• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A View To A Kill - Moore's Final Chase

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
James Bond is getting a good amount of love on FE right now. Here's my latest project of 007:

A VIEW TO A KILL

James Bond's fourteenth film is Roger Moore's seventh and final adventure as 007.

A View to a Kill introduces psychotic villain, Max Zorin, aided by menacing May Day. Zorin, like Lex Luthor in Superman (1978), wants to trigger a Californian earthquake. Where Gene Hackman plays Luthor intelligent in a reasonable kind of way, Christopher Walken gives Zorin a level of insanity that convinces us he could actually come up with the scheme - and see it through to its genocidal conclusion.

This edit cuts cheap laughs, gratuitous sex, gimmicks during the horse race, the firetruck chase, the shower, and Stacey's screaming. The springboard atop the Eiffel Tower is erased. The frame-skip when May Day gets in bed is smoother.

Runtime: 117 minutes (14 minutes cut).

The teaser poster:
Bond%201985%20A%20View%20to%20a%20Kill%20-%20teaser%20poster.jpg

Change list:
- Trim ski chase, replace Beach Boys w Barry score.
- Cut Bond inside minisub.
- Small trim Moneypenny at horse races.
- Trim Eiffel Tower chase: Bond no longer is such a bad shot, he does not get caught in ropes.
- Erase diving-board off Eiffel Tower.
- Trim cabbie.
- Cut fight with lab guards.
- Trim when Grace beds Bond to remove frame-jump.
- Trim horse race (no gimmicks, just straightforward bullying).
- Trim Russian spy in jacuzzi.
- Trim Stacey, and CIA, exposition in her house.
- Trim annoying Stacey in burning elevator.
- Trim firetruck chase.
- Trim Stacey screaming in tunnel, trim some violent deaths.
- Cut Q, robo-dog, shower. Now Stacey rests on Bond's shoulder straight to sunset on the bridge.
- Dub in Grace Jones "Storm" song over end credits.
- Post credits clip: Gogol offers medal in M's office.

Suggestions for a sub-title are welcome! Some ideas:
  • AVTAK - Moore's Final Chase .

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow.... There goes my idea for my next Bond edit ;)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the ENTIRE fight in the lab under the stables could be cut.
It is atrociously bad.  Bad fight choreography.  Bad stunt doubles.  Bad editing.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
It is atrociously bad.  Bad fight choreography.  Bad stunt doubles.  Bad editing.

It is bad. And you're right that it doesn't further the plot.

It's cut, the preceding and following scenes flow just fine.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
bionicbob said:

It is bad. And you're right that it doesn't further the plot.

It's cut, the preceding and following scenes flow just fine.

Nice... this is sounding good.  Very much looking forward to seeing this.  Are you carrying out sound replacement work for the ski chase when the beach boys song is used?  I seem to remember a faneditor attempting this on a proposed View to A Kill edit which never saw the light of day.  Best of luck... I may still have a go at this, but I'm gonna wait to see what you do with it to see if it's even worth me committing any time to doing an edit ;)

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
Are you carrying out sound replacement work for the ski chase when the beach boys song is used?

Yes, Beach Boys are out. I haven't yet chosen the Barry score to take its place.

I will do sound replacement, not just noise reduction to filter out the surf music. I learned that from my Skyfall edit (too much filtering gave part of the final battle that "bathtub" sound, now I'm working on Version 2 to replace that properly).

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
LastSurvivor said:
Are you carrying out sound replacement work for the ski chase when the beach boys song is used?

Yes, Beach Boys are out. I haven't yet chosen the Barry score to take its place.

I will do sound replacement, not just noise reduction to filter out the surf music. I learned that from my Skyfall edit (too much filtering gave part of the final battle that "bathtub" sound, now I'm working on Version 2 to replace that properly).

Excellent... yeah, it's always worth doing sound replacement if you can - it's a lot of work, but the end result is so much more rewarding.  I completely replaced the sound for the finale of Halloween H20 so that I could use different music - so much work, but oh so worth it.  

As for music to use, I'm sure you can find something from Barry's catalogue which will fit nicely.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With my 007 edit of The World is Not Enough completed, I'm diving back into my Roger Moore edit. :)

AVTAK%20Moores%20Final%20Chase%20-%20cover.jpg

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In this 007 edit, I had the different work method of first getting all the video cuts in place before doing any audio work. Usually I do them in tandem.

I'm happy to announce that the video editing is complete except for 2 seconds of MayDay getting into bed. But now I still have all the audio editing left! Around 150 cuts and 2 song replacements. Well, lesson learned: in future I'll keep doing the audio and video work together.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I imagine this edit will sort of be dedicated to Tanya Roberts, who sadly passed away this week. :(

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought fake death reports were myths, or at least a thing of the past. Pw: fanedit.org

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice to see you back to work on this lapis :)  Good luck with all the sound editing!

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's the complete change list:

Pre-title sequence:
- Replaced Beach Boys song with James Bond theme copied from the Eiffel tower jump & chase.
- Cut a green-screen close-up of Bond skiing (bad FX).
- Cut all interior shots of submarine.
- Moved two cutaways shots of Soviet skiers to fill the slots of the above-mentioned removed shots, and cut one exterior submarine shot.
- Cut a few seconds of the ski-chase for pacing, moved a few shots around to make that work.

UK:
- Cut lame joke in Moneypenny's office about Bond's return from Siberia.
- Mute Q's "micro comparator" (unnecessary and I find it makes Q sound like he's trying to be smart, which he needn't show off nor would he).
- Cut joke about Bond winning at the races (not funny and made Moneypenny look daft).

France:
- Cut absurd face and mute sexist comment by Aubergine (this isn't 'Allo, Allo!).
- Trim Bond chasing Mayday up the Eiffel tower (making him less of a bad shot and not get tangled up in the fishing wire).
- Erase the diving-board on the Eiffel tower (actually @"LastSurvivor" erased the diving-board. He did this perfectly for his own excellent edit A View To A Kill: The LS Cut, and I am thankful to copy his work for this shot).
- Dub the cabbie's exaggerated English with actual French (not all French sound like "Renee from zee Cafe", using the blu-ray's French DTS track).
- Cut two shots of the cabbie to reduce his exaggerated flailings (unfunny physical comedy).
- Mute Bond's sexist comment that Stacey "bears closer inspection" and cut the subsequent bad joke to Tibbett that Bond would be doing that for duty. This doesn't fit anymore, because in this edit Bond does not sleep with Stacey. He acts like a responsible father figure to her.
- Cut the terrible fight-scene between Bond/Tibbett and two guards in Zorin's storage. Moved the Bond/Tibbett exterior shot immediately after for better narrative flow. Re-ordered the subsequent Mayday/Zorin martial arts practice to accomodate that I moved its cutaway shot.
- Trimmed Mayday in bed with Bond: cut the first 18 frames to get rid of the infamous frame jump. Cut the last frames that had Bond rolling his eyes to the tune of God Save The Queen. It's a weak joke and I prefer to make up my own mind whether Bond is doing this merely for "Queen and Country" or that he not. (I tried to smooth the frame jump of Mayday getting into bed with Bond by adding frames made in photoshop. I added 10 frames with 4 layers for different movements: Bond's arm, Mayday's body, sheets, background. I was not satisfied with the result, so decided not to use them and instead I cut 19 frames to remove the frame jump).
- Mute Bond's cringe-inducing joke to Zorin that he "got off eventually".
- Erased Mayday from two shots when Tibbet's at the gate. It bugged me that Tibbet wouldn't bother to look in and around the car to see where she suddenly disappeared to.
- Cut Bond's jocular comment that his horse is a little spirited (lame).
- Cut/cropped out all shots of gimmicks at the Bond/Zorin horse-race, making the race simply brutal for Bond because Zorin's "exercise boys" beat him up while riding.

USA:
- Cut most of the jacuzzi scene (bad jokes and slow pacing). Bond still gets the girl, just without the goofy stuff.
- Cut product placement for The Sharper Image when Bond enters Stacey's home through the window.
- Trim fight inside Stacey's house (to minimize bad choreography).
- Mute goon's "Hey, wait for me" (sounded too much A-Team villain).
- Cut Stacey's "what is it?" at the quiche. (Plea to scriptwriters: fewer dumb lines for actresses please!).
- Cut Stacey's "ten times more than they're worth" (made her principally-sound decision into a bad business decision, without this information these interests no longer need to conflict).
- Cut Stacey's "I'd sell everything and live in a tent before I give up" (the silence speaks for itself).
- Cut cutaway close-up shot of phonebox (for pacing).
- Trim exposition between Bond/Stacey/CIA's Chuck Lee (for pacing, and because superfluous).
- Trims to Bond & Stacey entering at City Hall (for pacing).
- Trims to burning elevator (excising much of the screaming Tanya Roberts was made to do in this movie).
- Outside burning City Hall: cut cop's "goddammit", mute fireman's warning about the latch on the truck (made cop sound not in control, and fireman's reference no longer applies as the resulting sequence is cut).
- Many trims to fire-truck chase, including removal of the loose crane and cop-car pile-up. (This isn't the Blues Brothers). Now the chase ends with Bond's trademark announcement that his name is "Bond, James Bond".
- Many small trims in Zorin's cave (for pacing).
- Cut the pit inside a tunnel (inconsequential, slows down the story, and nobody would dig a shaft there).
- Trims to Zorin shooting his own men (to tone down Zorin's cartoon-villain excess).
- Cut shot of Stacey seeing the blimp coming toward her. It's bad enough that she can be taken by surprise by a blimp, but did they really have to make her see the thing and still not manage to escape it?
- Cut shot of Bond hanging from blimp, grazing a skyscraper antenna (bad & cheap joke).
- End on bridge. No Q, no robo-dog, no shower, no sex.

- Dub in Grace Jones "Storm" over the end credits (trimmed to fit). I love Duran Duran's song, but that already has the opening titles and many callbacks in Barry's score. The movie is better balanced by having a different song over the end credits.
- Add a brief post-credits clip: General Gogol offering an award for Bond. I enjoy Gotell's Gogol and his lines add to the story. I didn't want to cut him just because I cut the shower scene, so here it is as a post-credit.
- Added FE logo.
- Raised the center channel volume by 5dB (I found dialog was overshadowed too much by other sounds).
- I had intended to make a bunch more micro trims (for pacing), including further reducing the goofiness of the Parisian cabbie and the two-wheeled car. But I couldn't line up John Barry's score to make it work. I would've had to do a lot of sound replacement work and be stuck with inserting music from the CD (which rarely sounds seamless) for all of about 30 seconds of trims.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Small victory: I had intended to mute Bond's joke that he "got off eventually", but it looks and sounds incomplete. So instead I've changed it to "got to bed eventually". I took Moore's "bed" from The Man With The Golden Gun.
I tried "sleep" but I couldn't find a usable version, so "bed" it is.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This cut list has me very intrigued to say the least... a far more aggressive edit that the one I took, I can't wait to see how this one turns out Lapis... Good job on the "got off eventually"... I would never have bothered to think about using a line from another Bond film, but it's pretty obvious really :D

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
I would never have bothered to think about using a line from another Bond film

Before I started my Buck Rogers set, I probably wouldn't have thought of it either. For Buck I'm using dialog from all episodes to cobble together the dialog I want to create (or as close to it as I can get).

For Roger Moore, I also listened to a bunch of old interviews on Youtube in search of "sleep", but I didn't find him saying it. So when I found "bed" with a decent match for intonation, I went with that. Tip for quick word search: I used Notepad to search the seven .srt subtitle files from Moore's 007 films. When I found the right word, I played that timestamp of that film to check who says it and whether the sound is usable.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's the horse race without the gimmicks on the track. Now it's plain rough-housing from Zorin's "exercise boys".
PW: fanedit.org

Top Bottom