• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ADigitalMan's Guide to MPEG2/AC3 Editing

StormTrooper

Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
when you make cuts you will also cut the audio. These need to be fixed with transitions (small pieces of sound and music, so everything floats into the next scene.

I see what you mean...mmm this is going to be a long journey. If you think of any other good tips please let me know.

Cheers

LinkTGF

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a question:

I've ripped my video and audio with his dvd decrypter method and now I have demuxed audio and video in ac3 and MPEG format

I can't open the MPEG video in vegas movie studio platinum 8, claiming it can't "none of the file dropped into vegas can be opened"

does my version of vegas not have MPEG support? if so how can i circumvent this?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
try to mux it with imago mpeg muxer. Lots of editors can't handle m2v or mpv files (video with no audio track).

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LinkTGF said:
I have a question:

I've ripped my video and audio with his dvd decrypter method and now I have demuxed audio and video in ac3 and MPEG format

I can't open the MPEG video in vegas movie studio platinum 8, claiming it can't "none of the file dropped into vegas can be opened"

does my version of vegas not have MPEG support? if so how can i circumvent this?

it shud mine does

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have Vegas 7, and it cannot handle .M2V separately. As boon said, you need to mux it back into a .MPG file.

As a word of caution, Vegas 7 didnt handle .MPG files all that well. Lots of stuttering in the output. I have been coverting to a high-quality AVI file and frameserving that into Vegas. The result is much better. However, I am not sure if the .MPG stuttering issue has been resolved in Vegas 8. Its worth a shot anyway.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, I always do that whenever I edit anything. I convert it into DivX or XviD and change the FourCC code using a hex editor.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was changing the FourCC, but I was getting some blank frames in Vegas (many others were too). Frameserving into Vegas fixes that problem, and you dont have to change the header

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If it's related to this guide, I suggest editing the video in Womble and using Hypercube Transcoder to split the AC3 into six wav files before editing it in Vegas.

LinkTGF

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ADigitalMan said:
If it's related to this guide, I suggest editing the video in Womble and using Hypercube Transcoder to split the AC3 into six wav files before editing it in Vegas.
I'm not a big fan of editing in womble - I'm more accustomed to editing in Vegas

The source I'm using is either mono or stereo audio (old chopsocky flick) so I don't really need 6 channels of sound. Imago is muxing it together for me nicely :)

Just a quick question, if I hadn't chosen "demux" when ripping in dvd decrypter would I have been able to edit it then in vegas?

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Understood, though this thread is all about the Womble method.

LinkTGF

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ADigitalMan said:
Understood, though this thread is all about the Womble method.

maybe that's where I went wrong - I was using the video/audio extract method on here to use those files to edit in vegas. It all makes sense now. Sry about that ADM :(

Anyways, remuxing the video seemed to work and vegas is taking it :D

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
one small thing regarding this guide. the bit about resizing to PAL is incorrect. highlighted in bold/italics

Assuming you're editing NTSC and not PAL:
* Change the cropping command to read: crop(0,60,720,360). This will remove 60 pixels from the top and from the bottom. (PAL should be (0,38,720,404)
* Change the resizing command to read: LanczosResize(720,480). This will stretch the image to anamorphic proportions.
* Uncomment the line: Undot()
* Save the file

caused me no end of grief with my first edit.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
*punches LinkTGF*

Not everybody is American around here, y'know :p

Scrag85

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi, great guide but i was wondering, wouldn't smartripper be better than dvd decrypter?

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Updated the sections on 4:3->16:9 video and on 2.0->5.1 Audio

YunaFire

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For some reason, my end result video has weird popping noises. I don't mean around the cuts, just in general they can be heard when there's dialog. My audio is all of the same source - stereo 2.0 - so it's not that.

I'm editing in Womble, exporting as seperate files (ac3 and mpeg) then joining them in TMPGenc. Even when I save the movie file as a joined video/audio, I get the weird noises. Yet when viewing/editing in Womble, they can't be heard. So...I'm supposing it's the exporting that's the issue. Just don't know where the trouble is. -_-

Top Bottom