• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Adobe Premiere - retain grain on export?

Agent Sam Stanley

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What's the best way to retain the film's grain when exporting on Adobe Premiere? All my exports have the picture looking kind of soft comparing to the original file. I'm exporting using H264 codec. And if possible I'd like to avoid ultra gigantic files.

Maybe try exporting ultra gigantic if that's what it takes to get it out of premiere with the look you want, and then using another program to create the smaller file? I use Premiere but I'm no export expert.

I'd think it's a low bitrate problem. Try H265 and push the bitrate a bit. H265 is more efficient than H264. (sorry if this is too late a post)

Premiere and all the other major editing programs don’t do a great job with H264 and H265. They are not designed to. Premiere can export to Cineform (in a MOV container). While this will be a large file size (over 100 GB for 2hr movie) it will be smaller than a comparable Prores codec and look better than Prores. And it will be a perfect master of your project. Then you can re-encode it to H264 or H265.

EDIT: Also some films have so much grain, especially older ones, in order to maintain the clarity of the grain you might end up with an H264 or H265 file larger than 10 or 20 GB. An option might be to do some DNR if a smaller final file size is important.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom