great and feel like the kind of thing you would have gotten from an official studio released DVD from just a couple of years ago. The sound quality is excellent. As has come to be expected from TMBTM the edit work itself is masterfully done. Often I found the cutting to be completely invisible, and never once did I ever catch the editor at work with any hard cuts or choppy work of any kind. Beyond that the new F/X work is done brilliantly. One added bit towards the end with a newly created reveal (the footage taken from Alien VS Predator as mentioned in the cut list) works perfectly and feels as though it’s a part of the original film. Had I not known that it wasn’t I would not have questioned it. On the other hand, there is a moment with the Queen Alien, where we see it walking, that I do find looks a little bit wonky. However, I can’t determine if that’s because of the effect itself or just because I know so clearly that it’s not from the film.

Now, moving to the content. Unfortunately much of what I don’t like about the film is so ingrained into the film that a lot of my problems couldn’t be fixed by any edit. So while I truly appreciate the work done here, unfortunately I’ll never find the movie to be anything beyond average. That being said what I would have originally considered to be a 5 or 6 out of 10 is turned, here, into an easy 7 and turned into a much more enjoyable and entertaining experience. Bad or goofy dialogue is removed, which goes a long way towards helping the film, and the overall odd tone of the film is stripped away as much as possible, and a very subtle recoloring helps to get the picture more in line with Ridley Scott’s original film.

As for Ripley’s acting out of character a dramatic, bold, and inspired change to the ending actually manages to justify this far more than anything the original edit/narrative ever accomplished. If there is one thing about this version of the picture that absolutely makes it a watch it’s the ending. The editing, F/X work, and general concept and execution turns a silly, somewhat stupid and soulless climax into a controversial, fresh, and truly emotional cap to the series.

For me this, despite not being able to excise all of the things I have issue with, is a brilliant piece of work and I’m happy to give it an 8/10

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Already a greatest FE, can't wait for the xvid :D

congrats TMBTM

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sunarep said:
Already a greatest FE, can't wait for the xvid :D

congrats TMBTM

We are currentely discusssing to change the rules to enter the greatest fanedit page, that's why I did not make a article aout it yet.
But thanks anyway! I have made a xvid, but I want to also make a xvid dor the making of.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
We are currentely discusssing to change the rules to enter the greatest fanedit page, that's why I did not make a article aout it yet.
But thanks anyway! I have made a xvid, but I want to also make a xvid dor the making of.

too many good edits in the last time huh ;)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sunarep said:
too many good edits in the last time huh ;)

We're proud to have such nice fanedits around each months, but FE.org is growing and we feel the greatest fanedits pages should presents the very few best of the best and entering the greatest fanedit page in 3 days is cool and laughable at the same time if you know what I mean.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
totally, I'm really happy that the quality has increased so much but we really do get a lot of greatest fanedits lately, you have a point

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe the "greatest" edits can simply become a list of 'Highly Recommended' edits?

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe a higher review limit would do it?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks guys. The topic is being discussed amongst the admins and mods, and will probably take into consideration a combination of things. It will result in a much smaller, more meaningful list. More to come soon.

Now, back to the discussion of ALIEN-ATE ;)

Top Bottom