• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Advice for Sony Vegas 10 user on Blu-ray disc authoring

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think we can all agree that Sony Vegas sucks big-time when it comes to rendering. (If only I had known what a pain messing with blu-ray was going to be a week ago...)

So here is where I am at: After much fiddling, I have worked out a reliable method for getting perfect video and sound off of a blu-ray and into Vegas HD Platinum 10 (no small feat!). So now I have two lossless master files: video= Lagarith in AVI shell, audio=W64. These are beautiful. Vegas plays nice with them. No glitchy issues so far with either of these codecs plus perfect 5.1 audio with the discrete channels maintained. Vegas can also miraculously re-encode these formats (as two separate files) and the audio stays synced when I combine them into a new Vegas project!

As near as I can tell, my "make movie" or "blu-ray authoring" options in the Vegas menus are useless, and many of the "render as" options (even when I separate video and audio) either don't work at all or render something inaccurate. As an addition to the insanity, I now come to find out that DVD architect apparently can't manage 5.1 audio? (Thank goodness that piece of garbage was bundled as an HD application)!

Which brings me to my question. Blu-ray authoring software recommendations and/or steps to work around Vegas's retardedness? I am too battle fatigued at this point to spend anymore time researching workaround solutions. My Sony Vegas disc is about to become a Frisbee. Help me fanedit forum. You're my only hope.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
retardedness
Ugh. Why must people resort to using phrases like this?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
first of all, Vegas isn't retarded, and it isn't an authoring program. Sony Vegas is a video editor. period. A very powerful editing program. It is not an interface for designing and authoring discs. That's why it comes bundled with DVD Architect - which is a fantastic authoring program.

Render your video out to lagarith from Vegas. If your settings are correct, any frames that do not have effects on them will not need to be re-encoded. Convert the lagarith video to BD-compliant streams with MeGUI. Author a Blu-ray disc with DVD Architect.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks ThrowgnCpr. Sorry for the negativity in my frustration yesterday. I will check out MeGUI for my final BD-compliant rendering. To be clear, I understand that Vegas isn't an authoring program, and I agree that it is a great editing program. It just isn't very user-friendly for dummies like me when it comes to inputting and outputting some hi-def streams (some of which Sony had a direct hand in developing such as AVC).

The thing that sparked my frustration yesterday was when I went to set my DVD Architect project properties for the first time and it would only give me 2.0 stereo as an option. It states the following in the program's help file: "Choose a setting to indicate the format whether you want to use PCM Stereo audio, AC-3 Stereo audio, or AC-3 5.1-surround audio. *Only PCM Stereo audio is available for Blu-ray Disc projects.*" The fine print here makes no sense and really upset me.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You should always keep in mind, that many of these streams are compressed formats (like MPG and AVC) and were never intended for editing. To encounter as few problems as possible, you should convert your video to AVI. Lossless is best, with the lagarith codec. As I indicated above, I would recommend also rendering to lagarith AVI from Vegas, and then using MeGUI to convert to your BD compliant streams. Note, you will need a decent amount of hard drive space to work with lossless AVI files in high definition.

As for DVD Architect, I do not encounter the same message. I am able to build a BD disc with AC3 audio. Are you using the pro version, or Studio? This may be a limitation of Studio. And please don't answer this here, but is it a legal copy of the software?

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To clarify, the only issue at hand here that I am trying to figure out is BD authoring in 5.1 sound using DVD Architect Studio 5.0. My DVD Architect Studio 5.0 program that was legally purchased will take my AC3 5.1 audio stream that I plug into it and re-render it to PCM stereo! Here is a link to a good thread that covers what the actual problem is that I am faced with: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=22&MessageID=756808. So using MeGUI for the post-production rendering vs. DVD Architect still doesn't get me out of my quandary. Essentially, this authoring program that I purchased has been rendered useless.

Here is the bottom line that I have discovered through my research of this issue: Despite false advertising by Sony ( http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope/compare), DVD Architect Studio 5.0 does not support 5.1 audio of any kind. In order to author a blu-ray that includes 5.1 audio and any sort of menu features, you either need DVD Architect Pro or some other program entirely.

I'll report back on what Sony customer support has to say when I speak with them about this.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I see. I was wondering what version you had. There are no issues with this with Pro, but its good to know the limitation for Studio users. Again, I woulnd't call the Studio version useless. It's still good software. But it is definitely a limitation for your current project.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well there is a bright lining to the end of this rainbow. I am happy to report that I just got off the phone with Sony customer support and they upgraded me to Vegas Pro for free! The lady I spoke with was actually from this country, knowledgeable, and very helpful.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
Well there is a bright lining to the end of this rainbow. I am happy to report that I just got off the phone with Sony customer support and they upgraded me to Vegas Pro for free!
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

That's like a $500 upgrade!

Top Bottom