• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ADigitalMan's Guide to MPEG2/AC3 Editing

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ADigitalMan said:
* Verify the results by loading them into a new project. Many times Womble will drop a frame or add a frame. This sometimes causes the audio to drift out of sync. Re-check your original project, remove any frames if necessary, and re-export.
This is a pretty terrifying paragraph. ADM means that frames can be added or dropped to the exported file? How does one find such extra frames if one's only got one video and one new audio track? :oops:

Also, I take it that this thread means that xvids are most easily created from exported dvd files, not Womble-exported mpeg-2s? :)

ADigitalMan said:
Under the "General" tab, ensure that the video and audio streams are separated and not multiplexed. This will export separate streams.
I assume that this step is to allow for two separate tracks (viz., a movie track and a commentary track)? If one is only making one audio track, is there still a clear advantage to splitting the streams?

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ ... inquiring minds want to know! Thanks in advance for your time. :)

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You can add more than one video clip to the video section on the timeline, edit them together and export them as one file can't you? Same for the audio?

It looks as if I'll have to edit in Womble after all and try to get round the problem of popping in the audio. Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Is there a way of making the screen go black for a few seconds between one clip and another? Can you just leave a gap in the timeline or does the program not like this?

Moreover, when ADM says that if you add FX it will recompress when you export, does that mean the whole of each video clip on either side of the transition, or just the area immediately surrounding the FX? Because the former wouldn't be too bad, but the latter would be something of a drawback.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
You can add more than one video clip to the video section on the timeline, edit them together and export them as one file can't you? Same for the audio?
Of course. :wink:
Captain Khajiit said:
It looks as if I'll have to edit in Womble after all and try to get round the problem of popping in the audio. Thanks for any help!
We're here for ya! And as long as you observe the minimum .10-second fade, there shouldn't be any pops.
Captain Khajiit said:
EDIT: Is there a way of making the screen go black for a few seconds between one clip and another? Can you just leave a gap in the timeline or does the program not like this?
The program likes this fine, but I was able to notice the difference between black black and nothing black on a hi-def tv, so you may want to import an all-black jpeg (just drag and drop), and let that fill in the gaps. That's what I do, at any rate. :)
Captain Khajiit said:
Moreover, when ADM says that if you add FX it will recompress when you export, does that mean the whole of each video clip on either side of the transition, or just the area immediately surrounding the FX? Because the former wouldn't be too bad, but the latter would be something of a drawback.
Recompression only affects transitions and filtered clips. Womble's recompression does result in a noticeable quality hit (though not, as far as I can tell, visual fades to or from black), but as long as you only use one or two here and there, you may be able to overlook this. If not, there are alternative programs, but I haven't had the guts myself to try them out.

Hope this helps! :)

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It certainly does help, Gaith! Thank you very much! :)

For the 0.10 second fade, is it for audio out and in, or just out?

I know what you mean about the other tools. I keep trying to make an AVI for Sony Vegas that doesn't shrink on export. I tried it but the resulting movie was like looking through a letterbox. Very strange! I'm hoping Boon's new guide will help, when it's done.

EDIT: Don't worry. I just looked at Boon's reply in the other thread. 0.1 seconds fade in and out. It's just a shame it's necessary, as I can really hear it, and it sounds much better in the preview without it. :( Maybe I could get away with less, or export a copy of the final product with and without fades and see if I get lucky.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The trick is to overlap the audio across channels. Even when editing within a scene, there's almost always a small pause before the next line. Take as much of the pause as you can, overlap that with the next audio clip, and you're generally able to apply the .1 fades without creating that weird sound gap. It may not work every time, but it usually does. :)

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
The trick is to overlap the audio across channels. Even when editing within a scene, there's almost always a small pause before the next line. Take as much of the pause as you can, overlap that with the next audio clip, and you're generally able to apply the .1 fades without creating that weird sound gap. It may not work every time, but it usually does. :)

Can you explain what you mean by overlap across channels? Because in Womble I can only see the audio files for the surround sound that I place underneath each of the video files. I push them together as far as they can go, as ADM says, but I cannot seem to make them overlap. Or are you talking about editing the sound in another program? :???:

I really wish I wasn't such a newbie at this. To be honest I can't believe how the editors on this board manage the audio so well. There always seems to be music in the background, which obviously skips noticeably when I edit and cuts across scenes in films. I don't know how they do it, unless they somehow extract the voices and rebuild the sound from scratch.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You can put audio in at least three of the channels below the video channel. :wink:

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
You can put audio in at least three of the channels below the video channel. :wink:

Ah! Got you! It sounds much better. Thanks - again! :oops:

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:

Actually - only two. One is for text isn't it?

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's indeed what the symbol implies, but I've definitely stacked three audio tracks without incident.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmmm, that's interesting to know - not tried it myself(never thought I could use it) - but there has been occasion where I've needed more than two. Will give that a try.....

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, it does work. I found out by accident yesterday that I could have three audio channels. Not that I need them, but it's always nice to have another option. :smile:

EDIT: Actually when I burned my DVD yesterday I had blank audio on the places where I'd put audio on the title track. The audio came back as soon as I moved it to the track at the bottom. It might be possible to export the streams and burn with another program, but Womble's DVD maker doesn't seem to like it. :roll:

Phantom Stranger

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
EDIT: Actually when I burned my DVD yesterday I had blank audio on the places where I'd put audio on the title track. The audio came back as soon as I moved it to the track at the bottom. It might be possible to export the streams and burn with another program, but Womble's DVD maker doesn't seem to like it. :roll:

I've experienced the same problem but I think it's a bug in Womble. You should be able to burn a DVD with 3 audio tracks in addition to the audio coming from the .mpg file. In my experience, Womble seems to have the most difficulty with .wav files. But I bet most people use .mp3 anyways.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lst00 said:
I've experienced the same problem but I think it's a bug in Womble. You should be able to burn a DVD with 3 audio tracks in addition to the audio coming from the .mpg file. In my experience, Womble seems to have the most difficulty with .wav files. But I bet most people use .mp3 anyways.

Lol thanks for helping, but that's a pretty old post. :) The blank audio is only where the audio is in the title line, and - correct - this only happens in Womble's DVD maker. You can put in three audio tracks without incident and use any other DVD making software without the blanks in the audio.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mp3's in DVD audio? i dont think so,they use ac3 and DTS.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry to be lazy (Lazy Frink, was Lazy) but I'm just going to ask this question and hope it wasn't already asked on one of the preceding nine pages.

I'm trying to use hypercube to split my audio into 6 mono channels per ADM's guide. When I try to select input, the program looks for ac3 files. All I have are the vob files, which I can input if I try hard enough but not sure that's what I'm supposed to do. I'm not seeing any way to extract ac3 files out of the vob files using Womble. Do I need a different program for that or am I just missing something.

Thanks.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you are just missing something.
And, yes, this question has been asked numerous times of course, because vob is what you get from DVD ripping.
To get the video and audio files of a DVD you have to go one step further. A program like pgcdemux will allow you to split the vobs into m2v and ac3 for example.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Boon is correct, Frink. This is Step 1 of ADM's guide! The guide is quite old though and few people still use DVD Decrypter, because it is an old program that doesn't handle modern copy protection well. A more common workflow is now:

1. Rip with DVD Fab (free version is fine);
  2. Extract your video and audio with a program such as PGCDemux.
The old DVD Decrypter did both steps together, which was nice, but the program has really had its day, in my opinion.

Top Bottom