• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Adding "Grindhouse-like" Aging Effects

Lolwut0

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's actually a playlist. You can see more overlays if you watch it on YouTube.

TMBTM said:
Nice, but the problem with taking overlay videos like that on youtube is that you'll maybe end up with some of the average compression above your (normaly) perfectly clean video.
The goal is to make things look old. And adding a compressed video look is the opposite of it.

Have you tried the Download-Link in the description? It's in 720p.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lolwut0 said:
Have you tried the Download-Link in the description? It's in 720p.

Youtube compresses everything, I think that's what TMBTM means. :)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Youtube compresses everything, I think that's what TM2YC means. :)

Yes that what "I" wanted to say.
And even if youtube improved their quality in past years you don't know what is the quality of the source the guy uploaded anyway.
So maybe the source was already compressed, then youtube add his compression, THEN when you render your edit you will add compression also.
I don't say you can't use those videos as overlays, I'm saying some test should be done first regarding the quality.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Yes that what "I" wanted to say.
And even if youtube improved their quality in past years you don't know what is the quality of the source the guy uploaded anyway.
So maybe the source was already compressed, then youtube add his compression, THEN when you render your edit you will add compression also.
I don't say you can't use those videos as overlays, I'm saying some test should be done first regarding the quality.

Saw the first 'T' in the username and got confused :p You're absolutely right.
Spot on about the uploader as well. Unless they specifically mention it (and even then...), you can't check their original format.
Worst case scenario you're going from (compressed) upload to compressed Youtube video to compressed download and then your edit.

I'd just scour the web for some overlays. I found a really sweet 35mm overlay that I used in my Man of Tomorrow edit, and it was completely free! :) There's awesome stuff on the web but you do have to look for it ;)

Lolwut0

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Youtube compresses everything, I think that's what TMBTM means. :)

That's why I asked if he tried the Download-Link.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lolwut0 said:
My bad, thought that you meant if he tried downloading the clip itself.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lolwut0 said:

I thought as Kal-El.
Maybe the videos from the link are good, I don't know.

Thought my comment could be useful in general regarding youtube downloads anyway.

Lolwut0

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I think it wasn't obvious enough on my part that there is an additional download link.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Which program / plugin would be the best for the exact lok of the video below:

Top Bottom