• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

a tip for better fanediting

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This link below is a self help for those writing a book. However one of the steps (and just changing a few of the words) can be applied to faneditors and this effect and step is something we all have been a victim of at one time or another. This info is very helpful to older (and especially) new faneditors alike-

main link:
http://litreactor.com/columns/5-ways-your-brain-sabotages-your-writing-and-what-to-do-about-it

[h=2]Curse Of Knowledge[/h] Your brain says: “Readers are going to understand everything in your story.”
The reality: Once you know something, it’s tough to remember what it was like not to know it.
curse-of-knowledge2.jpg
Try this: Wander over to your office mate, captor, or barista and explain that you are going to knock on your desk to the rhythm of a song. It’s their job to guess the song. Use “Don’t Stop Believing,” “Thriller,” or some other well-known song of your choosing. What do you think the odds are they will be able to identify the song? Try and report back…

They didn’t get it, did they? And you were sure they would. When this experiment was run in a more formal setting, only 3 out of 120 songs were guessed correctly, and the tappers were shocked. The song was playing so clearly in their heads that they couldn’t imagine anyone missing it. That’s the Curse Of Knowledge (cue lightning and maniacal laughter).

As writers, it’s a cognitive bias worth watching for. Just because you recognize a reference, find something entertaining, or understand something about your plot or character, does not mean your reader will. If you’ve got an outline of your novel and knowledge of future events, it’s easy to inadvertently write scenes that confuse readers who don’t know as much about your story. The story in your head sounds like “Thriller,” but to your readers, it sounds like random tapping. Try to avoid that.

Solutions:

• Get a good editor or smart reader to give you honest feedback. When I started my novel, I had a giant Curse-Of-Knowledge-induced blind spot in early chapters. Fortunately, I was taking Christopher Bram’s novel-writing course here on LitReactor, and he pointed it out.
  • Make sure the test reader isn’t privy to the inner workings of your story. Another classmate, who had read my outline, noted that “Chris is right, but having read your synopsis, my mind just filled that information in for me and I never noticed it was missing.”

I'm shocked that Big Bird could swallow that poor man whole! Then again, I suppose it is a bit unlikely that he could have reached that size on bird seed alone...

Seriously, though, good advice, tranzor!

This is an awesome thread. Thanks Tranz!

That picture sucks.

...That guy is clearly not Caroll Spinney!

(NOT) Interesting, but true, fact:

His brother used to be my headmaster when I attended secondary school back in the day (about 1993)

Back
Top Bottom