• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A little help picking a program please..

Ducktailjiver

Reaction score
Trophy Points
hello ,
First I would like to say there is some fine talent on this site. have enjoyed many wonderful fanedits!

I would like to get into the wonderful world of fan-editing. My first attempt will be an easy one. Take the sound from The Animated Hobbit VHS and replace it with the one on the dvd. (no sound effects as we all know). I motly want to add in deleted scenes from some movies and trim down a few scenes in others. Nothibg to fancy for now.

My question is whats a good program to start off with. Whats the one most of you guys use?

I have pretty much mastered audio editing..having worked with Cool edit/Audition for many years. But I've never done any video editing and need a new hobby.. thanks to all who can help point me in the right direction..

George

I always recommend Vegas Studio Platinum if you're on a budget. There are options at $60 and $80, and you can find older versions for around $40.

I second that as I also use Sony Vegas and very happy with its abilities.

If you are looking for free alternatives, there are some which are quite adequate for basic editing ( and advanced editing)
On windows you can use Lightworks, videopad, shotcut, Blender, jahshaka, ivsEdits LE ( I have used them all for personal edits). Videopad is the easiest to use and blender and Lightworks are the most capable
On Linux there are more choices,
I am not a Mac user, but I remember coming across a couple of free NLE for Mac, Try Google
For Audio editing, Audacity is an excellent cross platform program

So I'm currently on a Mac and I am thinking about switching back to Windows (I made the switch to Mac during Vista). Apple's new computer designs and what feels like a hatred for their legacy products as well as the limited options for customizing and upgrade-ability have really turned me off from Apple.

I have been using Final Cut Pro X and have been thinking about switching to Adobe Premier Pro. I can get used to PP before I make the switch to Windows since it is available on both OS. I read through this thread http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showthread.php?9079-Sony-Vegas-Pro-Vs-Premiere-Pro&highlight=vegas and was wondering if there were any reasons besides price that people seem to prefer Sony Vegas over Premier Pro.

On Linux there are several choices, all capable and yet still terrible. Cinelerra is pro-level, features-wise, but a complete mess. Blender is amazing, but it's really not an NLE as much as a great piece of animation and graphics software. KDEnlive might be the best, but it's still messy. Openshot used to be good, but the dev has spent the last two years on a complete rewrite that's still not finished. A simple, but good one is Flowblade, and it should be enough for most edits.

KobaKommander said:
So I'm currently on a Mac and I am thinking about switching back to Windows (I made the switch to Mac during Vista). Apple's new computer designs and what feels like a hatred for their legacy products as well as the limited options for customizing and upgrade-ability have really turned me off from Apple.

I have been using Final Cut Pro X and have been thinking about switching to Adobe Premier Pro. I can get used to PP before I make the switch to Windows since it is available on both OS. I read through this thread http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showthread.php?9079-Sony-Vegas-Pro-Vs-Premiere-Pro&highlight=vegas and was wondering if there were any reasons besides price that people seem to prefer Sony Vegas over Premier Pro.

I think price is the main one, but I have had a little bit of experience with Premier and in my opinion it's much more difficult to use and to get a good quality result. Not sure if that's the consensus, it may just be a familiarity thing.

I actually like Final Cut Pro X quite a bit but I don't think I want to stay on Apple hardware just to use one program. Adobe is on the Creative Cloud now so it would only be like 20 bucks a month for Premier and that gives you access to all the newest updates. I wish Sony Vegas was available for Mac so I could try a demo of it and compare the two for myself.

Has anyone tried Lightworks?

I wanted to try it but read online reviews (as well as info from these forums) that it was kind of a steep learning curve and the look and feel of it was not as intuitive as FCP or PP.

theslime said:
On Linux there are several choices, all capable and yet still terrible. Cinelerra is pro-level, features-wise, but a complete mess. Blender is amazing, but it's really not an NLE as much as a great piece of animation and graphics software. KDEnlive might be the best, but it's still messy. Openshot used to be good, but the dev has spent the last two years on a complete rewrite that's still not finished. A simple, but good one is Flowblade, and it should be enough for most edits.
[MENTION=7760]theslime[/MENTION], I agree Cinelerra has a terrible interface and a steep learning curve but if you stick with it you will have a professional class NLE, and there are several good tutorials on YouTube. Actually, Blender has a very good NLE module, but you have to fiddle a bit with it to get the right settings, but once you've got it right it is as good as any first class NLE, it is also very stable and of course cross platform;-)

I will say that beyond price, another good reason to go with Vegas is that it's very intuitive. I had never once done any editing of any sort before using Vegas, and I picked it up in no time. I did try Womble once (they had a brief promotion where you could get it for free), but I found it far less user-friendly.

do not use womble. just no.

I've tried a lot of different editing programs, and I prefer Vegas by a long shot. It's really powerful, and I even use it for recording/mixing music demos. As Frink mentioned, the price of Vegas Studio is a great bargain.

Vegas is terrific. Tons of bang for your buck, very easy to learn. It has a few quirks, but they're very easily overcome. I really don't have anything to compare it to, mind you. Before that, all I used was Windows Movie Maker. But at the very least, I never found myself bothering to explore the other options out there. Vegas works very well for me.

Thank you for your post, I have some editors to choose from there.

If Vegas' pricing is an issue, Sony Movie Studio is kind of its little brother program. They do a lot of the same things, and the interface is very similar. You can usually pick that up for around $60. That's what I started with (well before that I used Womble, which is in fact not a good choice.)

I've used Windows Movie Maker, iMovie, Premiere Elements and Movie Studio Platinum for editing and I agree with the concensus - Movie Studio/Vegas is the way to go. The Movie Studio Platinum Suite isn't too expensive, and will allow you to do 5.1 audio editing, export to AVCHD and includes a copy of DVD Architect Studio for DVD authoring.

Back
Top Bottom