• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Adding subtitle track without breaking down DVD

ReverendBeastly

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So here is my situation:

I have a German DVD of The Neverending Story, which has both the American cut of the film, and the German cut of the film, which is a few minutes longer and has a different score. Only downside is that there is no English audio track, only German, and German subtitles. I had the German subtitles translated into English, and I want to re-author the disc to include the English subtitles to appear on the German cut by default. What I do not want to do is fully break down this DVD, and re-structure the elements inside DVD-lab. Is there any software that will allow me to just insert a subtitle track on top of a video track and keep the existing DVD structure?

yes. Things could get a bit difficult if your DVD uses seamless branching and does not have 2 full versions on it.
You use vobblanker for this. --> http://download.videohelp.com/jsoto/vobblanker.htm
Get the movie, subtitles and chapters of the German version with PGCdemux --> http://download.videohelp.com/jsoto/dvdtools.htm
Create a movie only DVD with muxman (free version) --> http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Muxman (or any other authoring tool that can create a movie only DVD without re-encoding), using the movie, the chapters and the new English subtitles.
Replace the German version of the film with your new version using vobblanker.
This will give you the exact same DVD as the original, but the German subtitles have been replaced by the English ones.

Fantastic! Thanks tons, Boon, your wealth of knowledge is always appreciated. The DVD doesn't use seamless branching, it does contain two full versions of the movie on the same disc.

As the film was shot in english, I would like to see the english audio edited to fit the longer version, with the extended sequences subtitled. I don't think I could bear an entire film dubbed in german. :D

Yeah, well, if you wanna take on that project, please have at it. I'd love it. I don't know how easily the cut would be to make. I haven't watched it yet, but my understanding is that it's not so much that there's extra scenes, but that the edit is a bit looser and darker, with an alternate score. The edit itself would be enough of a pain in the ass, but the fact that you'd have to edit the English dialogue into the German soundtrack should be enough to dissuade most (i.e. me) from tackling it.

I know a couple faneditors who were going to tackle said NES project ;)

**cough**reave**cough**throwgncpr**cough

someday we'll get that cough fixed

It shall come to pass.

How is it possible to finish fanediting a Neverending Story? ;)

we each have the bluray for the cut we're all used to. I think Reave has a copy of the German cut on DVD. I keep meaning to have boon order me a copy, but I forget. It would be nice to be able to do this in HD, but I know the German cut is only available on DVD. will have to take a look at it.

FYI, I also sent you a PM :)

are the additions just padding? or are there substantial scenes/subplots?

reave release a fanedit? THATS A GOOD ONE!
brick.jpg

;)

TV's Frink said:
How is it possible to finish fanediting a Neverending Story? ;)

hehe, well, i have 2 maybe 3 NES projects planned. With the combined editing speed of reave and myself this may just be neverending ;)

Back
Top Bottom