• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

ac3 Audio In Main Menu Timeline Shows as Right Channel Only

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The thread title is the only way I can think of to describe this problem, so here's a screenshot of my main menu timeline:

trackcapture.png

My project properties in Architect are set to 5.1. The movie audio came out just fine, here's a screenshot of that timeline:

trackcapture2.png

I created the main menu audio by taking six mono tracks in Vegas and exporting as ac3. I tried both the 5.1 and stereo settings when exporting and it still looks like that first screenshot. I also checked the ac3 file in mediainfo and it reports 6 channels.

The real problem here is that the sound levels are way too low on the DVD menu because of this.

weird. could be several things, so we will need to narrow it down.

The video for that track - is that in a separate Vegas project, or are you editing in the same project that has other clips where the audio is fine in Architect? If it's a separate project, check the settings to make sure they haven't been messed up.

If that's not the problem. Check the layer properties in Vegas. Right click on the track name on the left to make sure nothing is weird.

If that's not the problem, check your render settings.

If that's not the problem, it could be a glitch in the audio file. Try rerendering. Before you add it to Architect, make sure to delete the .sfk or whatever Architect makes to build the peaks, so architect is forced to rebuild peaks.

Still borked? Make a new architect project, and see what happens when you add the audio and video. If that fixes it, something weird has been set in your Architect project.

Still borked? submit offerings to the deity of your choice.

Still borked? greedy deities... Try adding a PCM wav file (architect will render it upon building the DVD, but at least you might get stereo audio)

Still borked? ABORT

Video and audio in same project...but I checked my main movie audio in Architect, and it turns out in the few spots where I replaced audio, it has the same problem. I noticed too-low volume in those spots but thought I had the levels wrong. For some reason it's happening everywhere I'm not using the original six mono wavs.

I'll do more investigating and tinkering as you suggest tonight. Thanks.

Ok, I fixed it, although I can't explain why this works this way.

I went back and looked at my Architect project properties from my Ridiculous edits. The audio was set to stereo rather than 5.1. I went back to this project, changed the audio to stereo, rerendered the audio and popped it in, and now it works.

*shrug*

Unless things have changed, non-pro versions of architect don't support 5.1.

Well, you can certainly get 5.1 out of it as all my projects have true 5.1 sound. And there is an option for it in the project properties. Even if that is the case, it doesn't make much sense that you can select it and it would change the output.

So, digging into the owner's manual a bit, I found out that the project setting for audio only affects audio that needs to be recompressed. I'm not exactly sure why, but my main menu audio is recompressed, but the movie audio is not. At any rate, with the project settings on Stereo, everything seems to be working fine now.

TV's Frink said:
So, digging into the owner's manual a bit, I found out that the project setting for audio only affects audio that needs to be recompressed. I'm not exactly sure why, but my main menu audio is recompressed, but the movie audio is not. At any rate, with the project settings on Stereo, everything seems to be working fine now.

Still a little confused what the problem and goal is, but yeah stereo is only option for menu audio. 5.1 will be recompressed in architect. As for movie audio, architect shouldn't ever be recompressing your audio tracks. Furthermore, it would be a bad thing if architect made all your audio tracks equal to your project setting. That would defeat the ability to have different types of audio tracks for same video.

No problem at all. Goal was just to match audio level on menu and movie, which seems to be accomplished now.

Back
Top Bottom