• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A New Hope Revisited: Special Edition

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't catch the blead through on the "HEY" until you pointed it out... Great catch! After I knew what I was looking for, I heard it loud and clear! So that is now corrected. I also adjusted the fades and made them blend better. I also took your advice on using a visual cue for the music change and it is now when they realize the door is jammed. Let me know if this seems better when I upload the new clip please. These are the things that are easy for me to over look and why I need your guys help...

Awesome, that all sounds like you got a handle on it, great to hear.

I am going to respectfully disagree with you here. The reason is that the last shot of the guys running in the hall are towards the camera and you know they are going past that point. So the door can easily be placed behind the camera.

I understand, that's reasonable, and this one was super "opinion-y".

The R2 and 3PO footage started with a shake but stops before we get the the R1 footage, and It doesn't look to me like there is any camera shake on the R1 footage either? I noticed the alarm sound is gone when we cut to this footage, but the alarm sound was never in that hall in the until Vader shows up. So I wasn't sure if I should add it or not. It did cross my mind tough. I don't know where I can find clean audio of that alarm to add it there plus I feel like the music would drown it out anyway? Thoughts?

I think the camera shake I'm seeing is just that the Rogue One shots are handheld but also there are sparks and fires going off, I do think you could add sounds to imply these are explosions but not necessary.

I do think adding the alarm to the Rogue One side would help hide the seams, even if it's quieter. I did some searching, and if you Google this "Looking for a sound effect : Tantive IV alarm" you'll find a reddit thread with that title where the sound was found isolated, I'm not sure about the quality, I didn't download it myself. Hopefully that helps!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just listening on my phone the transitions sound totally natural now to me. I'll listen on headphones when I get a chance to double check but I think you did it. Sorry I was so verbose, but great job!

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^The audio is smoother in several places, but personally I feel like the Imperial March cue comes too early here. If that music comes in when we cut to the star destroyer coming to swallow the ship, it matches thematically. But I had no problem with the earlier clip, so I guess it's up to others to decide which is more important to focus on, audio or theme.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you all for the help and feedback on the last clip. I feel much better about it now. I knew there were things off, but I sometimes can't put my finger on it because I'm too close to it. Also thank you addiesin for helping me find a clean alarm to add into that R1 footage. I added that and a "pop" during the opening flash on the scene and it works better now. Here is the next clip and as always, help and feedback is appreciated.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^For years I've wanted a version where Threepio says "This is madness!" and R2 says "Whoot-woo-wheeeee!" and Threepio says "What do you mean 'This...is...Sparta!'??"

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^For years I've wanted a version where Threepio says "This is madness!" and R2 says "Whoot-woo-wheeeee!" and Threepio says "What do you mean 'This...is...Sparta!'??"
Hahahahahaha 😂

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is the extended version of the last clip so you get an idea of how I am integrating the R1 footage a bit better. I think I will need to do some color corrections on the R1 hallway when I cut to it.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think your newer longer clip is working great. I'm not a stickler for color matching and color grading, I'm more of a "see it after it's pointed out" person in that area.

This shorter clip though, I do hear one issue right at the beginning, the blaster fire sound effects just cut off when the video cuts, around 2 seconds in. I think an L cut will serve well here. Simply extend the sound effect audio slightly past the cut, let the blaster fire sound finish or fade out or continue at reduced volume while the rest remains as is. Other than that small issue, it all plays out really solid.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think your newer longer clip is working great. I'm not a stickler for color matching and color grading, I'm more of a "see it after it's pointed out" person in that area.

This shorter clip though, I do hear one issue right at the beginning, the blaster fire sound effects just cut off when the video cuts, around 2 seconds in. I think an L cut will serve well here. Simply extend the sound effect audio slightly past the cut, let the blaster fire sound finish or fade out or continue at reduced volume while the rest remains as is. Other than that small issue, it all plays out really solid.
Awesome! Thanks again!

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Posting yet another clip. This is now the SC38 section of the movie...

mrbenja0618

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Posting yet another clip. This is now the SC38 section of the movie...

I think that works for the most part.

Just a thought, have you thought about darkening the scene a bit to hide some of the more obvious CG effects?

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think that works for the most part.

Just a thought, have you thought about darkening the scene a bit to hide some of the more obvious CG effects?
I can look at that to see if that will work better or not, but I don't want to darken it too much because then it won't work within the overall movie. I plan to revisit this again this weekend anyway. Appreciate the suggestion.

SIUse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
love this project so far and i agree on mrbenja suggestion regarding the cgi. But other than that, spot on for integrating reimagined sc38!

But i wonder, if you’ll wait to contiune/redo this edit when adywan finished his 1080p upscales?

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for saying that! I'm happy to hear that you are excited for this and like what is being done so far.
I started this edit over in 1080 already lol. So you are seeing that version. I needed to do it because of the Rogue One footage not blending well. So it's not the Adywan edition of the movie. I used a blend of standard 1800 and the despecialized addition to get a simular experience.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just occurred to me, I need a new title for the edit...

A New Hope: Vader Unleashed
A New Hope: Revisited

Any other suggestions? I'm not using the revisited as the base edit anymore, so the title I was going by doesn't make sense...

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Vader Unleashed" isn't bad. Though honestly, he's much more leashed than in the original fan film, or in those games. Some alternatives:
"The Power of the Dark Side Edition"
"Master of Evil Edition"
"Ascension Edition"
or....
"Obi Wan-derful Edition"
"Hot Jedi on Sith Action Edition"
"Scream, Wilhelm, Scream! Edition"

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Vader Unleashed" isn't bad. Though honestly, he's much more leashed than in the original fan film, or in those games. Some alternatives:
"The Power of the Dark Side Edition"
"Master of Evil Edition"
"Ascension Edition"
or....
"Obi Wan-derful Edition"
"Hot Jedi on Sith Action Edition"
"Scream, Wilhelm, Scream! Edition"
Hahahahahaha Hot Jedi on Sith for the win!

Top Bottom