• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally discovered this old thread after recently watching the series finale. I missed all the drama, lol! Some brief thoughts that may trigger nostalgia in ya'll:
S1: Holy crap this was a slog at the start. I despised Skye. I only watched due to obligation as a dedicated Whedonite, but I'm glad I did because it started finding its legs after 6 or so episodes. By halfway through the season, I was fully in.

S2: Still my favorite. The Winter Soldier tie-in was epic, and this is the best integration they ever had with the MCU. I wish they had done better writing to follow up on major film events, like terrorism in IM3 for example. Ward made a much better villain than hero, and Lance Hunter (an obvious stand-in for old-school Hawkeye) was just the best.

S3: Some great episodes but the overall story reveals dropped the ball a bit for me (the two showrunners have always been the show's weakest point imho). Malick was such a better, juicier villain than the final superpower-transformed ones. The sort of Secret Avengers team had so much potential and I loved it...too bad they pretty much axed them from here on.

S4: I was never sold on Coulson not being the SHIELD leader in this show or on now-Daisy just running away. This first "pod" also had a long way to go to get me to like a new diversity-hire Ghost Rider. Everybody did a great job, but I'm still not convinced the show should delve into magic. The later episodes in the Framework were fantastic though, and I loved seeing the riff on classic Captain America comics characters like Madame Hydra, US Agent, and MODOK!

S5: I gotta admit they started losing me here. Space and Kree and blowing up planets just never seemed like the scale SHIELD should be involved in to me. A lot of the MCU films don't even get that epic, and they have better budgets to do it with. The story gradually won me over with bringing in so many loose ends from previous episodes, but it felt scrambling and disorganized until the final episode, which at least had some poetry...

S6: But wait, Coulson's back! Again! Maybe? Ugh, rolled my eyes so hard throughout so much of this season. It felt like a dog chasing its tail. The stuff with Deke was pretty damn funny though, and kept me engaged. Some of the space stuff was quite fun too, and holy crap is Enoch my favorite character now? Still: weakest season of the series.

S7: Wow, just wow. New title cards every couple episodes. Time travel done right. An Endgame-style tour through the greatest hits of AoS history. Agent Carter tie-ins. Returning guests galore. This season did so much in so little time, it was amazing. No bloat, so focused, the tightest the show had ever been run. My 2nd fav season and a great way to end it (even though it busts my idea that Sousa married Carter.) Made watching the whole run worth it.

Any retrospective thoughts from the other AoS fans out there?

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
matrixgrindhouse said:

Is it too late to resurrect the Bobbi/Hunter spinoff?

You know there may be problem when the most interesting character is a giant teleporting dog LOL :p

Also, I'd argue that in any show with a giant teleporting dog, that would probably be my favorite character.  :D  AoS got saddled with doing so much of the Inhumans groundwork in order to replace "mutants" in the MCU. I wonder how different the show would've been if they could've just focused on espionage/terrorist stuff.

It's amazing how much the Inhumans show cost for how cheap it looked. So much bad acting, so many bad scripts. And let's take a character whose whole power is her hair and then make her bald all series. :huh: The premiere is by far the worst episode though... the ideas behind the drama with Black Bolt and Maximus were actually quite good once they played out. I would've liked to see AoS go to the moon and interact more with the Inhumans instead of going to a Kree future space station. Anson Mount and Iwan Rheon were actually really good in the series. Such a shame.

Top Bottom