• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A View To A Kill - Moore's Final Chase

lapis molari said:
Here's the horse race without the gimmicks on the track. Now it's plain rough-housing from Zorin's "exercise boys".
PW: fanedit.org

Nicely done... You can see there's a guy crouching down beside one of main fences as if he is clearly operating something, but that's a very small criticism, as the scene works well without all the gimmicks ;)

LastSurvivor said:
Nicely done... You can see there's a guy crouching down beside one of main fences as if he is clearly operating something, but that's a very small criticism, as the scene works well without all the gimmicks ;)

Thanks! Yeah, I left that button-pusher in. I cropped out the other one, and only lost a little of the frame, but at this hurdle the camera angle isn't good to crop. I'd have to zoom in so much that the grain would look different. Plus your eye follows the action, so when watching the complete movie, this one guy won't stand out.

Here's a funny shot that didn't make it into the film. Moore goes off-script when Stacey is fired at City Hall.
If there is a blooper reel of 007 films, this certainly belongs in it. :p
(No password).

I cut 4'01" from the firetruck chase (5'05" down to 1'04"). Many rearranged shots, some sound replacement and a bit of soundtrack added.
No password.
Do you notice the continuity error on first viewing? I'm hoping you won't! Because I haven't figured out a way around that particular shot.

lapis molari said:
I cut 4'01" from the firetruck chase (5'05" down to 1'04"). Many rearranged shots, some sound replacement and a bit of soundtrack added.
No password.
Do you notice the continuity error on first viewing? I'm hoping you won't! Because I haven't figured out a way around that particular shot.

Nice try lapis, but if you want an honest opinion I dont think this works very well for 2 reasons... One is definitely the continuity problem of Bond in a different driver's cab and second the scene is very short and now underwhelming.

Fully agree with LS that the sequence is now far too short and doesn't really have any payoff.  Continuity problem aside, the sequence simply exists but serves no purpose and the music kicks in for no real reason.  I think a compromise can be made to remove much of the shenanigans but still make an entertaining and useful sequence of events.

Thanks for the feedback @"LastSurvivor" and @"Hymie"!

We're coming at this scene from different perspectives. You prefer the chase to be entertaining and not underwhelming, while I would prefer it gone completely. Let me explain:
- Earlier (in the same film!), Bond is apprehended by the police in Paris. He doesn't break away to escape them, he goes to police headquarters where things are clarified to the cops. We're given no reason why the San Francisco police situation is different. Are these cops on Zorin's payroll, so they cannot be trusted? Nothing suggests that.
- The full chase creates a threat to lives of many innocent people on the streets. I can see Bond taking and making that risk in the line of duty if he's chasing a villain, but here he's running away from the cops. Not the same thing at all.
- Bond and Stacey know their destination, so they're not trying to catch up with Zorin to find out where to go. Plus Zorin is long gone by the time Bond steals the firetruck.
- There is no reason for Bond to climb out of the cabin. He cannot assume Stacey can safely drive a firetruck. I understand the ideal situation of two firemen driving the vehicle (one in the back for the back wheels) but surely it's better to have one qualified driver at the main wheel, than to put the qualified person at the back wheel while a non-experienced person in heels handles the main wheel.
- In short: No, the chase does not further the story of Bond chasing the villain or finding out useful information. It only serves as a comedic distraction.
- However: Yes, Bond uses the firetruck to get his disguise to enter Zorin's mining compound. So I keep the firetruck as they approach the mine (point C), to explain how Bond gets into the mine. This means I must show how Bond got the firetruck (point A). Of course the cops give chase when someone steals a firetruck, so I must show enough of the chase to explain how Bond got away (journey B).

On the continuity error: yeah, I'm stuck on that for now. I used all the shots of Bond in the main cabin, but needed one more for the bridge approach. Perhaps I can repurpose one of the main cabin shots by cropping it or playing it in reverse so it doesn't feel like a repeat shot. I'll take another look.

lapis molari said:
Thanks for the feedback @"LastSurvivor" and @"Hymie"!

We're coming at this scene from different perspectives. You prefer the chase to be entertaining and not underwhelming, while I would prefer it gone completely. Let me explain:
- Earlier (in the same film!), Bond is apprehended by the police in Paris. He doesn't break away to escape them, he goes to police headquarters where things are clarified to the cops. We're given no reason why the San Francisco police situation is different. Are these cops on Zorin's payroll, so they cannot be trusted? Nothing suggests that.
- The full chase creates a threat to lives of many innocent people on the streets. I can see Bond taking and making that risk in the line of duty if he's chasing a villain, but here he's running away from the cops. Not the same thing at all.
- Bond and Stacey know their destination, so they're not trying to catch up with Zorin to find out where to go. Plus Zorin is long gone by the time Bond steals the firetruck.
- There is no reason for Bond to climb out of the cabin. He cannot assume Stacey can safely drive a firetruck. I understand the ideal situation of two firemen driving the vehicle (one in the back for the back wheels) but surely it's better to have one qualified driver at the main wheel, than to put the qualified person at the back wheel while a non-experienced person in heels handles the main wheel.
- In short: No, the chase does not further the story of Bond chasing the villain or finding out useful information. It only serves as a comedic distraction.
- However: Yes, Bond uses the firetruck to get his disguise to enter Zorin's mining compound. So I keep the firetruck as they approach the mine (point C), to explain how Bond gets into the mine. This means I must show how Bond got the firetruck (point A). Of course the cops give chase when someone steals a firetruck, so I must show enough of the chase to explain how Bond got away (journey B).

On the continuity error: yeah, I'm stuck on that for now. I used all the shots of Bond in the main cabin, but needed one more for the bridge approach. Perhaps I can repurpose one of the main cabin shots by cropping it or playing it in reverse so it doesn't feel like a repeat shot. I'll take another look.

All of that makes perfect sense lapis.  I totally see where you are going with the edit, and as you say, in an ideal world it would be best to cut the chase entirely.  As that's not possible, this does cause what's called a fanediting dilemma... well, at least in my eyes! ;)   Of course, you can totally stick to your guns and have the scene play out as it does in that clip.  The continuity problem aside, the scene does what you need it to do (shows how Bond and Stacey get into the fire truck so they can arrive at the mine) and then you get the scene over as soon as you can.  I do think if you're going to have the scene play out that way, it may even be better without any music as it could make the scene seem less important - if you know what I mean. 

The dilemma comes for me however, in that having the scene play out this way does feel somewhat off, as if something is missing.  I mean, I get this all the time when editing... I want to get rid of a scene, or radically trim a scene, but I know in doing so would either a) cause a continuity problem or b) by making these changes it would be obvious that something was actually fanedited, as the rhythm of the film now feels at odds with itself.   When I get cases like those, personally I would dial back on the changes and just trim down the scene in a more subtle way which gets the worst bits out of the way, but leaves the scene still feeling natural to the film's pace. 

Having said all that - this is just my take on it Lapis.  This is an edit which is 100% yours of course, so by all means keep the scene as you have cut it.  Who knows, maybe I'll see the edit and it will play out far better than I anticipated.   I for one am excited to see your take on A View to A Kill, as it's going to be a more aggressive edit than the one I did!  Keep up the good work ;)

I replaced the Beach Boys cover with the Bond theme that plays during the Eiffel Tower / Seine chase. That chase doesn't have clean music, so I used the CD. I spread the stereo sound across all channels, but I can't check the result: I don't have a surround setup anymore, just a 2.1 system. So my request if you have a surround system:

Listen to this clip and let me know whether the CD music blends in seamlessly, not about the transitions but about the tonal consistency of the surround music (the inserted music runs 0'31"-1'08"). No password.

Really excited about this edit. I’ve always had a soft spot for A View To A Kill, despite its many flaws. A tighter, more streamlined version sounds very promising!

I was looking at your firetruck chase edit and was wondering if you had tried keeping the firetruck but losing the “chase”? As you say, it's necessary for Bond and Stacey to steal the firetruck as they arrive at the mine in it. But the chase itself adds little value. So the scene could be pared down to the bare minimum, where the cops don’t give chase and we only stick around for the couple of exchanges between Bond and Stacey. These would only need to be broken up with a couple of ext firetruck shots that’s don’t have prominent cop cars (or ones where the cops can be framed out)

Possibly have Stacey turning on the siren as the final beat so it comes after “My real name is Bond. James Bond. You must take my word for it”. I always took it as a nice non-verbal sign that she does still trust him after finding out he lied about his identity. Then finish with the firetruck driving off into the distance using that shot with the prominent bridge sign it. There are a lot of police sirens over the audio that could hopefully be toned down or removed if the dialogue track is clean enough.

Just a thought for an alternate way to handle things. Could possibly be too abrupt and throw off the rhythm of the edit as Last Survivor said. Good luck with the rest of the edit!

I figured out the solution for my shortened firetruck chase!
- The shot of Bond in the back cab is replaced with him in the correct (main) cab, while he tells Stacey to "Hold tight!" (audio dubbed in from a different point in the movie).
- The music volume is lowered to better fit the volume of the action going on. I tried the chase without any music and didn't like it, but quieter does fit better.

This completes the edit. Now I'll just wait for feedback on the ski chase surround-sound music (see video in the previous post). If it works as well as I think it will on a 5.1 system, then this 007 is ready to list. :)

That's much better Lapis... excellent work and redubbing works a charm.  Personally, I still think the chase is too short - this is evidenced even more by the inclusion of the music (which sounds very low in the mix), which hardly has time to start before it has to fade out quite abruptly - but I totally acknowledge why you want this scene to be as truncated as it is and this is definitely a much better version than the previous one.

Looking forward to seeing this!

If you wanted to lose the Fire Truck chase completely, the moment after Roberts turns on the siren is a natural cut point.

@"bionicbob" and @"robulon", my thought on retaining a short chase is that this is the fastest way for Bond to make off with a firetruck that doesn't break my suspension of disbelief. This way the cops stop pursuit once they reach the end of their jurisdiction at the river, which makes more sense than them not bothering at all to stop a firetruck(!)-thief.

That makes sense. Perhaps in the context of the whole scene, having zero police reaction to Bond's blatant thievery is a bridge too far. (Moore-style pun intended ;))

Your new workaround for the continuity error works great!

I made Dutch subtitles for A View To A Kill - Moore's Final Chase.
If any Dutch speakers want the .srt file, PM me. :)

Back
Top Bottom