• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A New Hope Revisited: Special Edition

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Before I ran with The Lat Jedi edit that I am doing and realized that I needed to rework some of that, I went and did an edit of Episode IV. I started out with Adywan’s version of the movie because I like his the best. Then after seeing sc38 reimagined, I wanted to (Like many people I’m sure) splice parts of that into the movie. I cut the bad CG moments and only used what flowed with the original. I didn’t just “drop” it in.
Then I figured, as long as I’m updating that, I could also splice in some Vader that I cut from Rogue One into this. (Yes, I’m working on an edit for that movie too lol but this isn’t where I plan to talk about what I’m doing there). I also have a slightly updated Death Star Explosion.

So the idea is that I update the movie a bit with some newer footage and a few other cuts that I will post later. I know that this will not be to a purist liking. This is just some fun I thought I would have. I like the Adywan approach of keeping the parts of the updated footage that was less offensive. This edit keeps that spirit. This isn’t a whole new movie like I did with The Last Jedi.
When adding the SC 38 footage, I am working on removing some of the PT dialog that was dubbed in. It’s fine as a stand alone fan piece, but it doesn’t work in the actual movie. So I’m re-scoring parts of it.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is the first teaser. I'm only uploading parts of the updates so you get an idea. If I show all of it, then there would be no point in watching  :)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, I know it might be blasphemy, but I think this may become my preferred version of ANH!  Looking forward to it, Lantern51!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's hoping the people behind SC38 make more along the same lines so everyone can set about using their potential footage for all the OT films.

I noticed in the first sample (0:17) there sounds like a hard cut, that or the music stops for a brief micro-second before picking up again.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Here's hoping the people behind SC38 make more along the same lines so everyone can set about using their potential footage for all the OT films.

I noticed in the first sample (0:17) there sounds like a hard cut, that or the music stops for a brief micro-second before picking up again.

That is exactly the feedback I need to know. Things like that get past me. Not because I don't look for them, but because my hearing has never been perfect. I have a cut that you can watch if you like and please tell me anything you feel needs to be touched up.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for letting me see this edit @"lantern51" 

I really like where you're going with this, I remember watching the now banned Forceghostrecon's version and disagreed with him using the entirety of the Skariff battle of Rogue One as a "prelude" to the titles, here you use the Rogue One footage of Vader attacking the guards in a way that serves A New Hope exclusively, which was more of what I was looking for. 

There are times where the audio transitions are well executed, though there are some parts that require touching up. Time stamped examples:

00:03:10, audible hard cut
00:03: 17, audible hard cut
01:55:11 very audible Hard cut, the music just cuts off.

Fix those bits and we'll be cooking with gas...I'll look over it one last time to see if I missed anything.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:

I really like where you're going with this, I remember watching the now banned Forceghostrecon's version and disagreed with him using the entirety of the Skariff battle of Rogue One as a "prelude" to the titles, here you use the Rogue One footage of Vader attacking the guards in a way that serves A New Hope exclusively, which was more of what I was looking for. 

There are times where the audio transitions are well executed, though there are some parts that require touching up. Time stamped examples:

Fix those bits and we'll be cooking with gas...I'll look over it one last time to see if I missed anything.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I will look and see how I can correct these. I appreciate the help!

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:

I went back and looked at these. Maybe I was wrong to do it this way and I will look at another way of scoring these but here was my thinking at the time. 
00:03:10, audible hard cut - That was the music used for the original scene where the Star Destroyer captures the ship, so I thought it would be nice to use it there too. It just may not work with the new footage though?  

00:03: 17, audible hard cut - Again, I will double check this, but I thought this was the natural musical cut there. The tempo changed after that. Again, I may simply have picked the wrong music to score here. I will look into the music again. I wanted to keep as much of the original as I could.  

01:55:11 very audible Hard cut, the music just cuts off. That was the music from the source. I pulled the audio from The Despecialized Edition v2.5

I have other input with areas I need to fix as well. So I will look into all of these again. I am starting from scratch because (Long Story Short) I lost my editing files while working on my Last Jedi edit. So I'm doing that one from scratch as well. Let me know if you spot anything else. You are a seasoned editor, so I trust your opinion! I will post updated and any music ideas that I have to fix the listed above as I get a chance to do them.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK guys, I have a video upload here of an updated Death Star explosion and I want feedback please...

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lantern51 said:
OK guys, I have a video upload here of an updated Death Star explosion and I want feedback please...

BTW... I'm questioning the quality of the Death Star before it explodes. I may have made the image too large?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd say darken the image a bit, shrink it only a small bit, and slow down the movement of the star background. Otherwise, I think it looks fantastic. Where is the explosion from?

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I'd say darken the image a bit, shrink it only a small bit, and slow down the movement of the star background. Otherwise, I think it looks fantastic. Where is the explosion from?

Hey man! nice to hear from you again! I will try that out and see how it looks. I took the explosion from Thor Ragnarok and lined it up and cropped it.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Huh, neat! I never would've guessed. You did an excellent job cutting from the Deathstar to the explosion by the way.
Also, for the record, I meant to darken the image of the Deathstar, not the entire image. I'm not sure if it came across that way or not.

As it is, the Deathstar looks like a flat image overlayed on the stars, I think the changes I mentioned would make it blend in more and give it a bit more depth. I could be wrong though!

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Huh, neat! I never would've guessed. You did an excellent job cutting from the Deathstar to the explosion by the way.
Also, for the record, I meant to darken the image of the Deathstar, not the entire image. I'm not sure if it came across that way or not.

As it is, the Deathstar looks like a flat image overlayed on the stars, I think the changes I mentioned would make it blend in more and give it a bit more depth. I could be wrong though!

That is the actual Death Star shot from the movie before it explodes lol, not anything I created. It probably wasn't as noticeable until I made the image larger.  But I will play with it and see what I can do.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lantern51 said:
That is the actual Death Star shot from the movie before it explodes lol, not anything I created. It probably wasn't as noticeable until I made the image larger.  But I will play with it and see what I can do.

Honestly, chances are that, knowing that the clip was edited, I was looking too closely for changes. If that's the original image, then by all means, don't change anything. In the context of the full movie, I wouldn't even notice that anything was off. I watched the clip repeatedly looking too closely.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
lantern51 said:

Honestly, chances are that, knowing that the clip was edited, I was looking too closely for changes. If that's the original image, then by all means, don't change anything. In the context of the full movie, I wouldn't even notice that anything was off. I watched the clip repeatedly looking too closely.

LOL... I get that a lot in both my edits. People think that I did an edit or cut the music and it wasn't a change that I made at all  :angel:

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I played with it a little bit. I can't make the Death Star smaller because I need the screen to be filled with stars in the background and there would be a empty black bar on the bottom if I made it smaller. So I played with the contrast a bit to slightly darken the shot up and hopefully hide the defects of blowing up (Pun Intended) the image....

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Much better! Though there's a shot of the original explosion before the added explosion that wasn't there before, was that intentional?

Top Bottom