• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Addressing Compression Artifacts in Dark Colors

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was wondering if anybody has any insights into how to minimize compression artifacts in dark colors.

I can't help but think that there must be some way of telling software, "Hey, I want to compress this video image from 25 gigs to 5, but I want most of those 5 gigs to be spent on gradients in the dark color spectrum."

Does anybody know of anything that works like this?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Please be more specific about your workflow. There are a lot of factors to consider, not just the final file size.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ Blocking artifacts in dark areas are a result of insufficient bitrate (in other words, compressing your source too heavily).  There are ways to do what you are asking, but the real solution is to re-evaluate what you have set out to achieve.  What's so special about 5GB?  If you want a file that doesn't need to be burnt to disc (and I guess that you do), use CRF encoding and forget about hitting a particular file-size  For x264, encode a sample with a CRF of 23.  If you don't like the result, reduce the value by 1 until you do; then use that value for all your encodings.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
^^ Blocking artifacts in dark areas are a result of insufficient bitrate (in other words, compressing your source too heavily).  There are ways to do what you are asking, but the real solution is to re-evaluate what you have set out to achieve.  What's so special about 5GB?  If you want a file that doesn't need to be burnt to disc (and I guess that you do), use CRF encoding and forget about hitting a particular file-size  For x264, encode a sample with a CRF of 23.  If you don't like the result, reduce the value by 1 until you do; then use that value for all your encodings.

To be clear, what you're describing is simply adjusting the bit rate, correct?  I understand that a higher bit rate would decrease compression artifacts in the blacks.  What I'm trying to see is if anybody knew of way to compress a file, from a 25 - 30Mbs rate down to something like 5-8Mbs while still minimizing the blacks from getting the obvious compression artifacts.  I understand that this may not be possible, but I just wanted to ask a stupid question, just in case.

I'm not working on anything in particular at the moment that concerns this.  I just had the realization the other day that I cannot watch anything streaming that is heavy in the darker palette because it looks awful, despite my high speed internet connection.  It just got me thinking about those damn compression artifacts to see if anybody had a workaround of which I was unaware.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
beezo said:
I can't help but think that there must be some way of telling software, "Hey, I want to compress this video image from 25 gigs to 5, but I want most of those 5 gigs to be spent on gradients in the dark color spectrum."

beezo said:
To be clear, what you're describing is simply adjusting the bit rate, correct?  I understand that a higher bit rate would decrease compression artifacts in the blacks.  What I'm trying to see is if anybody knew of way to compress a file, from a 25 - 30Mbs rate down to something like 5-8Mbs while still minimizing the blacks from getting the obvious compression artifacts.

You've switched from describing a file-size to describing a bitrate.  The bitrate required to achieve a given quality is source dependent – some sources compress better than others.  You can trade off blocking for a softer image, but I don't imagine you'd be keen on that.  If for some reason the bitrate has to be within a certain range, you'd be better off reducing resolution, e.g. 1080p→720p.

Top Bottom