• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

AI [Super-Toys Last All Summer Long]

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
A.I. Super-Toys Last All Summer Long by JasonN

Conceptual1Small.jpg

The Theatrical Release

Unfortunately Steven Spielberg's A.I. is a mess. There are parts in the first act that are really compelling and I only wish the story had simply focused on the relationship between a Mother and her substitute robotic son. The confused second act with a very poor performance by Jude Law really brings the film down. The final act is just atrocious.

There is far too much exposition in A.I as if Speilberg was too insecure about the material. The actors never stop talking, this again is something that Kubrick would have avoided.

The fact that a robot can think, talk and move with humanoid grace makes the gag of Gigolo Joe using his neck to press play on some sort of built-in hi-fi really silly.

Also the musical score, which begins with such promise rapidly becomes sentimental and "Mickey-Mousing" from the point that David follows his 'Mother' around the house while she is doing the laundry.

Other FanEdits of A.I.

The original 87 page treatment of A.I. by Kubrick does include the Dr. Know sequence. There are even some conceptual drawings of David and Gigolo Joe sitting before an Albert Einstein caricature hologram. This scene in the hands of Speilberg becomes an excuse for attempts at comedy and Robin Williams presence is clearly discernible.

Storyboard1Small.jpg

Another FanEdit of A.I. called 'A.I. The Kubrick Edit' claims to have researched and followed Kubrick's intentions but this is clearly not the case, as the Dr. Know sequence is cut-out in entirety and in doing so leaves a gapping narrative hole, which the editor has not even bothered to fill. This alone makes the title 'Kubrick Cut' a misnomer. Read more here -http://www.makingthefilm.com/interview10.html

As for the ending, Kubrick's treatment did have David trapped for two millennia in which a new ice age has brought about the extinction of man. Advanced Robots discover David and from a lock of his "Mother's" hair genetically re-build her, so that some sort of closure occurs for David but as it is depicted by Speilberg it strikes a very false note.

It should be said that A.I. is a project that has intrigued me since I began FanEditing so I thought I would see what JasonN has done with it.

The FanEdit by JasonN

JasonN has not tried to be faithful to Kubrick's intentions, which I think is a good thing. He has simply attempted to make a more watchable version of a very faulted movie. On the whole I think JasonN has succeeded.

He has created in my opinion a much better version than the theatrical release. It flows and is quite entertaining. The problems with the original are still present in the FanEdit but to a lesser extent. I agree with all of the changes made by the FanEditor in context with this version of A.I.

The ending is only slightly abrupt but very plausible as David has essentially given in to the human urges of jealousy and anger, so as a result commits a brutal act of robotic murder. As this is the case, he can just as easily feel the human emotions of depression or remorse and so end up killing himself. At the point at which he gains the irrational and illogical emotions so unique to the human, he has technically become one.

I do have to ask; If David shows such an aptitude for violence would not the line of 'David Super-Toys' not have to be redesigned and the inventor's reaction be one of dismay?

I think if the very end had used some climactic music that reached a crescendo, rather than a fade-out in the middle of a piece of music, the ending would have more finality and not feel so uncertain. The idea works well, it just needs to be punctuated.

So on the whole this is a very interesting FanEdit with it's own story to tell. It is enjoyable and well made. The editing is faultless, as is the sound editing. The DVD is simple with a static menu.

Entertainment 4 - Editing 5 - Audio - 5 - Presentation 3 = 4/5

Been working on a revised "2.0" version of my A.I. edit - this new DVD9 version will feature:

- re-introduction of the "Gigolo Joe wanted for murder" subplot back into the film
- improved audio transitions between scenes
- improved 5.1 surround mix
- a more definitive "musical climax" to the end scene's soundtrack
- DVD Extra: Alternative Ending featuring David's "meeting" of the Blue Fairy and his "perfect day" with Monica
- DVD Extra: Fanedit trailers

It's been ages since I've seen the movie, but I seem to remember not minding the ending with the blue fairy (who was just a statue under water, if I remember correctly?) but the 1 day with Monica seemed a little too perfect. The idea that he finds the blue fairy, and then dies would be alright with me.

TheoOdo said:
It's been ages since I've seen the movie, but I seem to remember not minding the ending with the blue fairy (who was just a statue under water, if I remember correctly?) but the 1 day with Monica seemed a little too perfect. The idea that he finds the blue fairy, and then dies would be alright with me.
Well, the alternative ending does feature a meeting of sorts with the Blue Fairy and a perfect day with Monica, but the sequence was edited to be more of a metaphysical nature (like a "day in Heaven" sort of thing).

The dvd for my AI [super-toys last all summer long] "version 2.0" has been 100% finalized.

I'll be working on and hopefully finishing my Silent Hill: Red God Remix dvd tomorrow, afterwhich I'll send the dvd copies of my edits to ThrowgnCpr to post on Rapidshare - if all goes well, the DVD version should hopefully be online by the second week of January.

RS for the DL-DVD "2.0 Version" are now available.

Again, many thanks to Throw.

Single layer version via linktalk.

Sorry if I appear dumb, but really want to watch this. Downloaded it, and have the rar files, but what is the password? I've looked all over for it.

Thanks

no, you have not. really not. READ!

boon23 said:
no, you have not. really not. READ!

Actually I did.

I looked all over fanedit.org, and I looked at fanedit.com (unavailable).

then I read the whole of the what is a dlc.nfo file, and then I got the info.

very subtle, and my apologies.

yes... people download from fanedit.info and look for the password on fanedit.org... they download an .nfo file with each dlc and rather look at fanedit.com (unavailable).
The password "fanedit.org" is also a seriously tough one to guess...
subtlety is killing me. :)

Someone requested this earlier. I finally got around to uploading DVD5 to Mega. I'll submit to Info. PM me if you want it and it's not on Info.

Oh God, I hated this! It has been so long since I've watched A.I. that I'd forgotten what a frustrating experience watching A.I. is. Don't get me wrong, this is a very skillfully done edit, but that source material is maddeningly uneven and gaudy. Couple that with this new ending, and Jesus Christ! It was always kind of a bummer movie, but that ending turns it into one of the most depressing things I've ever seen. I always felt like the movie should have ended with David and Teddy trapped underwater, with David begging the "blue fairy," the camera slowly pulls out, the voice-over repeats "...and the next day...and the next...," fade to black, credits. It's sad, but kind of poetic. In this version, Pinocchio finally becomes a real boy, then he just commits suicide and it's over? WTF?! I'm curious; I've never read the original story. Is that how it ended?

I don't want to review this on IFDb because I feel like so much of my reaction to it has nothing to do with your editing. Looking at some of the stuff you cut out, it is much improved...up until the end, IMO.

Super-Toys Last All Summer Long by Brian Aldiss is really nothing like either Kubrick's/Spielberg's A.I. or this edit. It's the starting point, obviously, but it's different simply because it's a very short story. It's legally available in its entirety online, so you should check it out.

Wow, that was really short, just long enough to get your imagination working. :) Thanks for the link!

Does anybody still have RAR Part 4? I tried downloading it from .info but apparently Part 4/21 is no longer online. Please PM me if you know where I can get it.

Never mind, the file is available again. It must have been a momentary hiccup.

Back
Top Bottom