• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Alien Appendix (Complete Project thread)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
alien_appendix_1-7_3dpromo.jpg

This thread will compile and discuss all the releases to date, and those being worked on for the massive Alien Appendix project

Released to Date:

Alien Appendix 1: Alien Evolution link
Alien Appendix 2: The Alien Virtual Workprint
Alien Appendix 3: The Alien Archive link
Alien Appendix 4: THe Aliens Archive link
Alien Appendix 5: The Aliens/Alien 3 Archive link
Alien Appendix 6: The Alien Resurrection Archive link
Alien Appendix 7: The Alien Saga Archive

A Project by: Meedermow, Jonno, tb1971, RIJIR, Ash595, 8t88, Xeno Alpha 07, triffid, suntech

more information can be found at the following links:
http://alienanthology.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_Appendix
http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Preservation-of-Alien-Evolution-doco/topic/2931/
http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/to...The-ALIENS-Archive-now-completed/topic/10639/
http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Alien-Appendix-5-6-The-ALIEN-SAGA-Archive/topic/10746/
http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Alien-Appendix-7-The-ALIEN-SAGA-Archive/topic/11437/

Faneditlover

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I believe it's been a long time since the last Alien Appendix was made. So, I thought I just throw some ideas around to create another Appendix(es) for the collection:

ALIEN APPENDIX VOL 4: Aliens Archives

Intention/purpose: To collect anything releated to Aliens

-Entertainment Tonight Review of Aliens (Thanks to RIJIR of Original Trilogy forums for telling this)
-Aliens Super8mm Version (Thanks again to RIJIR. You know, he has this.)
-Siskel's and Ebert's Review on Aliens
-Aliens Special Edition UK VHS Trailer
-Alien and Aliens Promos and B-roll

ALIEN APPENDIX VOL. 5: Alien 3 Workprint

Intention/purpose: To reconstruct the original workprint of Alien 3 using the Alien 3 2-Disc CE.

Sources: Alien 3 2-Disc CE

Special Features:
-Anamorphic 2.35:1 Widescreen
-The Making Of Alien 3 (Taken form the first Alien 3 DVD release)
-Alien 3 EPK
-Alien 3 Fan Film (That's right! Before it was a motion picture, a fan made it into a fan film. Includes Original Version and Extended Version)
-Siskel's and Ebert's Review on Alien 3

ALIEN APPENDIX VOL. 6: The Legacy Of The Alien Saga

Intention/purpose: To recollect The Alien Legacy and The Alien Saga Documentaries

Special Features:
-Alien Parodies and Refrences Montage
-BONUS: Alien Resurrection: Making Of Featurette (Taken from the first Alien Resurrection DVD)
-BONUS: Siske's and Ebert's Review on Alien:m Resurrection

ALIEN APPENDIX VOL 7: When Alien Met Predator

Intention/purpose: To gather all stuff on making AVP 1 and 2 not seen on their R1 Unrated DVDs.

Special Features:
-The Making Of AVP Featurette (Taken from the AVP R-Rated DVD)
-AVP Reqiuem: Primitive Design: Creating the Predator
-AVP Requiem: The Science Of The Xenomorph
-AVP Requiem: The Science Of The Hunter (These 3 featurettes taken from Germany Set)
-AVP Requiem Trailer (Not on the official release)
-2 AVP Parodies from Robot Chicken
-AVP 1 and 2 TV Spots
-BONUS: 2 Predator Trailers
-BONUS: Siskel's and Ebert's Review on Predator
-BONUS: Siskel's and Ebert's Review on Predator 2
-BONUS: Alien Quadrilogy DVD Trailer

ALIEN APPENDIX VOL 8: Alien Merchandise Archives

Intention/Purpose: To collect merchaindise what-not releated to the Alien series (Mostly video games).

-Footage from the unreleased game Aliens: Colonial Marines
-2 Alien 3 (Genesis) Video Game Isolated Music Tracks
-Alien Resurrection: The Video Game Trailer
-Alien Kenner Commercial
-Alien: A Videogame History (As seen on Youtube)
-Alien Vs Predator Arcade Game Intro
-Aliens Vs. Predator Extinction Game Trailer
-Atari Jaguar Alien Vs Predator Game Commercial
-Merchaindise Photo Galleries
-Walkthroughs, Video Game Trailers, and much more merchaindise stuff.

Sorry 'bout that last one there. But I need to go to bed. :wink:

Most of the thanks goes to penismightier and RIJIR of the Original Trilogy forums and the many Alien fans on Youtube.

Hope this gives the creators of the Alien Appendix series something to think about.

rijir

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually I have the ALIEN super 8 film and not Aliens. It exists. I just don't have that one.

I'm sure I have more Alien/Aliens related stuff on VHS that I taped off TV all those years ago. It is just getting around to capturing all those old tapes (that are not labeled well).

I also have the Heavy Metal Illustrated Alien Story. I have more than one copy. I was willing to sacrifice a copy to have scanned into files for a "slideshow" or something. I actually thought a cool idea would be to have a kind of like storybook version. Using the Illustrated Story set to soundtrack audio from the score and selected dialog from the film you could have kind of a retro version like many of you might remember we had with Star Trek LP's and storybooks.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alien_Appendix_4.jpg

by Jonno
Alien Appendix contains several DVDs including rare and special featurettes about Alien. No4 is a Preservation of several featurettes about ALIEN and ALIENS.

original film name: Alien Quadrilogy
new film name : Alien Appendix 4
edit crew name : Jonno
Date Edit Was Released on FE : August 2009

On the disc:

James Cameron: A Director and His Work
Excerpt from VISUAL FUTURIST: The Art & Life of Syd Mead
Vintage preview and review from Entertainment Tonight
Excerpt from The Greatest Ever 80s Movies
Trailers and TV spots
Alien War featurettes
Aliens: Ride at the Speed of Fright

Thanks to everyone who contributed materials – I think this disc mainly consists of material from TB1971, Meedermow and Rijir, but if you provided anything on the list and I’ve forgotten you (it’s been a couple of years!) let me know and I’ll make sure you get a credit.

And thanks to Ash595 for yet another cool cover! I hope everyone finds this disc to have been worth the wait.

//Release Information//
—————————————————————————————————————————–

DISC DETAILS
==========

Title : AA04 – The Aliens Archive – Version 1.0 – July 2009
Type : DVD Movie
Video Format: DVD/VOB/MPEG2/720×576/16:9 and 4:3/PAL
Audio Format: Dolby Digital 2.0 (various bitrates)
Size : 4.35GB
DVD-Rom : NFO, Cover and disc art (by Ash595), Alien War and Fan Club scans

RELEASE DETAILS
===============

Sources : VHS and DVD from PAL and NTSC broadcasts, laserdisc, promotional DVDs
Transfers : TB1971, Rijir, Ash595, 8t88, Xeno Alpha 07, Jonno, meedermow
Authoring : Jonno
Creator Catalog: AA04
Release Group : Alien Appendix Team
Contents : James Cameron: A Director and His Work, Excerpt from VISUAL FUTURIST: The Art & Life of Syd Mead,
Vintage preview and review from Entertainment Tonight, Excerpt from The Greatest Ever 80s Movies, Trailers and TV spots,
Alien War featurettes, Aliens: Ride at the Speed of Fright

//Alien Appendix Release List//

AA01 – Preservation of the “Alien Evolution” documentary (PAL) – Version 1.0 – March 2006
AA01a – Preservation of the “Alien Evolution” documentary (NTSC) – Version 1.0 – May 2006
AA02 – Alien Redux – “The Virtual Workprint” – Dual-Layer anamorphic – Version 1.0 – July 2006
AA02a – Alien Redux – “The Virtual Workprint” – Single-Layer non-anamorphic – Version 1.0 – July 2006
AA03 – The Alien Archive – Version 1.0 – February 2007
AA04 – The Aliens Archive – Version 1.0 – July 2009

//Team Notes//

Alien Appendix 4: The Aliens Archive collects material provided by the following contributors:

tb1971
RIJIR
Ash595
8t88
Xeno Alpha 07
Jonno
meedermow

DVD authored by Jonno

Cover designed by Ash595.

Thanks to the many contributors and supporters of the Alien Appendix project on originaltrilogy.com!

//Distribution Notes//

PLEASE – DO NOT sell this disc for profit.

This DVD is a “not for profit” fan created transfer, intended for entertainment and educational use only.

DON’T SUPPORT PIRACY.

You are welcome to share, trade or Pay this disc Forward but please keep this NFO file and DVD_ROM folder intact.

//Alien Appendix//

All Appendix discs are Fan Created Preservation efforts taken from the best possible materials.

We are a Worldwide group who all share an enthusiasm for the Alien Series.

We will not create any titles that are officially available in the current Worldwide marketplace.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
alienevolutionweb1co.jpg

by Meedermow
What is it about? Alien Appendix contains several DVDs including rare and special featurettes about Alien. No1 is a Preservation of the 2001 documentary “Alien Evolution”

original film name: Alien Quadrilogy
new film name : Alien Appendix
edit crew name : Meedermow
Date Edit Was Released :2006/2007

details:

AA01 – Preservation of the “Alien Evolution” documentary – Version 1.0 – March 2006
Type: DVD Movie
Video Format: DVD/VOB/MPEG2/720×480/16:9/PAL
Audio Format: Dolby Digital 2.0 (224 Kbps)
Size: 4.26 GB
DVD-Rom: NFO, Cover (by Ash595), Alien War Story trailers in MediaPlayer and Quicktime formats

ALIEN EVOLUTION

Running Time: 1 hour 4 minutes and 18 seconds

A PRESERVATION OF THE 2001 DOCUMENTARY “ALIEN EVOLUTION”,
A ROBUST APPRAISAL OF THE ALIEN QUARTET PRODUCED BY NOBLES GATE
AND PRESENTED BY MARK KERMODE.
AN ABRIDGED VERSION APPEARED ON DISC 9 OF THE “ALIEN QUADRILOGY” BOX-SET.
THIS IS THE FULL, UNCUT BROADCAST EDITION AND THE FIRST RELEASE
IN THE CONTINUING “ALIEN APPENDIX” SERIES: A COLLECTION DEDICATED TO
THE ARCHIVING OF SUPPLMENTARY MATERIAL INSPIRED BY
THE ALIEN FILM QUARTET AT THE HIGHEST POSSIBLE LEVEL OF QUALITY

RELEASE DETAILS
=============

Type: DV Transfer
Source: PAL broadcast
Transfer: Jonno
Authoring: meedermow
Creator Catalog: AA01

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alien_Appendix_3.jpg

by Meedermow
What is it about? Alien Appendix contains several DVDs including rare and special featurettes about Alien. No3 includes VHS and DVD from PAL and NTSC broadcasts, laserdisc and promotional DVDs.

DISC DETAILS
==========

Title : AA03 – The Alien Archive – Version 1.0 – February 2007
Video Format: DVD/VOB/MPEG2/720×576/16:9 and 4:3/PAL
Size : 4.35GB
DVD-Rom : NFO, Cover (by Ash595)

RELEASE DETAILS
===============

Sources : VHS and DVD from PAL and NTSC broadcasts, laserdisc, promotional DVDs
Transfers : TB1971, Rijir, Ash595, 8t88, Jambe Davdar, Jonno, meedermow
Authoring : Jonno
Creator Catalog: AA03
Contents :

Giger’s Alien (1979)
Excerpt from Ridley Scott: Eye of the Storm (1992)
Masters of Terror with Vincent Price (1986)
Shock & Awe: The Return of Alien (2003)
Alien: the Director’s Cut Featurette (2003)
Yaphet Kotto interview (2003)
Widescreen Alien teaser trailer and theatrical trailer (1979)
Alien Widescreen VHS release trailer (1992)
Alien: the Director’s Cut trailer (2003)
Alien: the Director’s Cut TV spots (2003)

Artists’s intention: To really complete the Alien collections.

Hardware and software information:

Disc authored in Adobe Encore 2.0

Other programs used:

Audio Editor Pro, DGIndex, DVD Decrypter, Flash to Video Encoder Pro, Gordian Knot, Nero Recode,Rejig, TMPGEnc Encoder,
VirtualDubMod andWomble MPEG Video Wizard

persons involved: We are:

Ash595 – Cover Design and Gallic charm.
Jonno – Source and Inspiration.
klokwerk – Design and Inception.
meedermow – Authoring and Tea & Biscuits.
triffid – Knowledge and Motivation.
suntech – Source and Enthusiasm.
tr1971 – ALIEN WAR, yeah baby !

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alien_Appendix_6.jpg

by tb1971

Alien Appendix contains several DVDs including rare and special featurettes about Alien. No6 is a Preservation of several featurettes about Alien Resurrection.

new film name : Alien Appendix6
edit crew name : tb1971
Date Edit Was Released: December 2009

DISC DETAILS
==========

Title : AA06 - The Alien Resurrection Archive - Version 1.0 - October 2009
Video Format: DVD/VOB/MPEG2/720x576/4:3 PAL
Size : 4.36GB
DVD-Rom : NFO, Cover and disc art (by Ash595)

RELEASE DETAILS
===============

Sources : VHS and DVD from PAL and NTSC broadcasts, web downloads, promotional DVDs, BetacamSP broadcast tapes
Transfers : triffid, tb1971
Authoring : tb1971
Creator Catalog: AA06
Contents :

ALIEN RESURRECTION - TV COMMERCIALS, BEHIND THE SCENES, THE MAKING OF, FEATURETTE: BEHIND THE SCENES, EX: L.A. PREMIERE, E!: L.A. PREMIERE, ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT: BEHIND THE SCENES / ON LOCATION / L.A. PREMIERE, CNN: SHOBIZ TODAY, SKY: MOVIE SHOW, SISKEL & EBERT: REVIEW

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//Alien Appendix Release List//
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AA01 - Preservation of the "Alien Evolution" documentary (PAL) - Version 1.0 - March 2006
AA01a - Preservation of the "Alien Evolution" documentary (NTSC) - Version 1.0 - May 2006
AA02 - Alien Redux - "The Virtual Workprint" - Dual-Layer anamorphic - Version 1.0 - July 2006
AA02a - Alien Redux - "The Virtual Workprint" - Single-Layer non-anamorphic - Version 1.0 - July 2006
AA03 - The Alien Archive - Version 1.0 - February 2007
AA04 - The Aliens Archive - Version 1.0 - July 2009
AA05 - The Aliens/Alien 3 Archive - Version 1.0 - October 2009
AA06 - The Alien Resurrection Archive - Version 1.0 - October 2009

//Team Notes//

Alien Appendix 6: The Alien Resurrection Archive collects material provided by the following contributors:

triffid
tb1971

DVD authored by tb1971

Cover designed by Ash595.

Thanks to the many contributors and supporters of the Alien Appendix project on originaltrilogy.com!

//Distribution Notes//

PLEASE - DO NOT sell this disc for profit.

This DVD is a "not for profit" fan created transfer, intended for entertainment and educational use only.

DON'T SUPPORT PIRACY.

You are welcome to share, trade or Pay this disc Forward but please keep this NFO file and DVD_ROM folder intact.

//Alien Appendix//

All Appendix discs are Fan Created Preservation efforts taken from the best possible materials.

We are a Worldwide group who all share an enthusiasm for the Alien Series.

We will not create any titles that are officially available in the current Worldwide marketplace.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
YES!!! The other discs are awesome. Looking forward to watching this one. Its amazing they are able to continue to find material for this project.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm downloading this right now and noticed two files I don't recognize in the VIDEO_TS folder. What are .layout and VOB_DATA.LAY files?

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You dont need them, they are MAC files (DVD Studio PRO).

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good to know. Thanks Paul. Just curious but if I had a Mac would those files be required for me to properly burn the disc or are they just there for no reason whatsoever?

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think they are left over from authoring.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching this and it's a great looking disc. Some good stuff on here and the easter eggs are pretty cool too, even though they aren't Alien Resurrection related.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All PAL far as i know.

Shades2585

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It would be nice if they could make an NTSC version as well. I'd like to watch it on my TV not just on my TV.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Shades2585 said:
It would be nice if they could make an NTSC version as well. I'd like to watch it on my TV not just on my TV.

I think most of the content is taken from PAL sources so it's probably just easier to convert the NTSC parts to PAL than the other way around. I've never had any problems watching PAL discs on my tv though, and I have an old tube tv. Or is it because your standalone DVD player can't handle PAL?

Shades2585

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Most DVD only play the region for which they are made. PAL is R2 NTSC is R1. Being fan made it may be R0 which should work in almost all DVD players. Since No body has mentioned R0 and they say PAL or NTSC I had assumed they meant that they were R2 or R1 respectively.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Most DVD players can be hacked with a code to make them region free - allowing play for any of the regions. That is as long as it supports NTSC and PAL playback. A lot of cheap players actually allow playback of both, but the playback is in the native format. If you have an older tube TV (CRT), and live in the USA, it won't accept a PAL signal. So, the only way to play a PAL disc on a TV like this is with a machine that converts the signal to NTSC on the fly (like the Oppo).

Newer LCD and plasma TVs can accept various signals, so often a cheap player (I have one that was $25 USD) that can play a PAL disc will play on new TVs in the US.

Region coding, as shades was eluding to is slightly different than format. So, as some of the Alien Appendix discs are region free and PAL format, they will play anywhere in the world as long as your hardware can handle a PAL signal (both DVD player and TV)

Shades, what kind of TV do you have? If it's a newer flatscreen, you might be able to circumvent the problem of PAL playback with a cheap DVD player like I mentioned (I think the brand I have is GPX). But I have an Oppo as my main unit (thanks to friends ;) )

Top Bottom