• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Alexander: Warrior King

KmartKid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
alexander-poster-11x17-v02-web-sm-nocredits.jpg

It is with great pleasure that I announce my first fan edit Alexander: Warrior King a brand-new take on one of the worst movies ever made. Source material for this fan edit is the 2007 blu-ray Alexander Revisited: The Final Cut which at 3 hours and 34 minutes is the longest version of the film ever released. Ironically it was not the “final cut” as a slightly shorter version was released as “The Ultimate Cut” in 2014.

My name is Matt, I am using the handle Kmart Kid. Kmart was the store where I was introduced to many of the comics, VHS tapes, and toys that made up my childhood. Plus, The Karate Kid is one of my favorite movies. I am a production professional, mostly working as a 3D animator and compositor. I edit a little bit in my job but it has primarily been a hobby. Thanks to everyone on this forum and in this community for all of the advice here. I have been a long-time lurker and lover of fan edits. For my own first fan edit, I thought I might as well go for something really bad and see what I could do with it.

In all, I know of seven versions of this movie, including mine:

Alexander: Theatrical Cut (2004) 175 minutes
Alexander: Director’s Cut - (2005) 166 minutes
Alexander: The Spence Edit - the first fan edit (2006) 135 minutes
Alexander Revisited: The Final Cut (2007) 214 minutes
Alexander: The Ultimate Cut (2014) 207 minutes
Alexander: The A-B Cut - a fan edit by Ramapo (2016) 208 minutes
Alexander: Warrior King (2023) 91 minutes

There have been so many official director’s cuts of the movie because Warner Bros. lost their $35 million investment in the theatrical run (but it was a hit on video) so every subsequent release has been a cash grab. IMO, none of the Oliver Stone versions are good and the longer cuts are even worse than the original. However, The Final Cut included more graphic war footage, as well as additional material for a fan editor, so in that regard, I am glad it was released.

I have never seen Spence’s edit of the film (as I can’t find it) but from what I have read on the IFDB it is the closest version to my own. The most recent fan edit, Ramapo’s The A-B Cut is probably the version I would recommend to someone if they wanted to watch Oliver Stone’s version of the movie as all it really changes is to put the scenes in sequential order, as they belong. I could not use his edit as a starting point for my own because he compressed the soundtrack to stereo and I knew that I wanted mine to be in 5.1 surround.

So what is Alexander: Warrior King? In his blog post about the A-B Cut, Ramapo said that his work was a labor of love. Mine, however, is a labor of hate. I hate this movie with a passion and have ever since I first saw it on opening day in 2004. The trailer made it look so awesome like it would be Gladiator on steroids. My dad was an armchair historian and fan of Alexander so I knew the story growing up and it made me even more excited for it. Before release rumors started to trickle out that the film was going to make the famous conqueror gay. This didn’t bother me much as it has been speculated since antiquity that he may have been bisexual. But when I saw the film I was shocked that it was a gay film, as in the gay-themed genre, rather than the sword & sandals genre. His sexuality was not just hinted at, it was the basis for the entire movie.

This is only one of Stone’s strange decisions. In retrospect, I now believe that he did this in an attempt to be culturally relevant and ride the “queer new wave,” a cinematic movement that started in the 1990s. Hilary Swank had won an Oscar for her portrayal of a lesbian trans-man in Boys Don’t Cry a few years earlier and legalized gay marriage was finally on the cusp of happening in the U.S. Yet a gay Alexander movie is not what his investors nor audiences wanted to see. As someone who has gone over this movie frame by frame, I can attest that it is a gay film, aimed at a gay male audience. There are so many male crotch shots that I cannot even recall how many. Stone did throw in a straight sex scene with female nudity, but this seemed just to placate the straight audience.

In my edit, all sexuality has been cut. I counted at least five different love triangles, which are the film’s focus for the majority of the runtime. I thought that out of 3 hours and 34 minutes, I could perhaps get a 90-minute film, using only the good stuff. And there is good stuff to mine in the movie, otherwise, I would not have even attempted this. The costumes, sets, fight choreography, and vfx hold up well today and deserve a better end product. My vision for this was clear from the start, which made creating it easier. This would be only about Alexander’s conquest of Asia. Everything else would be eliminated. If a scene wasn’t about war or his expedition then it was gone. I was worried about having enough for a feature but it ended up coming in at a tight 91 minutes.

Besides the focus on love triangles (including an incest storyline with his mother), Stone made many, many more strange decisions in this movie. Some of these include:

Casting: it is one of the worst cast movies ever made. Colin Farrell foremost did not have the acting chops to play the most charismatic person in history. I cut down on his performance as much as I could. Because of her terrible performance and the fact that she was miscast as Alexander’s mother, Angelina Jolie has been removed except for a few shots. Likewise, Rosario Dawson gives a career-worst performance and has also been cut save for a few shots. I tried to protect other actors like Val Kilmer and Jared Leto by removing the worst parts of their performances.

Voiceover: Roger Ebert said in his review that he liked the battle scenes in the movie only because they spared him from Anthony Hopkins' oppressive and constant narration. Hopkins and his voiceover have been eliminated. I do not think that a voiceover was necessary. Time and place are told to the viewer with on-screen titles now.

Score: Vangelis is one of my favorite composers and musicians. I enjoy listening to his score for Alexander on its own. However, it does not work for this movie. Vangelis was hired to score the film before there was even a finished script. So he had no idea what he was getting into. In Greece, Alexander the Great is a national hero, and his music reflects that. Little did he know about…

Cynicism: Stone’s film is dark, cynical, and negative. Vangelis’ score is uplifting, victorious, and a celebration. Put the two together and you have a strange juxtaposition that confuses the viewer. The only pure characters in the film are Alexander’s best friend and lover Hephaestion and his friend and general Ptolemy. Everyone else is a vile, selfish, traitor, rapist, or murderer. Alexander’s father Philip II is especially evil and sadistic as is his mother. Alexander himself is unlikeable, weak, violent, and disloyal. Warrior King is a much more flattering take. Cynicism has been cut as much as possible. Vangelis' score has been entirely removed and replaced with his superior score from another movie that nobody saw 1492: Conquest of Paradise. I ended up using every single track from the CD so it seems like it’s the score to Alexander now.

Editing: This is what prompted me to do this project. It was a way to test my skills by re-editing the Battle of Guagamela scene. It was one of the worst examples of editing of all time. It was so bad that Stone had to put on-screen titles during the battle to tell the viewers where they were. “Macedonian Left” as an example. I thought that there had to be a way to fix it so that no text was necessary and the battle would play out exactly the way Alexander described it in the council of war scene. If you end up watching just one scene from this fan edit, make it this battle, the showpiece of the movie. All music has been removed for a more immersive experience. Shots have been combined so that we are not constantly cutting from different places in the battle. It flows naturally as Alexander starts with his cavalry feint drawing out the Persians so his infantry can then attack the center. Some shots are flipped so that the Persians are always seen to be attacking from the right and the Greeks from the left side of the screen. Many shots in my cut are sped up, slowed down, flipped, or reversed. I did whatever I had to do to make this a movie someone might actually like to watch. To me, the original is so bad that only an MST3K overdub could make it enjoyable. Like the other two fan edits, this version is told in chronological order.

I was ruthless with this edit. Anything that was even remotely cheesy or cringy I cut. This means that for every scene I didn’t cut I re-edited. The total number of splices I made is 475. This presented a difficult challenge when it came to the soundtrack. Fixing all of those audio jumpcuts for a 90-minute film across 6 channels was extremely time-consuming. I used every editing trick I could to make it smooth. One of the things that made this edit possible is that the music is primarily in the front left and right tracks. Without this, I could not have done the edit. That said, there is so much music in the movie that it often bleeds into the center dialogue track and the rear tracks. I used every tool I could including some AI separation apps to get rid of it. The narration and music removal meant that in addition to new music I had to insert hundreds of sound effects to fill in the empty gaps. The rough cut of this was tremendously fun to work on, but fixing the 5.1 mix was a time-consuming chore.

Extra footage: The opening and closing credits of the movie are a cheesy After Effects comp so I made my own custom ones. I am a CG artist and compositor so those were fun to do. I also added shots where needed from a variety of sources. To show the passage of time between scenes I added location shots from 4K sources. To add to the Babylon sequence I took two shots from Marvel’s Eternals (which were obviously based on Alexander). All new footage was color-corrected to match. Alexander Revisited: The Final Cut blu-ray is not as crisp or as well color-corrected as the theatrical release. So I decided to AI upscale and enhance the entire cut to 4K and then color-correct it to look more like the theatrical cut. This will be the only 4K version of Alexander available.

There were some things that I simply could not fix. Those would be things like Colin Farrell’s ridiculous blond wig, the fact that Stone had all of his Macedonian actors use Irish accents to match Colin Farrell, and the fact that Colin Farrell is just not a good actor. I tried to darken Farrell’s hair but found it to be impossible. In the future AI tools will be able to fix bad accents and more but we aren’t quite there yet. This is the best version of the movie I could produce. I wanted it to be more like Stone’s 5-star classic Platoon. It’s very much a “guy movie.” Only one female character has any lines and that would be Annelise Hesme as Princess Strateira. I kept this scene because it showed Alexander’s compassion for the vanquished.

There are too many changes to list here, but like I said, anything that doesn’t have to do with war or conquest was cut. The film has multiple dancing sequences that were cut. There is so much dancing that there was a documentary made at the time just about them. The fan edit took about one year to do although I did not work on it every day. I am currently working on some supplemental material. I am happy with the result. This is a version I can watch to imagine what it may have been like to follow Alexander the Great 2,300 years ago and that is what I set out to accomplish. I will be submitting it soon to the fanedit.org team for inclusion in the database. This post is just a first step in the process.

So come back here for updates and In the meantime please enjoy the poster and teaser trailer!

Last edited:
I have an idea for a newer fanedit: "That Guy, Alexander". A fanedit for those who truly hate Alexander, it will be a 5 minute short film with no Alexander. No Alexander's mom. No Alexander's best friend. No Alexander's teacher. No Alexander's dad. Just some soldiers grumbling about how they have to go from one country to the next because of that f'n guy, some foreign dancing, elephants, and a burning library. Boom, smash cut to end title card. Credits.

That is funny because I did consider making an opposite version to this fan edit for fun (or torture) called Olympias that would focus only on the five love triangles and especially the Oedipus storyline. I would make sure to include the worst acting and none of the cool war stuff. It would be an interesting experiment, to make a fan edit bad on purpose.

This sounds like an interesting take on the movie. I actually own the Final Cut on both DVD and Bluray, as well as the A-to-B Cut, but have yet to watch any of them.

What's funny is that Colin Farrell has actually become an excellent actor, but only when he's playing an Irish character.

Aww, I feel bad for poor Colin. You know, I've seen in previous interviews where he talked about not wanting to do the film and being talked into it. He was worried he was too old (he was), that he couldn't find the accent (he couldn't), that the hair wouldn't look right (it didn't), than Jolie was too young to be his mom (she was)... I mean, you look at Oliver Stone's track record up to that point, and you just think "This guy is batting it out of the park, he's got one of the best track records in Hollywood...wtf do I know??" So yeah, Farrell just trusted Stone that it would all end up working out, even though Farrell said his stomach was in knots all shoot and he had doubts the whole time.

And this past year, when The Hollywood Reporter did their round table of Best Actor nominees, Farrell talked a lot about how the failure of the film was "a come-to-Jesus" moment for him, that he almost just retired from acting because he had imposter syndrome and thought "they've finally found me out!" He felt he was saddled with most of the blame for the film's failure, and he thought at the time that everyone was right.

Honestly, he was miscast, and the script wasn't right.... Stone, presumably coked up out of his mind, just had this huge vision that Alexander needed to have raw magnetism and he just really fell in love with Farrell. Stone talks about it in interviews, that in his mind, there was no other actor at the time that had the charisma and star power of Farrell, and he was convinced no one else could do it. Stone, like Tarantino and Ridley Scott, is often the biggest fan of his own films. He still doesn't see how massively misjudged the thing was from the start.

I honestly don't think the movie can be saved (for me). There's not a good ending for it and there are too many script problems, missing connective tissue. And there's no getting around Farrell being wrong for the role. But it's a fascinating disaster. In another universe, do you guys have better casting calls?

Aww, I feel bad for poor Colin. You know, I've seen in previous interviews where he talked about not wanting to do the film and being talked into it. He was worried he was too old (he was), that he couldn't find the accent (he couldn't), that the hair wouldn't look right (it didn't), than Jolie was too young to be his mom (she was)... I mean, you look at Oliver Stone's track record up to that point, and you just think "This guy is batting it out of the park, he's got one of the best track records in Hollywood...wtf do I know??" So yeah, Farrell just trusted Stone that it would all end up working out, even though Farrell said his stomach was in knots all shoot and he had doubts the whole time.

And this past year, when The Hollywood Reporter did their round table of Best Actor nominees, Farrell talked a lot about how the failure of the film was "a come-to-Jesus" moment for him, that he almost just retired from acting because he had imposter syndrome and thought "they've finally found me out!" He felt he was saddled with most of the blame for the film's failure, and he thought at the time that everyone was right.

Honestly, he was miscast, and the script wasn't right.... Stone, presumably coked up out of his mind, just had this huge vision that Alexander needed to have raw magnetism and he just really fell in love with Farrell. Stone talks about it in interviews, that in his mind, there was no other actor at the time that had the charisma and star power of Farrell, and he was convinced no one else could do it. Stone, like Tarantino and Ridley Scott, is often the biggest fan of his own films. He still doesn't see how massively misjudged the thing was from the start.

I honestly don't think the movie can be saved (for me). There's not a good ending for it and there are too many script problems, missing connective tissue. And there's no getting around Farrell being wrong for the role. But it's a fascinating disaster. In another universe, do you guys have better casting calls?

Well, William Shatner played him in that TV pilot episode :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the comments, guys. I agree that the behind-the-scenes aspects are more interesting than the movie itself. In preparation for this fan edit, I read the two books that have been published about it. One is a fluff piece, but the other one is a really interesting collection of essays written years after the film's release. I also read Colin Farrell's and Oliver Stone's biographies, which had some of the better dirt.

Stone and Farrell were both heavy drug users back then. I think that explains a lot. I agree that Stone took a strong personal liking to Farrell. Farrell admitted that he was a junkie from the time he became famous (after Tigerland) until around 2005 when he hit rock bottom making Miami Vice. In the behind-the-scenes footage, he is always seen either drinking or chain smoking or both. There is a part in the movie where Alexander is hobbling around with a cast on his foot. That was real. Farrell got so stoned during Val Kilmer's wrap party that he fell down a flight of stairs and shattered his ankle. He was so numb that he fell asleep and wasn't found until the next morning. So it sounds like it was a real party that included travel all over the world, but yeah, the script is what really killed it. I can't believe the investors allowed Stone to shoot it.

I wouldn't feel too bad for Colin Farrell though; he made $20 million from Alexander (over $30 million in today's money), an unheard-of amount of cash for an unproven box office draw. He had just been cast as Bullseye in Daredevil, and that gave the production more faith in his star power. I did like him in The Banshees of Inisherin (didn't care for the movie, though). He was well-cast in that, as playing an Irish simpleton is not much of a stretch for him.

In that book I mentioned earlier, they gave Stone the final word and let him pen the last essay. Truly, he is still very deluded about the movie. Like you said, he is his own biggest fan. The ending was difficult to figure out, as were the jumps in time. I did the best I could with it. As for casting, I think that the ideal person for the role was in front of Stone the entire time. Jonathan Rhys Meyers, whom he cast as Alexander's companion Cassander. If you have seen Showtime's The Tudors, then you know why I would say that. He was incredible as King Henry VIII. Watching Alexander, you can see that Meyers had more intensity and passion than Farrell did. He also has piercing blue eyes and a great look. So that is who I would cast with 20/20 hindsight. Even Jared Leto, in my opinion, would have been a better choice. Another cast member who would have been an outside-the-box choice is Gary Stretch (a former model and professional boxer), who played Cleitus.

One fact that some people don't know is that there were actually two other Alexander projects in pre-production at the same time. One was a 10-hour mini-series for HBO to be directed by Mel Gibson and starring Heath Ledger as Alexander. The second was to be a feature directed by Baz Luhrmann and starring Leonardo DiCaprio. It is a shame that the Mel Gibson/Heath Ledger project never happened. It was not just an idea; it was in full production with scripts, costumes, etc., being prepped. Luhrmann's film was also far along in pre-production. Stone would put out press releases to show that his film was already booking locations to make sure he was first, and sure enough, the other productions didn't want to compete and dropped out. Ah, what could have been.

Hey, cool that you know your stuff! I feel like if you're going to pull off a massive edit, you have to be really deep into it. As far as Farrell, I mean, he was pretty hot shit back in 2003. He was all over the tabloids and in all the hot spots, hooking up with, depending on the week, Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, and various Playboy Playmates. He had played the iconic Jesse James, worked with Spielberg and several other big directors, and was leading the SWAT reboot that was shaping up to be a new franchise (honestly should have been the Fast & Furious series. Hawkeye vs Bullseye was great!) I don't blame people for thinking he was capable of leading an epic ensemble piece.... just not like that.

Honestly, I wouldn't have gone for Rhys-Meyers, either. I see what you're saying, but I think part of what made him great on The Tudors was that he was so petulant and contemptible so much of the time. It's not how I see Alexander. I could maybe have bought Leto doing it. LEDGER though: there's the guy! That Gibson project sounds fantastic! Ah god, I'm pained just thinking of the loss.

This edit is currently being previewed prior to submission for approval. All interested parties who own the appropriate source material, are welcome to contact the editor via pm to request access to the workprint (at the editor's discretion) and offer preview feedback! Please post your feedback on this project thread so that the editor, all previewers and the official reviewer may assess it into their consideration. Thank you!

Last edited:
This was an amazing transformation! Absolutely loved it. Didnt even seem like the same movie. 👏

It's not even submitted yet but it is already approved. Very very well done, @KmartKid! An out the gate triumph if I've ever seen one. Welcome to our family!

Last edited:
Here are a few of the visual fixes I had to do for this edit. There weren't many, mostly continuity repairs.

The theatrical and revisited versions have completely different color palettes. For Warrior King I took down the red hue of the revisited cut and crushed the blacks just a bit. As you can see, the theatrical cut heavily crushed the blacks and added that common Hollywood gold to every shot. By reducing the red hue in the revisited cut, this fan edit added a bit of coolness.

color-correction-web.jpg

Here is another difference between the theatrical and revisited cuts. The night before the famous Battle of Gaugamela there was a lunar eclipse. The histories tells us that the Moon was blood red. Both the Greeks and the Persians were afraid of this bad omen. But as Alexander says in the movie "Moreso for Darius." He convinced his men that this was bad portent for the enemy not for them. This supposedly helped erode Persian morale the next day. For some reason the filmmakers made a lunar eclipse look like a solar eclipse, with the Earth moving in front of the Moon. I am not sure why they did this as the histories describe it being red. Anyone who has seen a lunar eclipse knows that the haze of Earth's atmosphere causes a red shadow, not a black shadow. The theatrical cut version at least looks better. I don't know why in the extended edition they used this blown-out image of the Moon. So I corrected that with a photo of a real lunar eclipse.

blood-moon-frame-WEB-2.jpg

Next is a shot that needed a paint-out. This scene needed a lot of audio work as well because it is narrated by Angelina Jolie. Removing her voice meant that new foley had to be added. Hephaestion walks into a room where a bust of Alexander is being carved. I cut directly to them walking outside. I removed a scene in the middle where Hephaestion gives Alexander a shoulder rub while he reads a letter from his mother. This created a continuity problem because in the shot before we can see Alexander lying on a bed reading. So I took this shot into Nuke and removed him. Now it seems as though Alexander was simply walking ahead of Hephaestion.

alexander-paint-out.jpg

Lastly, I had a minor continuity problem that nobody besides me noticed I'm sure. In a violent series of shots that were cut from the theatrical version, Cleitus cuts off the head of a Persian, then Stone jump cuts to another take of that shot, Cleitus throws the head at another enemy, then in the next shot he strikes yet another Persian with the head. Where did the head come from? He just threw it away! So again I brought this shot into Nuke and had the head bounce off the Persian warrior back into Cleitus' hand so he can strike the other enemy. I probably just should have cut that shot but it's one of the more interesting kills in the movie.

NSFW for gore
cleitus-cut.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've watched it and posted my review of it
This is one of the greatest improvements to a film I’ve seen on an edit. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom