• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ADM's Dune: The Reconstructed Workprint

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

xeno_alpha_07

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a Dune Fan and i loved the original film. I've only ever seen the Alan Smithee version of the extended (which was poor). This was a real find.

I first watched this and feel in love with this edit, highly impressed indeed. I know certain scenes are poor quality but that dosen't bother me in the slightest. Overall the scenes are edited fantasic and the small snippets of repeated scenes was cut/removed fantasicly. This is defo a 10/10. Thanks man :D

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
another huge Dune fan here and i only have one word to sum up ADm efforts here and that is.

Perfection

video and audio editing is flawless, and i really do mean that.

i have been watching dune ever since i first saw it as a kid of 11 or so. i have to give this edit the ultimate accolade of replacing ALL my copies of Dune that i own.

i have actually thrown away my special edition DVD as this is by far the best version available. period.

plus this edit also introduced me to fanedit.org and inspired me to create my first edit as well so it will always have a special place in my heart.

gcreed

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a great work. The quality of the reintegration of the new scenes is really fantastic because you can SEE when it is a new scene but it SOUND like the rest of the movie (at least on stereo because I don't have 5.1 or anything more than TV).
I noticed 2 very very very little moments that are not in this extented cut.

At the arrival of the Guilde's Navigator, we no longer see the Emperer losing is cape (present in movie edit but not in tv edit).

When Paul is fighting the droid, Gurney is saying something about the influence of Jessica in his trainning (present in tv edit but not in the movie edit).

I just wanted to know if there was a reason for those 2 very very very little omissions.

I really start to like this world of fan edit. Bravo.

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
because he was working from an early draft of lynchs script i would assume.

considering the screentime you're talking about was a few seconds at best for both bits he may have just missed them.

for me at least the bottom line answer is who cares, he has done such a wonderful job in saving one of my most favourite films missing a couple of seconds of inconsequential dialogue is not something im bothered about.

LeoneNut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ADM's Dune edit is fantastic.
I noticed that one of the deleted scenes with the Fremen elders talking to Paul before he gives his speech in the big hall was missing too. Though I think Raffaella De Laurentiis talks over part of it.
Other snippets of the alternative water of life scene aren't included, but shouldn't be anyway.

The TV edit uses alternate shots in many cases during some scenes and ADM seems to have gone with the TV version in the taking off the cape shot. The shot of the Navigator's mouth is 2 seconds longer in the theatrical cut, but in the TV edit we get a POV shot from the Navigator looking at the Emperor instead, for example.

This isn't authorative as it misses some shots here and there but there are good lists with pictures here:

Seeing what the TV version has different: http://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=1380
Seeing what the Theatrical Cut has different: http://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=1382

Taolar

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last night I threw my annual movie marathon on a huge home projection theatre system. ADM's Dune was the second edit shown. To serve as a review here's an excerpt from my account of that night.

"I'm sorry to report that most people, including myself, were disappointed. There were definitely some intriguing moments, especially almost any scene with a Harkonnen or Gesserit. But most of the movie just didn't seem to stand the test of time. A lot of the acting was wooden and cliche'd. The sets were not grand enough, and the photography was uninspired. And the lower quality scenes didn't seem to add any interesting moments for most of us. Though the two viewers who had seen the original film agreed that this edit was an improvement. The only person who truly enjoyed this show was one who had read the original novel, so that may be a prerequisite. The rest of us were at times lost, and more often bored. There might be a more enjoyable (at least to non-dune fans) 90 minute version waiting to be made out there. But the editor would have to be both brutal and thoughtful at the same time. Maybe such a short version wouldn't make much sense, but I think there are worthy scenes in this movie. It's too bad we have to wade through so much blandness to see them."

In summary, although ADM is obviously one of our most skilled editors, if you haven't read and enjoyed the original books, my bet is this edit won't be that entertaining to you.

-T

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dont forget the original theatrical run was a total flop..

most people did not like this film in the slightest, the only people that are likely to enjoy this version (or any version really) are hardcore fans.

as you said in your review, the only person who seemed to enjoy this more was the guy who had read the novels. this is what i would expect.

Dune is not a movie that just 'anyone' can watch and an extended version that must go doubly for so.

also if you are a fan of the book the deleted scenes are VERY important, the first time i watched it and saw the Scene Between Jessica and Mapes where she offers to sacrifice herself with a Crys Knife and the knife fight between Paul and Jamis literally had me tearing up.

every single Dune fan i have shown ADM's version to has been so grateful you would not believe it.

Taolar

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good points. Let me add that the Dune fan that was in the audience REALLY enjoyed this.

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i gave this edit 4 stars... it is a really really good edit.. and he did some fantastic things i didn't expect.... but i was quite disappointed that he left out the scene towards the end where thufir hawat dies.... that was the most powerful deleted scene of all to me... and i was really confused as to why it wasn't in the edit....

also i was one of the few people who didn't hate the prologue in the alan smithee version, and was hoping he might find a way to cut up the prologue to get rid of the stupid redundancy.... so that it might provide a little extra info at the beginning... but of course he cut the whole thing....

i didn't mark off for this, this is just my thought, but i also think this film could have used an "overture" sequence in the beginning... maybe take some Dune paintings from over the years.. and have them panning and fading from one to another while the overture plays (taken from the soundtrack disc)....

but still, not putting in the most powerful deleted scene was the biggest problem with this edit for me.... don't know why it wasn't there.. but still, 4 out of 5. well done, ADM.

EDIT: oh, and i'm one of the few people who really likes the original david lynch version of dune, overall.... when i look at what the book is, and how complex it is... i don't think a version this short could really be made any better than this one was.... and yes, i do like the extended version, though they screwed it up pretty bad... and yes, i like ADM's version even better than either of them...

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lewis886 said:
i gave this edit 4 stars... it is a really really good edit.. and he did some fantastic things i didn't expect.... but i was quite disappointed that he left out the scene towards the end where thufir hawat dies.... that was the most powerful deleted scene of all to me... and i was really confused as to why it wasn't in the edit....

indeed, i was very disappointed that scene wasn't in there as well, i may rectify this in the near future as long as ADM is happy with me doing it.

Taolar

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Correction: Another person from the party said they enjoyed Dune. They just didn't speak up at the time. I just got an email from her asking for a copy.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sounds like Dune is turning out to be the sleeper hit of the night lol

Taolar

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And she hadn't even read the books! She had seen Dune twice before, and didn't get really get it. This time she felt like she understood everything, and really enjoyed it. So ADM has at least one confirmed convert. :)

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
*Best South Park Cop Voice*

Nice!

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a massive improvement over both theatrical and extended cuts. Still, it's really not a very good movie. David Lynch is completely out of his element here, directing preachy science fiction monologues is quite simply not his style at all. His style is always best when it's intimate.

I've seen the theatrical cut twice before, and it never made any sense to me. Characters enter and leave at seemingly random moments. Somehow this edit made sense. Plotlines like the Dr. Yueh story felt complete now, and the housekeeper was much more interesting.

Storytelling:
3 (up from 1 1/2)

Editing:

The editing would have got a 5 if ADM had coloured the eyes correctly in all the reinserted deleted scenes. I've read that another edit does this, but I haven't seen that one.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The editing would have got a 5 if ADM had coloured the eyes correctly in all the reinserted deleted scenes. I've read that another edit does this, but I haven't seen that one.

That's a bit unfair. Did ADM not already state that he decided not to add in the eye colour as he was 'over his head'? Also, adding colour is not really an editing issue - it's an FX issue :wink:

The other edit you refer to is not an extended edit like this one I believe. ADM's edit restored the film to greatness for me.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I'd say 4 is pretty good! :)

Actually, I wouldn't have objected if he'd coloured NONE of the eyes. The fact that SOME are coloured but that the whole plan was given up on is actually worse than not doing anything at all, the way I see it.

I thought the other one was around the 180 minute mark and based on Lynch's shooting script too? Maybe I misread.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ok, FIRST - you should rate these edits in the context in which they were released. when ADM's edit came out only fanfiltration had done a dune edit and it was desperately in need of an upgrade (and his was a 5/5 then, btw).

second - each edit sets out to accomplish something different...

if you like the male narration and prologue, choose spicediver's version. if you like the original femaie narration (and no prologue) choose mitch's version (or ADM's version). if you are really keen on seeing this in pan & scan, see fanfiltration's version.

both ADM's and fanfiltration's edits are fantastic, but now have been upgraded (again).

i feel lucky to have so many options! thanks guys!

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well said Joe, yeah Dune The Third Stage Edition really knocked the ball outta the park!

Top Bottom