• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A line Problem

Pedantic Contrarian

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I am close to finishing my Ghost Rider Fanedit which comprises of the Extended Edition of the first film and the normal version of the second film but I've found some technical issues that I am having trouble getting rid of, for the footage of the first Ghost Rider movie there's a very faint line at the top of the screen and for the footage of Ghost Rider Spirit Of Vengeance there's a line going down the right side of the screen. I suspect that they might be errors that occurred while the DVD's were burning either that or the Ghost Rider films are simply just badly made in the technical department, I don't think it has anything to do with Interlacing as I tried various methods to Deinterlace the edit and the lines would not go away. If anyone knows how I can get rid of these lines I will truly be grateful and if any Faneditors wish to provide direct assistance and gain access to the edit in order to remedy the problem I'll be sure to credit you when I eventually submit my edit to the IFDB.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you're using DVD's instead of blu-ray, there's a chance the line was caused because of Overscan settings in the factory: TV's used to zoom in on the image, losing the information in the "overscan" area. So no one saw that line thus no one cared.
With HD there no more need to zoom because the image can be shown more precisely. That's when lines become visible. The only solution is to do the same thing that old TV's do: zoom in until the line falls outside of the picture. Lots of software can do that for you, including Handbrake and Vegas Pro.

Pedantic Contrarian

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you're using DVD's instead of blu-ray, there's a chance the line was caused because of Overscan settings in the factory: TV's used to zoom in on the image, losing the information in the "overscan" area. So no one saw that line thus no one cared.
With HD there no more need to zoom because the image can be shown more precisely. That's when lines become visible. The only solution is to do the same thing that old TV's do: zoom in until the line falls outside of the picture. Lots of software can do that for you, including Handbrake and Vegas Pro.
I don't have Vegas Pro but I do have Handbrake what settings should I adjust so that Handbrake can zoom in?

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Depending on the software you use to make your edit, you can possibly crop the image as part of your editing process. Then you need to render once instead of twice. You'll see the lines while editing, but they'll get chopped off once you render your project.

For quick help on Handbrake, google "how to crop in handbrake". If you can wait, I'm happy to screenshot the relevant menu settings and post that here with a brief explanation.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If the lines are consistent and in the same place you could just import an image of a black stripe and resize and reposition it in your video editor to cover the line for the whole timeline. Then you retain your DVD-compliant video size/dimensions and don't lose quality by zooming in. If the line is 2 or more pixels wide, consider centering the clean video content with an even amount of black on left and right sides for OCD viewers' sake.

Pedantic Contrarian

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Depending on the software you use to make your edit, you can possibly crop the image as part of your editing process. Then you need to render once instead of twice. You'll see the lines while editing, but they'll get chopped off once you render your project.

For quick help on Handbrake, google "how to crop in handbrake". If you can wait, I'm happy to screenshot the relevant menu settings and post that here with a brief explanation.
All's sorted now thanks for the assist I appreciate it.

Top Bottom