• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

^^Regarding your thoughts in the spoiler, that would be awesome.

Not sure if that will be possible. The mask only covers the wearers face (remember Black Widow wore a wig as well as the mask in Winter Soldier) and I don't think that Ward spent the time before Bobbi got to them styling his girlfriend's hairline to look like Coulson's.

I haven't watched this yet, but heard that the 1st season isn't all that good, or at least parts of it. Are there any episodes that I should probably give a miss?

yoshif8tures said:
I haven't watched this yet, but heard that the 1st season isn't all that good, or at least parts of it. Are there any episodes that I should probably give a miss?
With the possible exception of 9/"Repairs", pretty much all the eps move the story along or plant an important character/universe detail to some degree, some of which are still being referenced and paying off, even if the episodes themselves are not very good. I'd recommend watching everything from 12/"Seeds" on at a minimum. The first seven eps are pretty decent, and lay a lot of important groundwork in terms of the team getting to know each other. Eps 8-11 ("The Well" to "The Magical Place") are the real slog, though 10-11 ("The Bridge"/"The Magical Place") are important in moving things along.

If you start with 12/"Seeds", though, you'll probably be fine.

I also enjoyed last week's ep, though I'm not entirely sure why Ward was allowed to handle weapons and be unshackled on the jet, and just what his angle is.

yoshif8tures said:
Not really any in particular you should skip. Watch the show or don't. Just my opinion. ;-)

addiesin said:
Not really any in particular you should skip. Watch the show or don't. Just my opinion. ;-)

Same here. The early Season 1 episodes aren't great, but they aren't unwatchable either. There's something of future importance in some capacity in each, as far as I can remember. Just go in to this knowing that things get much better after the halfway mark, and even better for the last stretch of the season.

"Time to call in The Avengers." Nice. Very nice. It was interesting seeing the Season 1 team on The Bus one last time. I'd say it was nostalgic, but the show is still too new for that to be accurate, I think.

yoshif8tures said:
Thanks guys. I watched the first two episodes and they were pretty bad.
I found a skip guide to get to the good episodes.

http://io9.com/which-episodes-you-must-watch-to-catch-up-on-agents-of-1572676925
That's...actually not a bad list. I'd argue that some character development is missing (like episode 9 showing why May is called "The Cavalry" (and it's not a bad one-off story), and her and Ward sleeping together adds tension for later down the road), but it will be interesting watching the 1st season with this episode guide in mind. Would like to see a fanedit that has Coulson place that "no hacking" restriction on her without any "betrayal" subplot. Also, hindsight has made episode 12 pretty important, since it introduces Donny Gill, aka Blizzard, who makes important comeback in season 2.

Found two interesting takes on the season finale, both on opposite ends (spoilers to follow in the links):

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/05/14/how-agents-of-shield-blew-it-with-the-inhumans

http://moviebob.blogspot.com/2015/05/tv-recap-agents-of-shield-season-2_13.html#more

For the most part, I'm with the latter article, since I thought it was refreshing that
Gonzales wasn't a villain in the end, just misguided, and I'm hoping for a fanedit that removes the Bobbi/Ward portions for an experience that can focus on the war.

Now, the former article does raise two good points. The first, the moral dilemma of mind wiping Cal. Mind wiping is a touchy subject in science fiction in general, not just comic books, but I think you could make the argument that this was Cal's best chance at a happy ending and become a good man again (though, why he can't just have fake memories that his wife died but his child lived if they wanted to give him a "happy ending", I'm not sure). It's uncomfortable, but I can deal with it, so long as you think that it was Cal's idea. The second point is slightly more uncomfortable. I've never had a problem with SHIELD keeping a list of powered people, after all, anyone could be a threat and it's a spy show. But, if these were Mutants instead of Inhumans, would we automatically see SHIELD, and by extension, Coulson, Skye, Fitz-Simmons, everyone else in the cast, as the bad guys? I mean, mutants are supposed to be an allegory for minorities, homosexuals, etc., and the writer of the latter article made an argument that Inhumans might be trans (with "Afterlife" and some people having to be chosen being an allegory for those who do and do not have the means to go through a trans-operation), but still, SHIELD has been doing this before the Inhumans were known, so is this just business as uasual? At the very least, I could see the show taking a much more morally gray tone. But, just maybe...if Raina says that Skye was meant to lead, and the show seems to be leading into Secret Avengers, is Skye going to become Professor X for the Inhumans?

Also, did anyone else think that Cal was turning into Jim Carrey after the adrenaline injection?

Still, I enjoyed the finale, but I hope the writers know what they are doing for season 3.

First five minutes of the season three premiere....

Looks promising.... though I was really hoping they would get their own Heli-carrier...

So is anyone still watching this show?

bionicbob said:
So is anyone still watching this show?
Of course! I'm only two eps deep into Jessica Jones, but AoS is currently my favorite Marvel show by far. (I was underwhelmed by Daredevil, and Agent Carter is fine, but they've yet to give Peggy much of a character.) I'm not at all sure, however, that I want the show to lose Hunter and Bobbi to their own spin-off, as I have plenty of shows already, and they're valuable players on Coulson's team. But yeah, AoS has been great ever since The Winter Soldier, and I hope we get some cool Civil War tie-ins. :-D

I only catch the show occasionally, and while I always find it enjoyable it not a Must Watch for me.

But maybe you can clarify something for me..... the whole world saw a SHIELD helicarrier in AGE OF ULTRON, but does the world in general still think SHIELD is defunct?

I wonder how the show is going to handle CIVIL WAR? Everything I have recently read seems to suggest there quite a creative disconnect between Marvel TV and Marvel Films. I am still annoyed Coulson and the team did not get a cameo in Age of Ultron. It would have been so cool if they had been piloting the Helicarrier with Fury.

bionicbob said:
But maybe you can clarify something for me..... the whole world saw a SHIELD helicarrier in AGE OF ULTRON, but does the world in general still think SHIELD is defunct?
Yeah, that's kind of an awkward point. AoS S2 established that Coulson was running a super-secret side project called Theta Protocol that he wouldn't even tell May about. It turned out to be him funding the helicarrier operation, which he in no way needed to keep May in the dark about, but that's pretty much the only time we've heard of it. Coulson's SHIELD remains underground, with its HQ location apparently still unknown to the government, and there's been no clarification if Fury was taking a leading role again or if his commanding the carrier in AoU was just a one-off for him. Despite helping found the show, the bottom line is Joss Whedon didn't care about engaging with it at all for AoU. Whether the Russos will be more willing to do so, we'll see.

bionicbob said:
I wonder how the show is going to handle CIVIL WAR? Everything I have recently read seems to suggest there quite a creative disconnect between Marvel TV and Marvel Films. I am still annoyed Coulson and the team did not get a cameo in Age of Ultron. It would have been so cool if they had been piloting the Helicarrier with Fury.
Well, to their credit, they were pretty busy with their own thing, and Ultron was just a week-long Age affecting a few cities here and there. I'm actively avoiding Civil War spoilers, including the trailers, but yeah, it'll be interesting to see where things go from here. :)

That trailer is hilarious. "Honest Trailers" is one of my favorite channels on YouTube. I really like the fact that if there is something positive to say, as there was in this case, they'll work it in. It really is amazing that the show is as good as it is, with all the strikes against it from the start.

I was super excited for the series before it premiered, then I was bored and irritated with the first episode and stopped watching for a long time. My wife and I gave it a second chance last year, though, and we're completely caught up now, and we love it.

It seemed like the showrunners kind of had to bide time before the cataclysmic change brought about by Winter Soldier. That's where everything kicked into high gear. The last half of Season 1 is currently my favorite part of the series, although Seasons 2 and 3 have overall been excellent as well.

Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy the series, but it is a bit strange. I feel that being a big part of the Marvel universe and always having to tie everything in to the overall picture of the Avengers holds this series back. If this were just a rag tag group of spies dealing with other worldly beings and aftermaths of superheroes then it would've been better. Being tied to everything else going on just holds it back.

Back
Top Bottom