• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A Thread for Sharing Stories

MovieFreakedMind

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a thread where people can suggest a story about something interesting and everybody can respond with their own story. 

I'll start: Share the story of your weirdest restaurant experience. 

For me, it was this terrible sports bar. They asked me how I wanted my burger cooked and I said medium, then the waitress said that the chef would only serve medium-well or well-done burgers, which I thought was bizarre, but I ordered medium-well. Then when they brought it out, it was still red in the center. And the fries on my plate were normal fries, but the fries the person I was with got were clearly Ore-Ida microwavable crinkle-cut fries. Then they took forever to bring the check and when they did they never came back to get our credit card. Once we were the only ones left in the restaurant we went up and asked the hostess at the front to run the card so we could finally leave. We never went back. 

What's yours? Also, when this topic seems done, anyone can suggest another subject.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like the Soup Nazi branched out.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I once went to Bella Italia with my mum and she found hair in her food. I personally would have removed it and not make a big deal out of it, but my mum is a very emotional person and she got a replacement. We haven't been there since.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A Middle Eastern restaurant in London, probably 20 years ago now - me and a group of 5-6 friends. The ambiance was great - I think we sat on cushions on the floor or something - but a friend ordered a chicken dish. She took one bite and realised they'd forgotten to cook it. They offered her a replacement but she refused and had nothing. We probably should have left in solidarity, but we didn't. I can't remember what I had, nor whether the whole meal was free - I think it might have been. Never went back, of course, and my friend didn't suffer any complications.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
I once went to Bella Italia with my mum and she found hair in her food. I personally would have removed it and not make a big deal out of it, but my mum is a very emotional person and she got a replacement. We haven't been there since.

The hair was the wrong color so they replaced it with the right one?

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
wilhelm scream said:

I meant the food!

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I once went to the 99s restaurant, and at one point the waitress thought she was being funny and indirectly called me and my stepmother fat with some joke about salads. I didn't pick up on it, but she and my father did, and we haven't gone back there. Though a new 99s opened in my hometown and we went there once, it was pretty nice, the waiter was pretty cool.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
TVs Frink said:
wilhelm scream said:

I meant the food!

thatsthejoke.gif

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Worked in restaurant once. Woman comes in with her kids, completely skipping the queue at the door, and starts picking at stuff from the buffet with their bare hands. I went over and asked if they needed help, she said "No, we're fine, we're just seeing if we like this place." She swipes a piece of pizza and starts eating it. I say "I'm sorry, this is the buffet, let me just get you seated at a table then I can find you some plates." Her kids were busy eating bread sticks. 

So I take them over to their table and say that they needed to pay before eating from the buffet, something I would have told them had they waited in line like everyone else. "But then how will we know whether we like it or not?" she says in a posh Surrey accent, "I would never pay for something unless I knew it was good." This was a shitty fuckin pizza restaurant, none of it was good.

I wasn't sure how to respond to that, so I just started running through the script I usually give people after welcoming them into the restaurant. I asked if she wanted to pay for a buffet meal for her and the kids, she responded "No, we're going to check the other restaurants to see if there's anything we like better." I responded, stuttering "But none of the other restaurants are buffets, how are you going to check you like them before eating there?" She scoffed at this and rolled her eyes, before getting up, looking me dead in the face and saying "Don't worry, it's not your fault that they hire stupid people here".

They never came back.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Working at a restaurant seems like it would be such a pain.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
During my short career as a dishwasher, there was a cook who put raw bacon in a soup. She got indignant after the other cooks called her out for her faux pas and walked off the job. Suffice to say, I never saw her again.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Working at a restaurant seems like it would be such a pain.

I could tell so many more stories about that place. I've worked some days... You know how people say "chill out" as a synonym for "relax"? Well I figured out why when I spent 15 minutes hiding from management in the walk-in freezer, just because I needed a small break.

Of course, after I stopped working there, I never went back.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Me and a friend once ate at a steak house somewhat late but we still left before closing time. The waitress basically didn't pay any attention to us at all and our drinks were empty for the whole meal. Oh well that wasn't even the bad part.

So my bill was like 32 bucks or something like that. (Steak dinner and I might have also had a beer). I gave her a 40 and told her to keep the change. My friends was like 18 and he told her he needed his change back from a 20(he had planned to tip another way). She then storms off loudly complaining to her co-workers and anyone that could hear about how fucking cheap people are and that if we couldn't afford to tip we shouldn't eat out. I was shocked. It wasn't even busy and she still managed to completely ignore us and I STILL had told her to keep 8 dollars in change and my friend was planning to leave her a 5. Well it turns out she isn't very good at listening either because she came back and slammed my 8 dollars on the table and keeps my friends 2 dollars and stormed off.

After that spectacle we decided she didn't deserve more than the 2 dollars so we just left.

Food was decent, but I oddly never felt compelled to go back.

For the record I always go out of my way to be polite and I always tip servers, this is the only instance I can ever recall not giving them anything.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When you said he planned to tip another way, I expected this story to take a different turn.

Top Bottom