• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ADigitalMan's Guide to MPEG2/AC3 Editing

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
it's the 524$ one, baby... all the way. You can of course edit with the other 2 too, BUT the qulaity difference willeb significant. BUT you might get along quite well with this:
Amazon has it for 400$ though: link
also you can check for sony vegas 6 on ebay, which might be way cheaper, but still is a great program.

Zinn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dr Death said:
But from my meagre understanding am i right in thinking that's mainly for sorting out the music streams? I'm certainly willing to purchase some software considering how strong the pound (i'm in the UK) is at the moment- womble should only cost me about ?35.

Vegas is full-feature -- video, sound, effects, the whole enchilada. I'm kind of a fan of it, but I got mine used for cheap & can't weigh the value/cost. It's also kind of a system resource hog - great on my desktop but too sluggish on my laptop...

Also, I found the encoding/output to be very time-consuming compared to some other programs...

WOMBLE is very nice, and you might reconsider it. I gravitated to VEGAS only because I like the multiple audio/video streams and found it very easy to do the transitions. Also I needed to mix & output 5.1 audio...

Dr Death

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So you can get away with just womble? That would be nice, being the difference of ?280. I'm not too bothered by having too many frills (though i do have a couple of places where i plan to tweak a piece of vocal music for it to sound a bit less 'raw'- i havnt a clue how difficult that will be). At the moment though my knowledge of editing consists of ADM's guide and assuming nothing so apologies for any dense questions i may ask.

Currently i've downloaded the programmes from the following links:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Gordian_Knot
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD_Decrypter
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?toolsearch=Hypercube+Transcoder

Any problems with the above (Have i downloaded the wrong thing/s basically)? I'm going to download Px3Convert from the following link as well http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/showsoftware_ac3towav_28.html

Again thanks for all the help you're giving me- it must be a task trying to educate someone so ignorant so your patience is greatly appreciated :).

Dr Death

Sober

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Im not sure if im following the guide correctly but what I do is:

1) Extrat M2V file using DVD Decryptor
2) Correct the streams using Womble
3) Convert the M2V File into an AVI file using TMPGENC

I do this with the AVI because my editing package will not allow me to edit the raw files. So Im converting it to AVI using the HUFFYUV lossless codec. Granted the files will be large but its a small price to pay.

But what settings to use? Well, after using DGIndex to see what format the original source is, it says the following:

"Progressive"
23.976FPS"

So by that reckoning, do I have to save the AVI with these settings? and then when I come to export it back to the dvd mpeg format I use the 3:2 pull down marker.

ManOfSteel2009

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok ADigitalMan. I just got finished trying to understand your guide but im officially screwed. I did everything your guide asks me up to after I had edited my movie, got everything the way I wanted it. I exported it, then I burned it using Nerovision express SE. & I have to say the quality is flawless. Finally the perfect DVD quality I wanted from the get go. However I have no sound. I have sound when I play it on the computer but when I play it on the DVD player I get ziltch. I know I didn't follow your guide all the way through so it's my fault for not doing as the instructions told me but after the editing part I was completley lost. I had no idea what you were talking about & so what I did was what the first 4 steps told me to do. I did the first step without a problem. I did the second step without a problem also. The third step I didn't do co's it wasn't required. All my formats & Ratio seetings for my edit was the same as one another. Step 4 was where I started scratching my noggin. I put my movie together fine & the audio also, then I exported my project, looked over the final product, was happy with what I got, saw that it could easily be burned with nero, so instead of trying to figure out what the other steps were I just burned it with nero & now I have perfect picture but no sound. I have spent weeks trying to figure this out but all I get rewarded with is a damn headache. Please point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated & thankyou for putting up the guide to begin with. I couldn't have gotten this far without it. :)

Steve

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
did you use dts sound or stick to ac-3?

TeresofBlood

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a question....

Is the video procured by using PGCDemux interlaced, or native to the DVD?

Here's the process. DVD Decrypter -> PGCDemx -> Imago... I did not use an actual chunk of the movie - I used a trailer on the disc as a fast trial. It looks incredibly interlaced. Is this normal because it is the trailer and not part of the DVD or does the entire film get reinterlaced as well?

If so, is there an independent software needed to convert back to progressive, before editing.

ALSO: Does PGC Demux convert movies to 30fps, instead of the native 24? Cinematize retains the 24 fps footage, but it seems that PGC does not. Is there some way to adjust this, or a piece of software to convert it back to 24p?

ManOfSteel2009

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
did you use dts sound or stick to ac-3?

To be completely honest boon23, im not 100% on that. All I did was follow the instructions as was told by ADigitalMan right up to step 4, so I just assumed I ws using the right audio. Is it possible that either you or ADigitalman could just write a very small sentence on how to get AC3 audio in DVD Decryptor?. I know it's already written on the guide but I mucked it up once already & I want to make sure this time that I get it right. Thankyou for taking the time.

Steve :)

ManOfSteel2009

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
it's ok now Boon 23 I just figured out where I went wrong. when I was doing the audio I was clicking on direct stream copy instead of demux. Like ADigitalMan said, it's all trial & error & you learn from them so....Thanks for replying anyway Boon 23, even though we kinda got off on the wrong foot. Much appreciated.

Peace :)

Steve

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:) To quote a "friend":
It's all just water under the bridge.

I am good.

axiaeuxine

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay so I downloaded Power DVD, Decrpyter and PGCDemux, I was usinmg the tutaorial above to rip a trailer from a dvd, Id thought Id start small before getting into editing films. I was able to find the correct trailer and rip onto my harddrive the first time. However, I want to convert the vob/ifo file into something that can be edited, like an mpg file. So I loaded up PgcDemux and pointed it to the correct file which is VIDEO_TS\VTS_06_0.IFO, however it tells me its unable to open VIDEO_TS\VTS_06_2118235989.IFO, the whole trailer is there complete with sound so what am I doing wrong?

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When using DVD Decrypter, go into the "Stream Processing" tab when you have the component you want selected, click on the individual stream you want (IE video) and click "Demux" on on the bottom. It will be ripped to an M2V file, which can be edited in Womble.

Just out of curiosity, what program are you planning on using for editing?

axiaeuxine

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hadnt gotten that far yet, as this is my first foray into editing I was taking this at a step-by-step basis. What do you recomend?

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally, I reccommend Womble for begginers, but then again it really depends on what you plan on doing. Go into the chat room, and we can talk there.

Psyklax

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ADigitalMan said:
Be sure you have plenty of RAM and a large hard drive with a good 40 MB free.

Uh, 40 MB? I think you might have made a typo there, chief. :grin:

Otherwise, good guide, useful for most people's needs, including mine.

StormTrooper

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Im about to have a stab at doing an edit and just want to clarify the procedure...is this basically it?

1 strip the dvd's of the necessary parts of the movies i need to make my edit.

2 split movie from sound

3 correct any errors

4 edit mpeg parts in womble into one edited movie

5 create dvd

is that the basics?

cheers

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I fyou work with womble you can rip the DVD to vobs and start editing right ahead. however, you might need extracted audio to fill the gaps for audio tranistions.
This is the basic way and it can produce a very good result.

StormTrooper

Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
I fyou work with womble you can rip the DVD to vobs and start editing right ahead. however, you might need extracted audio to fill the gaps for audio tranistions.
This is the basic way and it can produce a very good result.

Really? even better then. Audio transitions? you lost me there Boon. Remember this is my first ever attempt at this :???:

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
when you make cuts you will also cut the audio. These need to be fixed with transitions (small pieces of sound and music, so everything floats into the next scene.

Top Bottom