• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A Star is Re-Born (1954): Roadshow WITH NO STILLS in HD, Theatrical and Extended Versions

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A Star is Born (1954), remains my fave version of this now four times filmed melodrama HOWEVER, IMHO (and many have published articles online that concur), I find the restoration of this movie to be catastrophic from a viewing perspective ackowledging of course that it was a huge undertaking with many superlative additions.

I applaud and acknowledge the huge effors that went into this restoration, and they are well documented in many articles and books, but for my taste, the use of stills to pad out the almost complete audio (5 mins were unused due to even that approach being unsuitable), just pulls me out of the picture EVERY TIME.

This edit tries to a number of things:
1. Remove ALL the stills used to pad out the full audio that was discovered.
In fact, 5 mins that were removed for the restoration since even they could not make it work for those 5 mins with the 2 stills they had...that should have been a clue.
2. Retain as muc of the audio by using the motion footage to work around the limitations while maintaining the narrative.
3. Reconstruct the missing Overture and Exit music Captions and correct the INTERMISSION card by using the correct fonts (isolated from the opening titles) and use the correct music cues now available
4. Reconstrcut George Cukor's orginally intended orchestration and editing to the final scene now that a stereo version of the music exits and to do so in HD for the first time (previously this was an SD recreation that was on the DVD and Blu Ray)
5. Add back a few moments discoverd since the restoration.

Submission Imminent.

W

Although this is an archive submission of an edit I made in 2017, I did make substatial changes recently plus some further additions to it since the Captions mentioned above were not in the 2017 version...nor was the Car Hop sequence which I deemed to be too poor to keep in HOWEVER, thanks to some work from @spence , this has now been restored to this version meaning that all the live action pieces found for the original restoration have now been retained.

In total, this takes the run time of this version to 179 mins, just 2 mins short of the Roadshow version and a few minutes longer than the restoration, despite the fact that 5 mins were removed from this version to accomplish the task.

Again, I must stress that the restoration was amazing ...even though I disliked the use of stills, the other material rescued is outstanding.

I would highl recommend that anyone who is remotely interested in the story behing the making, savaging and ultimately rescuing this movie read...

...It is truly breathtaking and an fascinating tale to be sure.

I trust that this alternative version is seen as an homage.

W

A full CHANGES list will be added to the listing this week...
The final run time in Total is 179 mins...just 2 mins shy of the original full length version albeit, the 2 new captions take a few minutes as well...

Last edited:
...So..now we have an open Question and dilema...

Is there ANY appetite for me to reconstruct the 154min Theatrical version, which ironically is NOT availble on any home video format...?

I have an off-air VHS recording from 1976 which I can use as a reference to rebuild it in in HD for the first time....
Easy one to do...

Any takers?

Last edited:
I'll take the content of that article with a mountain-sized grain of salt until more solid proof shows up. It's been 12 years, and nothing.

...So..now we have an open Question and dilema...

Is there ANY appetite for me to reconstruct the 154min Theatrical version, which ironically is NOT availble on any home video format...?

I have an off-air VHS recording from 1976 which I can use as a reference to rebuild it in in HD for the first time....
Easy one to do...

Any takers?
Go for it! The stills reconstruction is very valuable for cinephiles and scholars, but would make a casual viewer inmediately change channels, whereas the theatrical cut, incomplete as it may be, would hold interest all through.

The rough cut is now ONE for the Theatrical version.

All restorations have been conformed to the VHS...now the issue is just sound...and a coupe of tiny tweaks to keep it flowing per the THEATRICAL with acouple of those touches.....

I have to say, the hardest restoation to remove was the PROPOSAL scene with the crew....I recall reading about that scene in the late 70s and wondering if I would ever see it...and here I am removing it...I'M SO TEMPTED TO KEEP IT IN...of all the excisions made to trim this down THIS is the one which in my view is criminal.

My final dilem is do I keep Cukor's orinally scored version which is uniquely in the Reconstruction I already submitted...The anser is again reluctantly NOPE...This will be a full recovery of the bastardised Theatrical version...which frankly was the version I first saw and fell in love with...

Coming at ya...NEXT WEEK!

RT 154 min
W

Looks like we are going to end up with 3 versions of this masterpiece movie...

THE ROADSHOW VERSION rt 179 mins
THE THEATRICAL VERSION (first time in HD) rt 154 mins
and
THE EXTENDED VERSION, rt 166min (no intermission etc)
which will be the theatrical version PLUS the two extra musical numbers AND the proposal scene....which is likely going to my GOTO version from here on...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom