• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Alien 3: The Re-assembly Cut.

Having major problems re-constructing the workprint scenes, its driving me mad!!! :evil: :evil:

***UPDATE***

Well while comparing the scenes form the workprint with those from the Assembly/Theatrical cuts theres alot of scenes thast look the same but in fact they are not so theres alot of scenes i have to keep with the workprint segments. If this dosent work out then i might just take the workprint footage and correct the aspect ratio, de-saturate the colours and just use the scenes as they are. This is really beginning to annoy me as im on a limited budget right now i cant get the software i need at the moment. Everything else that needs doing can be done with ease :-( :-( i'll keep on going for now.... :-(

Ok its decided, im going to work on finalising the DVD without the deleted scenes. Im going to read a few avisynth tutorials and other stuff so i can re-contruct these scenes properly and correctly. Once ive done that i will update the dvd to include these scenes. Sorry about this guys, i dont want to do a sloppy job, plus i need to read/learn some more things.

***UPDATE***

Im such a TWONK!!! :???: :oops: no wonder i was having problems!!!!! LMAO i feel so stupid now, the copy of the workprint i have is in NTSC where as the footage i was usin to recontruct the scenes with are in PAL. So got my mates copy of ALien 3 in NTSC as in not fully up on NTSC to PAL yet. So started recontructing the deleted scenes from scratch. Also runnign through my edit i noticed i had to remove a scene with Golic. With being busy in on this on and off so it will take abit but i will get this finished as soon as possible. Since im adding the A3 EPK im thinking of adding te cinema press kit i got with it as a gallery feature.

OK! since i found out where i was going wrong nearly completed the workprint reconstructed cut scenes. Once completed just have to match the AR's and get rid of the timer etc etc. Most of the reconstructed scenes will consist of main scenes with alternate footage and dialogue, also scenes that are edited sightly differently. Even though the workprint is bad quality im using as much of the Assembly cut and some trailers as possible to re-create these scenes and usin the origianl workprint sound. Once completed i will have 2 deledted scenes sections.

I finally watched your cut (downloaded @ linktalk) and it looks much better than original. Many things make just more sense but anyway try to more scenes trim to get movie faster. It was much better logical but still boring movie. I hate on this movie alien first person cameras. They probably can't get out so i have few ideas. You can maybe get a different colouring, speed up them or even use some blow effect to rid of that wide angle.

Audio worked good but there was hard cut between final scene. Maybe two seperate fades or crossfading will fix it.

Video quality is changing to source. This is just fact and probably you can't make anything with it. Only idea I have about this is NEATvideo plugin as denoise&sharpen filter. That black pixels in outside scenes is "winding mess" or just technical mistake in transfer? Using HDTV sources may help you get picture with less blocks and better colours/

Technically 720x576 and 29.97fps is wrong. Please, use (depending on PAL/NTSC source) [email protected](for dvd) or @23.976(for avi) for NSTC or 720x576@25 for PAL. Letterboxing to 16:9 is also welcomed too.

That's all I can tell you about it. At final this one looks as really good working film but need few more work, mostly technical. Go for it. You're almost there

Thanks for your comments :) yeah the AVI thats available to download is a rough version ive ironed out some problems problems out. Im still new to all this so im learning while working on this :D There was lots of cuts, edits i had planned but just are not possible. The 720X576 @ 29fps was my own fault when making the AVI. Ive still got stuff to finish and read up on before i make a dvd for testing. Again thanks!

***EDIT**

Where abouts at the end of the film is the hard-cut you noticed? i cant seem to find it...

xeno_alpha_07 said:
Where abouts at the end of the film is the hard-cut you noticed? i cant seem to find it...

It's hard music cut at the absolutely end between computer shutdown and end titling. At least it seems to me first time I watched it. Now I can't hear that (don't know why).
After checking the end again I found few more things.
When prisoner is closing, there's hard audio cut of closing doors. (apx. 2:00:17) I'm not sure if you can get SFX longer or maybe reverb plugin might help.
Also falling Ripley to fire looks blinking a little. I know it was like that in original but it looks really bad.

When prisoner is closing, there's hard audio cut of closing doors. (apx. 2:00:17) I'm not sure if you can get SFX longer or maybe

Not sure how to do things like that just yet bud. Plus thats what its liek in the movie itself, you also got to remmeber i messed up the AVI converson so that 'might' cause some defects etc.

It's hard music cut at the absolutely end between computer shutdown and end titling
When ive compaired the test version with the final version i do notice some things in the test thats not on the final. Again i think thats mainly due to my error in encoding.

If i had my way id make an ADYWAN style cut with new creature CGI and Alien POV mode but im not sure how/where to start/learn yet. One day i will do this and make a V2.

i meant prison, not prisoner...sorry=)
it was absolutely hard audio cut, not encoding mistake.

xeno_alpha_07 said:
Thats the film itself bud, i havent made any edits at all...

It's still an issue and should be addressed. It's what fanediting is all about.

To be honest im looking at the section referd to by Harman and im not sure what to do with this scene. Mainly because thats how it was originaly cut and im not sure what to do with it. I'll keep experimenting and looking up some stuff till i find somehting that suits that segment if i can :) Ive also been looking at certin scenes at the end with really bad hiss and low dialogue i really want to have a dabble at repairing this but again i lack the skills and software at the moment but i am looking into it.

Thanks for that, i will attempt what i can...

***EDIT***

Ran a sample of the dialogue with the hiss in it and you lose what the actors are saying in that segment. Dosent work (yet) with the workprint audio being bad the dialogue i need could be cleaned enough to use just cant imcorparate it into the sections of the main film i need. Ah well i'll continue with the reconstruction cut scenes for now...thanks for the feedback to guys want to get these scenes finished and convet the main film to NTSC :-(

If you have sources in PAL, leave PAL resolution and framerate.

Strong reverb and maybe one little delay can help audio cut or finding some another sound in db (there are some links on forum)

And to the dialogues. They seems to be quiet in all over the movie. Volume or better dynamic compressor might really help.

Yeah the non-ADR dialogue in the new scenes is very quiet, in some cases the musical score drowns it out and other othercase theres a loud hiss also drowning out the dialogue. Some of this same dialogue is in the workprint with ADR which wasnt in the Assembly cut. The people who put the film together had to work with director and editor notes and had to work with what they had. In the end they ran out of time and money hence why non of this was corrected in the final product. I know people who have had an attempt at fixing the non ADR dialogue but aint heard from then since lol.

Also want to get ur opinions on this....been trying some colour corection...
Top image: Original.
Middle image: Split comparison.
Bottom image: Finished.

examples.png

Was a quick example. You think i should continue with the colour correction or leave as it the original?

xeno_alpha_07 said:
Yeah the non-ADR dialogue in the new scenes is very quiet, in some cases the musical score drowns it out and other othercase theres a loud hiss also drowning out the dialogue. Some of this same dialogue is in the workprint with ADR which wasnt in the Assembly cut. The people who put the film together had to work with director and editor notes and had to work with what they had. In the end they ran out of time and money hence why non of this was corrected in the final product. I know people who have had an attempt at fixing the non ADR dialogue but aint heard from then since lol.

Also want to get ur opinions on this....been trying some colour corection...
Top image: Original.
Middle image: Split comparison.
Bottom image: Finished.

examples.png

Was a quick example. You think i should continue with the colour correction or leave as it the original?

looks better. Check histogram if it's OK.

Send me DL link for original audio of that almost silent scenes. I'll try to fix it

The workprint audiop can be cleaned up no probs, but trying to de-hiss the original Film audio in places cant be dont. I originally wanted to remove the original none-ADR dialgue with some of the ADR'd workprint audio, but im finding that difficult as i cant figure out how to do it properly.

Harman heres samples from both the assembly cut and the workprint of one particular scene:
http://rapidshare.com/files/242584601/_AUDIO.rar

listen to the assembly cut audio first you'll see what i mean...

I've attempted to recreate the scenes with the workprint audio and try adding the sound effects, back grounds noises and soundtrack. But again it dosent sound right or workout at the moment.

Assembly cut audio is noisy in second half while. This one will need absolutely speech isolation with a lot of EQing and dynamic compression and separately ambient ARD.

I ran the files in audition and it seems unsyncable. At least not without cuts

Attempting to use the deshaker filter for virtualdub to try and stablise some of the workprint segments used in the contructed cut scenes. its most noticeable in the original opening. Got the neat video plugin demo which harman nicley mentiond. Tried it out of the workprint segments still messing with tsome setitngs as if i use the full settings the video the video looks to smoothed over etc which makes it look even worse. Might just use the 'only remove half of...'setting. With the ending scenes theres extreme chroma bleeding and colour saturation so everyhting looks pink and red. Going to de-saturise the colours alittle, but im using as much of the Assembly cut as possible to reconstruct these, once thats all done just crop both the assembly and workprint footage to match the AR's experimented with this the other day. Another problem is when comparing footage form the workprint and the assemblt cut ive noticed the workprint footage seems 'zoomed in' alittle is there any way to correct this so the assembly cut footage matches?

crop and resize?
carefully with neat video. setting up threshold might help you not to loss details and edges

Back
Top Bottom