• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A New Hope Revisited: Special Edition

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys. I know things are VERY slow moving on this project. I am sorry about that. I work 60 hours a week right now and between that and trying to buy a place (I'm tired of renting), it's honestly been hard to get back to the editing game. 

I will get back to this and finish it up. I know of 4 things that really need to be corrected and I will do that. If there are any editing errors that you noticed, please let me know and that way, when I can dig into this more, I can hopefully get this right for everyone. I do not want to disappoint anyone. 

After this edit, I will be jumping into my Last Jedi edit to finish that.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm moved in to the new place and things are pretty much set up now! I will have a release again here soon. I even got a 1080p monitor to help make sure visual quality is better than last time!

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey everyone, for those who partake, I hope you all had a great holiday weekend! I have completed another version and cleaned up the quality, so baring anything technical, that I overlooked, this is the one guys and gals!

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After doing your other poster for the last jedi I decided to do this one too but with the same style I hope you like it :)
zAfpd68.jpg

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[quote="It']
After doing your other poster for the last jedi I decided to do this one too but with the same style I hope you like it :)
zAfpd68.jpg

[/quote]

It's gorgeous

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Honestly, this is one guy (me) that doesn't think the helmet is that obvious. If that's what you're focused on in the scene, the movie isn't doing its job.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I went over the current edit with DigMod and he gave me some very good constructive feedback. I am practically going to be re-doing this from scratch using a blend of the Blu-ray special edition and Harmys to achieve a similar affect but with upgraded quality so the R1 footage blends better. So people who were wanting this in HD are going to be very happy :D .

When I get to the SC38, I might rework some of this just for the sake of blending the 2 difference sources better. Aside from more color regrading than I did last time, I want to look at the camera work to see how I can keep it similar. I'm also going back to reuse the original ship capture instead of the repurposed R1 footage. Personally I like that footage but I don't need it. Anyway, it's just less work I have to do in the future version. I feel that now me having a 1080 monitor I will be able to better do this. 

I have been looking into different software's again. I typically use VSDC and I really like it, but it doesn't let me feather the wipes that I want to add. I looked at a copy of Vegas because I know it's popular. It seems easy enough if you can get it to load a file LOL. I don't want to go through all that trouble so I looked at Pinnacle Studio and if you were able to turn off their "smart editing" then that would be a major player, loved it aside from that. But it's owned by Corel and I found a physical copy of last years version cheap for Video Studio Ultimate and it looks the same as Pinnacle but without the not so smart stuff. That should be here on Monday. 

If anyone is looking for a copy of Vegas on the cheap, talk to DigMod because he has something called a Humble Bundle going on. I was very tempted to be honest. This little hobby of ours can get a little costly and I wanted to thank DigMod for helping to keep that cost down for us.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
lantern51 said:
If anyone is looking for a copy of Vegas on the cheap, talk to DigMod because he has something called a Humble Bundle going on. I was very tempted to be honest. This little hobby of ours can get a little costly and I wanted to thank DigMod for helping to keep that cost down for us.

Humble Bundle is actually a charity website that gets software companies to agree to bundle their software at extreme discounts for extremely limited windows of time. You can choose how much you want to pay (the bundles have tiers usually) and you can also choose what percentage of your money goes to the software developers vs to the charity. It's really cool. Dig keeps an eye on it for software that might be helpful to editors here but he isn't otherwise affiliated with them (to my knowledge, but hey who really knows). The site is worth checking out even if not for fan editing stuff.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Because I'm starting from scratch to do a full 1080 edit, I had an idea to restructure the R1 Vader footage to keep the flow of the movie a little closer to the original. Let me know if you like this or the way I had it lined up before please.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't remember what it looked like before but this looks great. Makes it clear that the Rebels we see here are in a different passageway, before the one in ANH. I seem to recall the earlier version looking almost like two different corridors Vader was entering? Almost like R1 and ANH were showing different versions of the same entrance? Maybe it was only confusing for me.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool and thanks! It's slow going because I just got over COVID-19. I'm a OK now so I am trying to get moving on this again.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, man, good on ya. I've had 3 friends and a family member get it, despite all taking best precautions. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, even my worst enemy. Well...

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lantern51 said:
Cool and thanks! It's slow going because I just got over COVID-19. I'm a OK now so I am trying to get moving on this again.

I had it myself recently, glad you're on the mend and back to work :)

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
lantern51 said:

I had it myself recently, glad you're on the mend and back to work :)

Good to see that you are doing OK after having it too!

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was thinking of  taking a new look at the opening and I have 2 ideas I want to run past you all. You can see the video above is my first idea. My goal there is to make that the guy in the hallway holding something is insignificant as possible. At least what he's holding is hopefully not even a thing you are thinking about. 

But then I had another thought. What if I went all in on this instead of trying to hide it? 

Neither of these have sound because that is the heavy lifting in any edit and I would be redoing a lot of work there. So I wanted to start with the visual flow and see what you think is better?

Top Bottom