• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: 1st Edition

Dungeons and Dragons was a better movie than Eragon, but had crappy dragons. Eragon has a believable, if goofy looking, dragon... but a nonsensical story.

^_^

Yes, I said it... D&D was a better movie. This is why not having a decent edit of it is killing me.... heh. I've had to sit through Eragon twice, which is two times too many. (At least the D&D elves have ears!)

It's a tough call on which is better. Jeremy Irons' acting was a lot better in Eragon than D&D. Where Eragon tried a trimmed down and somewhat serious approach to the source material, D&D was outright goofy, but the characters were more likeable (though still flat in both films). If however you were to ask of the second D&D movie (curse of the dragon king or something) was better than Eragon, than I'd say 'yes' even though the special fx were worse than the first film.

Yeah, I think the second film was a 'made for cable' movie though.
Bruce Payne was the only returning cast member and apparently it was more geeky but less goofy.

Erm... watch the second one. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

No, seriously... it's actually good.

A) They pick up the story 300 years later or so, or is that 100... erm... it's awhile since the first movie.

B) The whole "Mages are elite" class sytem is gone... thankfully.

C) The dragons in this are fierce, full of teeth, and kick so much ass they make Eragon look like a student film.

D) The actors actually do a good job of representing their races and classes.

E) It's pleasantly quotable. In fact the banter between the actors pretty much makes the movie.

F) There's a REAL lich in this one. Not just a talking skele who disintigrates.

All in all, it's a made for TV movie... but it's actually a GOOD one. It got leaked out a long time back... under the workprint title Dungeons and Dragons: The Elemental Might, which was later retitled D&D: Wrath of the Dragon God.

Sadly, the only regret about the second film is that it didn't get a bigger budget, due to the first movie bombing so badly.

Hate to reiterate the obvious, yet again, but for the love of god... we're at 97.8 percent downloading this bugger. I really don't mind seeding it for the author, but it helps when there's a complete seed out there in the first place. ^_^

So, if anyone's got a full copy... please seed. I'm so close to finally being able to watch this thing that I can taste it... but it's maddening that after so many weeks of it sitting idle, that nobody has the remaining 2.2%.

sorry but scaperat is the only one with a full copy currently. A couple weeks ago he said he would send me a copy in the mail but i haven't seen anything yet. But hopefully someone will get a copy eventually.

not true, xtomo has a copy too.

Grin... it wouldn't be so bad if there were at least a single VOB that was complete for me to preview... as is, the rest of the files are done with the VOBs looking like swiss cheese.

At least now I know I'm not the only one hankering for a copy.

To me this one rules among the worst seeded torrents ever. But xtomo had the patience to keep to it. I could have sworn NO ONE finished the download.

Yeah, you'd think... but when I started downloading it was 8 people... who were full up. The other day I checked the peers, and there were 3 newbies trying to download it from scratch. The number of people I see is still 8... which means either 3 people gave up, or immediately booked it when they got the last bit.

I won't say it's the worst seeded torrent. It's definitely getting an honorable mention though. ^_^

Well, my months upon months of waiting finally yeilded results. Stuck at 97% for what felt like years, AD&D finally finished downloading yesterday...

Scaperat's retelling of the movie tones down a lot of the goofier moments, leading to what feels like a more serious movie. Gone are the council chambers, gone are the bits of Jeremy Irons acting the fool... gone are most of the Star Wars episode 1 -isms... gone are Damadar's over the top "Oh, please"es and "...I've cut her"'s. ^_^

It's kind of a tradeoff actually. ^_^ On the one hand, the movie is better... but you end up missing the silly bits that were formed of the greatest cinematic cheese.

The inclusion of the scroll interior was rather nice of a touch... even if the effects were never quite finished. It does indeed feel a bit like a 1st edition game with the silly looking cutout of a wraith hanging in midair.

All in all, a very enjoyable edit. The inclusion of the cut scenes reel was utter brilliance, as it reminds you of just how silly some of the lines in the movie were.

I'll be seeding the original torrent for awhile... so anyone who hasn't checked it out is welcome to do so.

If I can have his permission to do so, I may convert the movie and gag reel to AVI and put it up on Demonoid for those who don't have the bandwidth to handle a full DVD.

Anyone else finally finish their download? Or am I the only one tenacious enough to hang on for 6 months of 97.1% completion?

you are of course welcome to seed an avi of this. thanks for the review.

Heh... cool beans. It should be up within the day, if the encode goes well. I'll post a link as soon as I get it up and running.

wow 6 months god think i would of give up after a few weeks

but it is a SCAPERAT fanedit :D
get used to it. Still they are always worth the wait, it seems.

What's your opinion... using Fairuse to encode the AVI version...

I was considering using a lower resolution (560x320) and making the main movie 750 megs. This offers little degradation, but allows for a smaller download... especially with another 100 megs dedicated to the gag reel.

OR, I could up the resolution and size... making for a larger package with a more true representation of the DVD's quality.

So, in your opinion... what's more important for an AVI... watchability at a small size, or making it as true to the original as possible?

edit: Running through the first option now... since I'm a perfectionist I'm not anticipating liking the results. o_O May scrap using fairuse (edit 2) because it's a ruddy piece of crap that can't tell between telecined video and non. LOL. File size just jumped up to 850 megs for the low res version, but frame rate is at full again.

I don't know fairuse. I would use autoGK. It is freeware and produces great avi. Just fill in the size (700mb) and let autogk do the rest.

My opinion: the movie should look good and should be a 40/60 compromise between size and quality.

Yeah, decided to give Auto GK a try... encoding for a target 896 meg file, which should retain most of the quality of the original. The gag reel is lower res anyway, so I'll probably dedicate 50 megs to that with Fairuse and be done with it. Whole thing at under a gig is a pretty good deal.

The way I see it, there's not much point in downloading an AVI that isn't a decent representation of the original work anyway.

Hopefully I'll be pleased with Auto GK's quality. I get a little squeamish about programs I haven't used before. (Although speed wise, this thing is really great)

edit: I take it back. Speed's about on par with Fairuse... just got to the main encode.

edit2: Gah... this thing takes a fortnight. Still, if it can encode the movie without making it look like crap... it'll be worth it. Apparently it JUST started it's second pass. Much slower than Fairuse... which would have done the whole thing in the time it takes to watch the movie itself. If it wasn't for their funky resolution changes and compression warnings... I'd have used it instead.

Back
Top Bottom