• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ADM's Dune: The Reconstructed Workprint

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
well said Joe, yeah Dune The Third Stage Edition really knocked the ball outta the park!

I may have to check this out - I went for ADM as it was 178 mins, Third stage is 177. ADM's is a workprint though. Be nice to compare.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the rundown on the differences, Joebshmoe. Since I'm very much a fanedit noob, I didn't know the order in which they were released. But still, I consider 4 good! ADM pretty much saved the film for me. I also wrote that in my mini-review.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
my understanding is that mitch's version is a direct upgrade from ADM's "workprint" but i could be wrong. i'm waiting to get DL media to watch mitch's version (which will be soon!).

there is a discrepancy of 1 minute so i'll try to figure out what that is (if anything...)

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Which is Mitch's version? Is that the 'Third Stage' one?

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I think to myself - I'll just do a quick compare - and I find my ADM cut is corrupted and won't play at all. Disk not even recognised. D'OH! :evil:

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This seems to have vanished from RS?

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
just grab The Third Stage edit in the meantime. its just as enjoyable.

if you REALLY need ADM's version PM me if links cant be found.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
links are up on linktalk.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK - they both seem to run at 2hrs 57 mins according to KMPlayer.

ADM's has the complete opening with Irulan's extra dialogue, Third Stage has the original Irulan opening with the extended version placed under the 'deleted scenes' section of the DVD(enhanced as well, so you can't see the transitions as you can in the ADM version).

I only watched the first few scenes and they pretty much ran identical, except you see Shaddam drop his cloak in the Third Stage edition. The colour in the Third Stage is a little warmer as well.

Will have to do a complete watch.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
lewis886 said:
i gave this edit 4 stars... it is a really really good edit.. and he did some fantastic things i didn't expect.... but i was quite disappointed that he left out the scene towards the end where thufir hawat dies.... that was the most powerful deleted scene of all to me... and i was really confused as to why it wasn't in the edit....

indeed, i was very disappointed that scene wasn't in there as well, i may rectify this in the near future as long as ADM is happy with me doing it.

Huh? I could have sworn I saw that scene in the ADM version....?

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
dont forget the original theatrical run was a total flop..

most people did not like this film in the slightest, the only people that are likely to enjoy this version (or any version really) are hardcore fans.

as you said in your review, the only person who seemed to enjoy this more was the guy who had read the novels. this is what i would expect.

Dune is not a movie that just 'anyone' can watch and an extended version that must go doubly for so.

I have never read the books (although I have been recommended them on multiple occasions) and I enjoy DUNE. the odd thing is, I don't know why I enjoy it. :wat:
It is confusing, overlong and just plain weird. I blame my immense love of science fiction and a love/hate relationship with David Lynch. Couple in my interest of any film that had major studio interference and you get an oddball like me who own's and has seen films like DUNE many times over.

I just acquired ADM's version 2 days ago and haven't watched it yet but I am sure to appreciate it, if not thoroughly enjoy it. and I'll be sure to look into 'the third stage edition' in the future as well.

I will be sending a copy of this to my good friend who is a Frank Herbert fan and counts the DUNE series among his favorite books.

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Which fanedit of Dune is generally considered to be the best?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ripplin said:
Which fanedit of Dune is generally considered to be the best?

I have only seen Third Stage addition, but I did read the descriptions of all the edits thoroughly, before I decided which came closest to what I wanted from a Dune edit. While' I'm sure all three are great, the Third Stage did seem to be the most extensive and technically polished edit, with widescreen, surround sound, rotoscoping of the fremen eyes to blue, digital cleaning and a re-ordering of the sequence of edits. I don't think you'll be disappointed whichever you choose, but the Third Stage edition really did blow me away.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
seconded, the third stage edit is marvellous.

Sluggo

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Um, thirded. Third Stage is a centerpiece of my meager FE collection. The thing is great.

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey, thanks for the bump, Sluggo. I forgot about this. I should grab it soon before I forget again! :)

Top Bottom