• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A Quiet Place

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just got back from seeing this and was pretty blown away by it to be honest, I was expecting a fairly low key horror with a good premise and mostly unseen horrors and lots of false jump scares. Jim from The Office has obviously spent the last few years watching the best James Cameron and Steven Spielberg films on repeat with a bit of Tremors ,Pitch Black and M.Night Shymalans good films to boot.

This was a really confident and beautifully paced thrill ride, theres a few fairly obvious homages/influences to Cameron and Spielbergs monster masterpieces but it does its own thing with them and never felt overly derivative. What really raises it to the next level though is the convincing family dynamic and how they deal with it all intelligently. All the performances were stellar in it but Krasinski has really excelled himself with this, the sound design and score was great too for a movie about silence!

Highly Recommended

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
(A trailer is usually a good thing to have in the OP for a specific movie thread.)

Good to know you support this one, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ahh good point yeah I'll remember that next time. Refreshingly the trailer doesn't spoil the whole damn movie for once too :)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just been on the phone to my sister who was talking about this. She hasn't seen it (she hates scary movies), but was telling me about it because she knows I like The Office and its directed by "Jim".

I like a good sci-fi horror. Will have to check this out...

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It reminded me a lot of  M.Night's Signs with a bit of the Mist thrown in and the setpieces are reminscent of Spielberg and Cameron's best stuff. I thought it was pretty flawless for what it was.  I guess they could have expanded the story further but keeping it as just this one family's stuggle to survive upped the intensity to 10. The family dynamic was deftly handled. I'm taking the wife to see it tonight, as I checked it out on my own on Thursday and everyone in there seemed to be raving about it when they came out.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see sequels but I hope 'Jim' just takes the money and moves onto an even more ambitious project. Based on this he's a hell of a screenwriter and director. This looks like this years Get Out (loved that too) hope it does really well.

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
the best James Cameron and Steven Spielberg films

Sinbad said:
reminscent of Spielberg and Cameron's best stuff.

you used this twice now. Which films are you talking about?

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well JK has said himself Jaws was a big influence but 
Theres a sequence that is strikingly similar to the most famous one in Jurassic Park

and is very reminiscent of Aliens too in the last act

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked this. A good, but flawed concept that was mostly well executed. Things are set up really well, but it kind of feels like the 2nd Act is just a relentless roller-coaster; it slips so seamlessly into act 3 that it's a bit of a shock when the film ends. All the silent scenes were well done, but some of the dialogue was a bit poor, particularly the 
father-son waterfall convo. That dialogue just wasn't believable. 

I liked the "less-is-more" approach with the creatures, although the end sequence in the basement is a bit pants. It just showed off the  design too much (which, by the way, was nearly a carbon copy of Stranger Things.)

My only other main qualm was the music being fairly unimaginative.
Plus - making the "shh" sign far too often... They've been in this situation for years - they know to be quiet!

Despite my complaints, this is definitely one of the better films I've seen at the cinema over the last couple of years. I would recommend it. 

I see what you mean about Spielberg, Sinbad. There are at least 2 scenes I associated with films of his, namely War Of The Worlds and Jurassic Park. The corn fields, by association, also made me think of Signs.

On another note, I've got to say - Michael Bay was the last name I expected to see on the credits!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I didn't share most of those issues, and I absolutely loved this film. My wife and I agreed though that:

They showed a bit too much of the creatures and that they seemed very Demogorgon. If I even thought once about editing this film, I would just trim back the visuals of the creatures. I had the same complaint for Edwards' Monsters.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would definitely agree on it feeling like two acts rather than three looking back on it.  I don't really have a problem with that though considering how ponderous and needlessly overlong a lot of films we see feel nowadays.  It was really refreshing to see a true white knuckle ride of a film again that still managed to fit all those emotional beats in to in a swift 90 minutes.  Best cinema experience I've had in years :)

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It was definitely refreshing. I thought the whole opening sequence was great, and the tension throughout the film is just insane. 

Nail. Bathtub. Baby - need I say more? 

I wouldn't have expected "Jim from The Office" to pull off something like this. A nice achievement for his second film. Hopefully we'll see some more gems from him as time goes on.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, continuing from the other thread, why did they have another baby?  On purpose?  Please tell me it wasn't on purpose.

Side note: the fact that I have to watch supplemental material to resolve a major issue with the movie is beyond stupid.  And unfortunately this is not constrained to this move (cough Grievous cough).

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
So, continuing from the other thread, why did they have another baby?  On purpose?  Please tell me it wasn't on purpose.

I assumed it was on accident.

Side note: the fact that I have to watch supplemental material to resolve a major issue with the movie is beyond stupid.  And unfortunately this is not constrained to this move (cough Grievous cough).

I didn't watch the supplemental material. What is the major issue you had? Put it in a spoiler tag if you like.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No need for spoilers, in fact I removed the "no spoilers" from the thread title since the movie is not new any more.

If they had a baby on purpose, that's incredibly stupid.  And really done just to make the movie have enough meat to last (almost) ninety minutes.

Even an accident would show questionable judgement.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
People like sex.

Plot hole filled.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't say it was a plot hole.  The movie is full of moments where the characters make questionable-to-stupid decisions and that was one of them, and I feel pretty strongly that it was poor writing to stretch a thin concept further.

I liked the movie overall, but it should have been much better.  The characters, who I mostly liked, kept randomly annoying the shit out of me with some of their decisions.  Having another baby was the worst offender though.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
People like sex.

Plot hole filled.

Not just the plot...

Sorry, that just blurted out of my keyboard before I could catch myself. :angel:

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I took it as an accident too either by a broken condom or ineffectual anti birth medication. It could also just have happened because they were grieving so much in a moment of madness. Yes they were trying to just stay alive but it's human instinct to procreate even in their dire circumstance it would become 'everyday' to face the alien threat at some point.  

I don't think not having the pregnancy explained in some clunky exposition scene with the daughter/husband had a detrimental effect on the film, in every other way they handled things relatively intelligently so it was fair to assume it was a slip up of some kind.  It would be impossible to be ''ON and ALERT' to the threat in every waking moment even sleeping raises major issues

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since it will be asked, here's another example.  The little boy who they lost at the beginning, he's super young.  You cannot trust him in this world where no sound can be tolerated.  You can't let him roam around in a store unwatched, you can't take batteries out of a toy and leave both just lying where he can get them again, and you can't leave him unsupervised so he can pick them back up and put the batteries back in.  It's poor writing that made me dislike the characters immediately.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
Q2 said:
People like sex.

Plot hole filled.

Not just the plot...

Sorry, that just blurted out of my keyboard before I could catch myself. :angel:

Apparently my joke wasn't so subtle. :)

Top Bottom