• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ADigitalMan's Guide to MPEG2/AC3 Editing

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Videohelp may have ways of doing color correction in the script, so the MPG you output will look great.

Womble shouldn't be used as an encoder, but it you have to, be sure that when you export the video the quality is maximum. Any segments that get recoded will be better that way. I've only recently started creating the clips elsewhere and then importing them back into womble. The results are certainly better, but I've done a number of small clips (usually only a shot or two) in Womble over the years that are acceptable if the quality is maxed.

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another problem (the problem I was having before was that I wasn't changing the AR to 16X9 in TMPGEnc). Anyway, new problem: The inverse telecine plug-in is not working. I am converting select clips of Star Wars (from the LE) to Anamorphic, but no matter what I do it's turning out interlaced. Ideas?

Edit: It doesn't really matter, I realized that I can't do subtitles right now, so I am dropping the project for now. The compression was a problem, anyway.

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
does anyone know if there is a way, using DVD Decrypter.... to simply end up with MPG's at the end of it instead of m2v files or whatever? if you don't select "de-mux" will it simply give you an MPG file instead of a separated file?

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
click on mode then file f

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
could you please be a bit more wordy and descriptive in that explanation? i'm not very familiar with DVD Descryptor. thank you :)

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
at the top it will say....

file edit view mode

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well, that got me a .vob.....not an mpg.

is there something i'm missing?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As far as I know Decrypter cannot mux, so you will always get m2v and audio files seperated. the reason for this is quite simple: mulitple audio tracks possibility. MPG files cannot be multilingual. But since most DVDs contain more audio tracks than one, how woudl decrypter know, which oen to pick to mux it. Muxing is no problem whatever. Use Imago mpg muxer for ac-3/m2v muxing and tmpgenc or tmgxpress for wav/m2v.
Use headac3he to convert ac-3 to wav if you want to.
Womble can handle working with entire vobs, so it might not be necessary to demux to m2v/audio.

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
anyone have anytips for step 6? Hypercube Transcoder threw off the sync by stretching every wav it output for me from ac3 by 6 seconds :/ and vegas wont open the video file i have so i have no visual referance to fix it with :/

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've never heard of Hypercube stretching a file like that before. It should be a digital wav direct from each track in the AC3 file.

Did the WAVs get stretched by Vegas? You can certainly use Vegas to squeeze the file, but it is more likely that the video and audio file went out of sync in Womble than anything.

Strange indeed.

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ugg, just looked at the files and they do seem to be stretched by vegas :/ so i guess ill just try to figure out what i did wrong :smile:

thanks

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you press control while trying to crop a sound file in Vegas you will stretch/squeeze it instead of cropping. The visual indicator of this function is that the cursor turns into a squiggly line. You can always delete the tracks and then re-import them cleanly. Any edits will have to be performed again, but chalk it up to a learning experience. I've certainly had my share of them. :)

Dr Death

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi there. I'm a complete novice at fan-editing but i've been planning a bit of a personal project to re-edit the latter two Lord of the Rings films. Having looked on Videohelp for all the programmes, while many are freeware, TMPGEnc Encoder, Womble, Vegas and DVD-Lab come to a not insignificant fee of $920 (i couldnt actually find Px3Convert but that may add to it). Considering i am only really interested for a couple of jobs, is there any way round purchasing those programmes? I havnt actually looked into the trial periods yet but i was just wondering what i could 'get away with' as it were.

Apologies for the decidedly newbie-ish question but to be honest most of the how-to went over my head so im in no state of knowledge to judge what is and isnt essential for myself (i'll pick it up :p )

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dr Death

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It totally depends on what you want to do, but there is always a freeware possibility. Tmpgenc for example is freeware.
Problem about freeware solutions is that they are probably less varialble and more complicated.

twistd101

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any high-end software is going to run you a pretty penny. Most come with trial periods of (usually) 30 days, sometimes less, sometimes a lot more. I mean, they better have a try-before-you-buy option when some of this can run you $500 a piece, easily. Look around for some free trials, usually found on the products page of the developer's site.

Dr Death

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, Vegas was the killer: $500 according to videohelp. But from my meagre understanding am i right in thinking that's mainly for sorting out the music streams? I'm certainly willing to purchase some software considering how strong the pound (i'm in the UK) is at the moment- womble should only cost me about ?35.

Variability isnt a great problem as far as i'm concerned- obviously these starting edits are always going to be a little rough round the edges and most of the edits i have planned are farly simple 'snip snip' jobs (possibly removing the vocals from certain moments and such like) so while i may be niave (i dont have the knowledge to be anything but i'm afraid) i'm not looking to do anything too complex.

If you need to know specifics to nail down what exactly i need, i've done a lot of preporatory work detailing what exact edits i have in mind which i could post (or PM) to anyone who it would help in figuring out what programmes i would require to acheive them.

Thanks for your help.

Dr Death

Dr Death

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Right, having looked into it, it's become quite apparent that 'going freebie' isnt an option so i'm girding my creditcard for a monetary onslaught. I have come across one significant problem though- Vegas: which of the three on their website http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/vegasfamily.asp do i need? (i'm hoping and praying it's not the $524 one).

With regards

Dr Death

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Check out the trial editions first and determine which is best for you. I'm actually still using Vegas 5. Perhaps you can find an older version like that available for far less than a new license.

The Platinum edition may be sufficient for your needs though.

Top Bottom