• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hopefully they understand that they need to wrap everything up and don't leave it open for a never-gonna-happen Season 7.

SoboFilms

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
Hopefully they understand that they need to wrap everything up and don't leave it open for a never-gonna-happen Season 7.

I totally agree with this as I don't want it to end up like Agent Carter, where they left a pretty big cliffhanger at the end of the second season and then ABC cancelled it, resulting in a plot thread that will never get resolved.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As I understand it, things were so up in the air this season that they made two different cuts of the season finale - one to lead into a continuation, one to serve as a series finale.  I have no doubt that this will be their standard operating procedure going forward.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interestingly, is sounds like season six will not premiere til August 2019, after INFINITY WAR 2.

This is a smart move.  It will allow the show to be ahead of the game for once, and be able to build a proper story out of the movie aftermath.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Interestingly, is sounds like season six will not premiere til August 2019, after INFINITY WAR 2.

This is a smart move.  It will allow the show to be ahead of the game for once, and be able to build a proper story out of the movie aftermath.

It might be a scheduling thing, since Coulson is appearing in Captain Marvel (set in the 90s), he may finally reappear in the present day films. If he does appear in Infinity War 2/Avengers 4, the filming schedule for that plus a whole season of a show would be very tight.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A pitch perfect season five finale.

So perfect, I actually sort of wished it had not been renewed for season six.

Reminds me of on another little Whedon show, Buffy's season five finale was also stone cold perfection, but went on for two more lesser seasons.

I also loved that the producers chose to just ignore INFINITY WAR and told their own story in their own way.

10 out of 10 for me.  :D

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a pleasant surprise!  The show has been renewed for a seventh season, before the sixth has even aired!

This is especially surprising to me - I feel like the show has been on the verge of cancellation since day one.  In the aftermath of the loss of Luke Cage and Iron Fist, I kinda figured SHIELD was next on the chopping block.  This show has some serious longevity.  That's Star Trek: TNG parity.  I would have never imagined.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
Here's a pleasant surprise!  The show has been renewed for a seventh season, before the sixth has even aired!

This is especially surprising to me - I feel like the show has been on the verge of cancellation since day one.  In the aftermath of the loss of Luke Cage and Iron Fist, I kinda figured SHIELD was next on the chopping block.  This show has some serious longevity.  That's Star Trek: TNG parity.  I would have never imagined.

Weird I was sure six was going to be their last. Not that I dislike the show. Maybe season 7 will get into the Snap/Infinity stuff?

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
6 won't air until after Avengers 4, so I expect all Thanos fallout to happen then, with 7 dealingwith whatever Phase 4 is about.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm surprised too. I assumed that the reduced episode order was an indication that this would be the last season.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched the season 6 premiere.

The season five finale was so pitch perfect, I really did not want the show to return.

But it has and it has been renewed for TWO more seasons.

The season opener was all catch up and set up, which dolled out some intriguing bits and pieces.
SHIELD seems to be operating out in the open again and is actively recruiting.
The big reveal, which was ruined by marketing, of Not-Coulson, was nice.
Overall, a decent season opener.

As @"Gaith" reported INFINITY WAR/END GAME is not addressed, which makes the series continuity even more confusing.  The producers claim this season is Pre-Snap, even though the Wakanda battle was referenced in the season 5 finale and season 6 time jumps ahead one year.  Gemma clearly states they changed the timeline in season 5, so maybe the producers will just finally give up trying to reconcile with the Movie-verse and do their own thing?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched the season six finale.

While this season continued to be mostly fun viewing experience, even at only 13 episodes it felt very padded and over long to me.

The two hour final may have been the show's most comic booky yet, which I appreciated.  Though even for me, the Big Bad (I can not remember her name... not a good sign) trope of explaining her evil plan took forever, not to mention the ritual itself... well, it gave our heroes time to save the world.  The whole Shrike zombies were... I dunno... tired?  They just did not seem that scary.  Maybe I am just zombied-out?

There were some nice character beats, particularly for Deke.  And the continuing tease of will Sarge become Coulson overall worked for me.   But the scene of May trying to win Sarge over in the middle of battle by telling him the pain he feels is love made me cringe for two reasons... one, it too is a very tired trope, and it has been done much better in other shows and two, it felt completely out of character for May.  Yeah I get it, she loved Coulson and hopes he is inside Sarge, but it just rang hollow to me.

Once again, Fitz and Simmons' relationship is torn apart.  Even though the actors try to sell the moment as humorous, it too feels tired.  

So this season there was not a single mention of the Snap or Blip or whatever it is being called.  And when the Chronicoms arrive on Earth, they say the only thing that can stop them is SHIELD... no mention of the Avengers at all.  I am trusting the producers have a plan and it will all be explained in the final season (which just wrapped filming).

So while not as strong as previous seasons, it was still an entertaining weekly watch.
:D

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would like it if season 7 crosses over with the characters from "Agent Carter". Not only would it be nice to see Peggy team up with Coulson and friends, but it could help wrap up some of the loose ends from season 2 of "Agent Carter".

While they're in 1931 right now, they could wind up in the 1940s eventually.

If you want to see a set photo that may reveal a slight possible plot element from season 7, click this spoiler tag:

uxusbjdk6nc31.jpg

The context is that this photo of the bicycles for some members of the cast for season 7 of "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." was uploaded to an Instagram post by Ming-Na Wen. One of the name tags reads Enver Gjokaj. Gjokaj played Daniel Sousa on "Agent Carter". Once fans started to notice the name tag, Ming-Na Wen deleted the post, but nothing is ever truly gone on the Internet.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Watched the season six finale. While this season continued to be mostly fun viewing experience, even at only 13 episodes it felt very padded and over long to me. [...] So while not as strong as previous seasons, it was still an entertaining weekly watch.
:D

I dunno, I found it at least as good as S5, which, while well-written, was stuck in the future Lighthouse too dang long, likely for budgetary reasons. We got a lot more daytime/outside shooting this shorter season, which was nice, and I didn't find the story dragged until that last episode 13, which, as you say, was a lot of Sarge and Izel standing around and talking back and forth at each other, to no clear purpose. (And the origin of the Shrike, and their connection to the non-corporeal spirits from another dimension, wasn't made clear, either.) Ultimately, while episode 12 was cracking good fun as usual, the finale itself underwhelmed, particularly since the hinted-at Ghost Rider failed to appear. But, they really had me convinced May was a a goner!

Also, is it just me, or was it weird that even when she was apparently dying, Mac called Rodriguez "Yo-Yo"? I would have thought he'd have busted out an "Elena" there...

bionicbob said:
So this season there was not a single mention of the Snap or Blip or whatever it is being called.  And when the Chronicoms arrive on Earth, they say the only thing that can stop them is SHIELD... no mention of the Avengers at all.  I am trusting the producers have a plan and it will all be explained in the final season (which just wrapped filming).

I dunno; at this point, I'm good with them having gradually forgotten about the present-day Avengers. Since S5 can really only be set in a universe in which Thor did go for Thanos' head, killing him and preventing the Snap, maybe... er... no... hm... yeah, I guess the Chronicoms figure they can use time travel to terminate all the Avengers' parents in the past or something; who knows?

Another pressing question: will Daisy ever appreciate Deke's gift of all those lemons, and look at him this way for real?!

Daisy-Code-Yellow.jpg

Who knows, but, the important thing is, after five seasons of fiddling this way and that, we've got an LMD Coulson at last! :p

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched the series finale.

WOW!

After a middling season six, this final season was a riveting rollercoaster from beginning to end.

And what an ending!  While not as tonally perfect as the originally designed season five ender, it was a more satisfying, happy(???)  ending.   And yes, I might have gotten misty eyed a few times.

A solid and rewarding series that did not outlive its welcome.

Bravo.

PS.  But for those who are wondering.... NO, there is no story alignment with the "Snap" or the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  In the end, the series charted its own path and it was better for it.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Watched the series finale.

WOW!

After a middling season six, this final season was a riveting rollercoaster from beginning to end.

And what an ending!  While not as tonally perfect as the originally designed season five ender, it was a more satisfying, happy(???)  ending.   And yes, I might have gotten misty eyed a few times.

A solid and rewarding series that did not outlive its welcome.

Bravo.

PS.  But for those who are wondering.... NO, there is no story alignment with the "Snap" or the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  In the end, the series charted its own path and it was better for it.

Couldn't agree more.  What a finale!  I watched as it unfolded on Hulu and each time I finished an episode I couldn't wait to get to the next one.  LOVED it for going it's own way and not adhering to whatever they could to connect it to the MCU.

Now, where are the SHIELD movie fan edits at lol?

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally finished S7, and my reaction to the two-part finale was... it was fine. Indeed, it was a bit underwhelming, in large part a rehash of the S5 finale, which I wasn't crazy about the first time around, complete with a lame death fake-out for Daisy. I suppose the "original timeline" Fitz returned them to is still the non-Prime timeline in which Thor did go straight for Thanos' head, and the Snap never happened, but closing with Mack wearing a Fury jacket on a helicarrier seems a bit lame assuming this is the last we'll see of him. (Although, given the recent Far From Home cast news, never say never...) That said, it was still a satisfying and skillfully done conclusion.

And, of course, this is show is primarily about the ride; I like to call it a perpetual motion machine. S7 was probably the best since S4, and the time-hopping added a lot, especially the always-delightful Agent Sousa (even if I remain on Team Peggy/Sousa even after Endgame and this). Reviving John Garrett with James Paxton was an inspired move, but ultimately, Nathaniel Malick and the Chronicoms became rather tiresome, as did Izel and Sarge and Kasius before them. Ultimately Aida/Ophelia was the last of the genuinely compelling villains, but our heroes were so charismatic, that the weak baddies were rarely big problems outside of finales.

I kinda wish that these past few seasons, ideally after S4, had gotten even weirder - stranding the crew in a faraway realm of space and time permanently, maybe, rather than carrying on more or less as before, but with even fewer MCU connections. Much like Seasons 4 and 5 of The Last Ship being solid, yet lesser than (and superfluous to) its first three years, I could see ending a future AoS rewatch with the high point that was S4. Still, it was a fun ride throughout, and I'm glad to have taken the trip.  :cool:

S1: B+
S2: A-
S3: A-
S4: A+
S5: B+
S6: B
S7: B+
AoS overall: A-

Apart from Mack being totally hidden in his opening shot, this is awesome, and should definitely be added to all streaming versions of the finale!  :D

Top Bottom